Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: With the 14th pick in the 2011 Draft, the Rams select Robert Quinn, DE, UNC

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Re: With the 14th pick in the 2011 Draft, the Rams select Robert Quinn, DE, UNC

Simply incredible. I had us taking Aldon Smith primarily because I thought there was no way a talent like Quinn could fall to us at 14.

Well I am happy to say that I was wrong!

This is another example of why the NFL Draft is what it is...

WHAT SAY YE?

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

I'm not going to lie, I had some mixed feelings on this pick at first. One we have Hall (who at 34 is still very productive.) Two, we have Selvie and Simms coming off the bench.

BUT, considering most pro mock drafts had this guy going in either the top five or six picks, it's pretty hard to complain about picking this guy up at number 14 without having to reach for him. Also, any player who gets compared to J Peppers and Mario Wilams sounds like a win to me.

But, the best thing about the draft? Every team in the NFC West (except for the Rams) still needs a starting QB and all the best prospects are long gone. More importantly, we now have a guy who can make those crappy NFC West QB's look even worse!

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by mikhal
    Every team in the NFC West (except for the Rams) still needs a starting QB and all the best prospects are long gone.
    Heck of a point, mikhal. Granted, the Cards and whiners walked out with talented defenders (btw, Hawks? Carpenter in the 1st? Really), but none of them improved their passer.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quinn gives Rams mighty boost up front
    Posted April 28, 2011 @ 10:47 p.m. ET
    By Dan Arkush
    Pro Football Weekly

Rams head coach Steve Spagnuolo loves defensive ends. Always has and always will.

It did not matter that he seemed to be in pretty good shape on the edges entering the first night of the 2011 draft with former first-round pick Chris Long starting on the left side and productive 11-year veteran James Hall, who had a team-leading 10.5 sacks and six forced fumbles last season, starting on the right side.

When North Carolina’s Robert Quinn was unexpectedly still available at the 14th spot overall, Spagnuolo simply could not resist the temptation to add another end to his arsenal.

The fact Hall turned 34 in early February might have had something to do with the decision to add Quinn to a defense that made a quantum leap last season in sack production. While Hall shows no signs of slowing down just yet, his best days are behind him.

After overcoming numerous obstacles — most notably a benign brain tumor and a suspension by the NCAA last season for accepting travel accommodations and jewelry from an agent — Quinn’s best days are clearly ahead of him.

In addition to those obstacles, there were many draftniks who believed many of Quinn’s 11 sacks and 19 tackles for loss as a true sophomore came against inferior competition.

But Quinn emphatically eliminated a lot of question marks with a stellar effort at this year’s Combine, hardly looking rusty after a year off. He displayed an off-the-charts first step and the speed and mobility of a linebacker in Indy.

It could be that Quinn’s presence enables Hall to move inside on occasion, which the hardworking vet is more than capable of doing.

In any event, the Rams’ defense is really starting to resemble the high-powered defensive unit Spagnuolo assembled as the coordinator of the Giants.

The one quality that stuck out on those defenses were the ends that just kept coming at opposing offenses in waves.

With Robert Quinn on board, look for that same kind of relentless pressure from the Rams on a regular basis this coming season.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Love this guys intangibles and has alot of upside. I have some glaring concerns however:
    The brain tumor can affect his longevity regardless of how good he is in let's say 3 years,
    He is only 20 in which I'm skeptical if he will be a impact within this first year without playing last year (heck maybe he'll be motivated and at 100%),
    and mostly just a question I assume he is a natural RE right? going against the opposing teams LT. Hope he can make a impact!

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

I can only imagine the Whiners and Tards really just giving evil glares at the Shesquawks for unleashing this two-headed beast in the NFC West, luckily they're playing for us.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    I don't think the fact the he accepted some jewelry conflicts with the 4 pillars AT ALL.

That said, I'm all right with this pick. But I'm not gonna lie, that tumor thing scares the hell out of me.
    The NCAA's been cracking the whip on impermissible benefits the last few years. That you failed to take heed of the warnings does not speak well of your intelligence and awareness.

Building the line is fine and all, but right now if a play gets past the line, the defense is in a lot of trouble. Let's see what we do with OLBs and Safeties before recommending insurance salesmen for opposing QB.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I think he's done his time. With all the talent North Carolina lost from suspensions, they could have made school history and in a good way, not in the black mark on the school's reputation that they became. Quinn may well have personally cost himself millions. So I'm willing to give him a chance to redeem himself. Also, regarding the tumor, he has apparently been living with it his entire college career and hasn't had any recurrences.

Personally, I love this pick. I don't think I could have justified moving up to #5 overall to jump in front of the Falcons' play for Julio Jones, and once he was gone, this was a better situation than most of us probably expected. Not only did we get a top pass rusher, but we got one with the explosiveness that many of us felt was needed to complement Long's motor and technical skills. We may have gotten the best pure pass rushing prospect in the entire draft.

Are we gonna give him the #42 like he was in college? Surprisingly enough, I'm still not over the fact that Bradford chose #8 instead of his college number #14. If anyone of you recalls, Sam Bradford picked #8 because of Troy Aikman. Though he is a respectable QB as much as I despise the Cowgirls and their ability to overexpose themselves despite looking ridiculously stupid in the 2010 season, I wanted him to build his legacy on his own paint, starting from the number.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    I can only imagine the Whiners and Tards really just giving evil glares at the Shesquawks for unleashing this two-headed beast in the NFC West, luckily they're playing for us.
    Speaking of two headed monster did anyone notice this

Ht / Wt / Arm length / Hand size / 40-yd dash / 10-yd split / 20-yd split / 20-ss / 3-cone / Vert / Broad / BP / Wonderlic

6 ft 4 in / 265 lb / 34 in / 10⅛ in / 4.60 s / 1.61 s / 2.67 s / 4.31 s / 6.99 s / 34 in / 10 ft 5 in / 24 rep / x

6 ft 3 in / 272 lb / 32 in / 10⅛ in / 4.75 s / 1.53 s / 2.71 s 4.21 s / 7.02 s / 34 in / 10 ft 4 in / x rep / 34

Hard to read but you get the point. That is Quinn on top and Long on bottom. They are very similar in stats so lets see what happens this year. Hall maybe losing his starting RE spot.
    Last edited by sjacksonrules; -05-01-2011 at 04:21 PM. Reason: typo

thoey is offline Registered User

Nice find. Here's hoping we get a FA DT and make this D Line monstrous.
    This space for rent...

RealRam is offline Registered User

Come all without, come all within,
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quinn.

-- Mighty Quinn by Manfred Mann (Lyrics B. Dylan)
    All the best to you, young man!
    May you have a great career and enjoy being a successful Rams DE!

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

I don't see how anyone could disagree with this pick. No it isn't a need pick and yes it would of been nice to have Jones or Fairley drop to 14 but Quinn is as good a talent as there is in this draft. To pick at 14 and get a guy who could of been a top 5 pick is great value.

Just looked up NFLshop.com and found out that his number will officially be #94, I guess #42 won't be there seeing that it's an unusual number for a DE.

QuinnMan is offline Registered User

I am so excited for Robert Quinn after seeing him play for the Tarheels, he is such a unbelievable athlete and pass rusher. I follow the Panthers since I live in NC but don't have a NFl team. I've followed 'The Mighty Quinn" and will continue to support him and the team who picked him, lucky I knew somebody already on this site!
    Anyways Quinn should contribute right away for the Rams and I'm looking foward to watching his games this year.
    A+ pick up and Hello Ram Fans!!
    Last edited by QuinnMan; -05-05-2011 at 08:05 PM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast