Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: With the 14th pick in the 2011 Draft, the Rams select Robert Quinn, DE, UNC

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Re: With the 14th pick in the 2011 Draft, the Rams select Robert Quinn, DE, UNC

I don't think the fact the he accepted some jewelry conflicts with the 4 pillars AT ALL.

That said, I'm all right with this pick. But I'm not gonna lie, that tumor thing scares the hell out of me.
    ZiaRam likes this.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

I didn't think there was a chance that Quinn would be available at #14. It's definitely exciting to know we have a twenty year-old DE who has not even scratched the surface of his abilities yet and had dominated the last time he was on the field. An immense blend of value and need and can slide in at RE when he gradually gets up to speed -- love the pick!

Tom_SF is offline Registered User

Sounds like a good pick too. Spags likes him.

Anyone else notice the Rams official site has a message board again?

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

I still can't beleive DE R. Quinn was still on the draft board. He was mentioned as a possible number 1 pick in the entire draft, on a few moch drafts.
    Well if the Rams draft a DT in later rounds I would be happy. Maybe Marvin Austin, Jurrell Casey, S. Paea or T. McClain in later rounds in draft.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Wow, wasn't he supposed to be a top 5 pick? Surprised me when I woke up this morning and looked at who the Rams pick.

SWFCRAM is online now Registered User

When you see Devaney's face at the post draft press conference, he looks like the cat that got the cream. That run of quarterbacks just couldn't have worked out any better for us and makes last years choice look even better.
    Robert Quinn should be a fantastic partner for Chris Long for years to come. Welcome to the Rams!

AlphaRam Guest

My only concern is that he didn't play ball last year. We will see what happens with him.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I can't imagine how anyone could have a problem with this pick.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    lordwhttgr likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

WTF?!? We use our 1st round pick on a guy with previous medical concerns who didn't play in his final college season?! When has that ever worked for the Rams?!?!

Oh, wait a minute....
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Ok, seriously.....who thought the top pass rusher would be sitting there at 14? I certainly didn't. Thanks to the QB run, he runs through the grinder between #6 thru #12 where the whole world thought he would go.

I'm excited about grabbing this custom-fit RE to pair with Chris Long.

I do have concerns though, and let's face it, every single prospect has some concern. Mine......he played two seasons with his sophomore year being the most productive with 11 sacks & 19 TFLs. Great numbers, no doubt. But in that 13 game season, 8 of the 11 sacks and 10.5 of the 19 TFLs came from 3 games (Virginia, Duke, East Carolina). So in the other 10 games, he managed 3 sacks & 8.5 TFLs.

Now, don't hear me wrong......Quinn was the right pick; absolutely. I've never heard a concern of inconsistent effort; it's just that I would like to see a consistent production.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

Bradford didn't play either and look what we got.

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    Heck I'm not complaining, just concerned about the kid. His tumor may be benign but that can still be dangerous if it makes contact with vital organs, which is near his brain. I hope he can remove that through surgery.
    I thought it was already removed by surgery back when it was diagnosed.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I think this was the best thing that could happen to us...yes even better than Julio dropping.
    Quinn being there was excellent, but better than Julio dropping? It sounds like you're working on a career in P.R.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    I didn't think there was a chance that Quinn would be available at #14. It's definitely exciting to know we have a twenty year-old DE who has not even scratched the surface of his abilities yet and had dominated the last time he was on the field. An immense blend of value and need and can slide in at RE when he gradually gets up to speed -- love the pick!
    Agreed, I thought Quinn was going to be the choice for San Francisco @ 7. Instead, they took Smith (whom I think is a worse fit in the 3-4 than Quinn would have been). Then, Houston had be nervous due to their need at 3-4 OLB, but they took Watt. Then Minnesota was on the clock and the top three QBs were off the board, so I was sweating that one a bit as well, but they took... Ponder? The run on QBs worked in the Rams' favor, and we've come out of the first round with arguably a Top 5 talent with the 14th pick. I just hope this medical team has really done their due diligence. The brain tumor has me slightly nervous, but I trust that they wouldn't make the selection without thoroughly exhausting their resources evaluating it. Really excited to see he and Long become a terrorizing force in the league!

thermobee is offline Registered User

How about his teammate Little in the 2nd?

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    So now we add the character risks? Awesome. Yes, I know we need help on the line, he has all this fabulous upside, and the wideouts were long gone, but I've become very tired with the "swing for the fences" draft strategy that doesn't hit nearly as often as it should.

I'd rather we played it safe and went with Liuget.

I would like to learn more of this strategy, and where it was applied.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

And just in case anyone was wondering, Devaney said the cardinal sin in a draft is to not do your due diligence on a player because you didn't think he would fall to you.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast