Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: With the 158th pick in the 2011 Draft, the Rams take Jermale Hines, DB, Ohio State

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

With the 158th pick in the 2011 Draft, the Rams take Jermale Hines, DB, Ohio State

Height: 6011
    Weight: 219
    40 Yrd Dash: 4.61
    20 Yrd Dash: 2.63
    10 Yrd Dash: 1.62
    225 Lb. Bench Reps: 19
    Vertical Jump: 31
    Broad Jump:
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.21
    3-Cone Drill: 6.90

NFL Draft Scout:
    Overview

Although his uncle, Joseph Hines, played on Penn States 1983 national championship team, Jermale decided to stay in-state to play for the Buckeyes. The depth in the team's defensive back and linebacker corps limited his contributions early on, but he has made scouts take notice over the past two seasons.

Hines bided his time on special teams units as a true freshman, his career starting five games late due to questions about his eligibility, before earning more playing time as a safety/linebacker hybrid in 2008 (31 tackles, two for loss, and three pass breakups) and 2009 (57 tackles, 3.5 for loss, and two interceptions) -- when he unseated veteran Anderson Russell for a stretch. And though his 2010 stats weren't eye-popping as the starting free safety (66 tackles, two for loss, one interception, four pass breakups), Big Ten coaches voted first-team all-conference.

On the hoof, Hines looks like an NFL starting strong safety but his speed and agility allowed him to play centerfielder as a senior. His relative lack of big plays may prevent him from being a really high pick, but his size, speed and athleticism could make a team believe he will be a real bargain in the third or fourth round.

Analysis

Positives: Prototypical strong safety build but has the speed and agility to play in two-deep and man-free. Very strong attacking plays in front of him in coverage or in run support. Lays out receivers over the middle, but can also use his length to wrap up. Good agility to stay with out-routes run by tight ends and slot receiver. Knocks away passes from behind with closing speed and long arms--without interfering. Also separates the ball from the receiver with strong hands and powerful hits. Avoids receiver and lineman blocks using his hands and quickness.

Negatives: Smaller NFL receivers will challenge his short-area quickness in coverage. Runs around blocks in space, fails to get off them when engaged. Freelances when sniffing out quick screens, can be fooled by misdirection. Needs to wrap consistently instead of lowering his shoulder against bigger receivers and tight ends. Turned 23 in November 2010.
    Sideline Scouting:

Positives: Has a decent mix of size and speed, height and bulk are solid... Is a very solid wrap-up tackler, does not miss a lot in open space, has the ability to make the big hit... Played strong safety in 2010, but seems versatile enough to play multiple positions in the defensive backfield... Is tough and physical, a true presence over the middle, can make receivers pay for crossing the field... Heady player, understands the game and knows his keys... Ball skills are solid, not a unique playmaker, but doesn't drop a lot of easy balls... Durability and character not much of a concern, no real issues to speak of.

Negatives: Did not have a great statistical career at Ohio State, only recorded 159 tackles and three interceptions in four years... Needs to work on pursuit angles, not a great downfield tackler when the play gets behind him... Will get out of position by biting on play action and double moves, is a little too aggressive in attempting to stop the run... Not great at getting off blocks from bigger blockers when playing in the box... Not much of a man-to-man safety, will have difficulty lining up with quicker slot receivers in the NFL.
    National Football Post:
    An intriguing athlete who was used at safety and as a nickel back last season. Exhibits decent range and overall body control for a guy his size and generates some power into contact as a tackler. Displays above-average instincts as well for someone who doesn't have a ton of starting experience. But, needs to tighten up his footwork in his drop, as he has a tendency to get a bit leggy and will struggle to cleanly get out of his breaks and generate a burst for himself toward the football. A strider who picks up speed as he goes, but doesn't have the kind of quick-twitch ability to consistently close on the football.

Impression: A big athlete who has the skill set to at least intrigue at the strong safety position, but is mostly just an intriguing developmental/free agent type prospect.
    Sporting News:
    Strengths: Hines is a strong, physical and aggressive run-support player near the line of scrimmage. Has strong hands to jam and redirect the slot receiver, while serving as a nickel back in sub-packages. Tackles more like a linebacker than a safety. Has value on special teams.

Weaknesses: Doesn't have a true NFL position; could play safety or linebacker. Lacks the athletic ability, speed and range to be an effective coverage player. Has no explosiveness, burst to close or acceleration. Has choppy, awkward footwork in the open field. Struggles to make tackles in the open field.

Bottom line: Hines has some growth potential and may develop into a weakside linebacker in time. As a safety prospect, he has only average athletic ability and is only worth grabbing late in the seventh round.
    Last edited by Nick; -04-30-2011 at 03:29 PM.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Re: With the 158th pick in the 2011 Draft, the Rams take Jermale Hines, DB, Ohio Stat

Damn! I wanted another reciever! (kidding)

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: With the 158th pick in the 2011 Draft, the Rams take Jermale Hines, DB, Ohio Stat

Is this the DB that Spags and Devaney loved?
    He seems like an SS, the kind of safety Spags likes in his D

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

LOVE LOVE LOVE this pick!

I had Hines in one of my early mocks (removed him only because I had the Rams take a Rahim Moore in my final mock).

He is big (6'3, 219) and can hit. In some ways, he could be a combination of a SS and a WLB. He may not be a guy you want covering an elite TE, but he'll make the run defense better.

Good player and good value (plus the Rams added a third 7th rounder in trading down in Round 5).

Thumbs up!
    Jonze likes this.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Love the pick, although I'm a homer. This guy is going to bring the pain the way Spags likes from the Safety position. Played the hybrid linebacker/safety position, so he'll be great in our nickel packages.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

This definitely strikes me as a Spags DB pick. Those who like to say he wants a balanced safety are being generous. He wants a guy who will lay a hit that sends the receiver to the locker room for a change of pants.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    He is big (6'3, 219)
    He measured in just a shade above 6'1" at the Combine, but I think you're right. I see him in that hybrid DB/LB role that Spags likes near the line of scrimmage.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

All joking aside, I really like this pick! Sounds like he will help the defense a lot in run support.

Bing69 is offline Registered User

Sounds like the guy they really loved. His profile fits perfectly for what Spags is looking for 1 of the safety spots, someone who can play up at the line of scrimmage and can lay the wood!!

Love it

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

Everything I've read about this guy gives me one impression: He likes to lay the wood. The technique can be taught, the game speed will come, but you've either got the killer mentality, or you don't. This pick excites me.

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

Good pickup! Can bring lots of support to the run defense.

Rammed is offline Registered User

If nothing else this seems like an excellent special teams player. Something that still is undervalued in the later rounds in my opinion. You won''t always get that diamond in the rough or that position guy that will not break the roster at his position but if you get a solid special teamer thats great. You need a couple of those on your team.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

First pick I like since Quinn. Seems like a Spags kind of DB. Thumbs up.

Rammed is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    First pick I like since Quinn. Seems like a Spags kind of DB. Thumbs up.
    And those recieving targets aren't McD's kind of players?
    Ramendola16 likes this.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Lays out receivers over the middle
    I like the sound of this! We have not had one of these guys in a while. I'm looking forward to seeing a big hitter in action. I'll bet Spags is happy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast