College: North Carolina
    Conference: ACC
    Hometown: Boiling Springs, SC
    High School: Boiling Springs HS
    View Combine Page >>

Combine Results:
    Bench Press : 27.0 reps

Overview
    Foster made North Carolina's basketball team as a walk on in 2005 and played in five games for the eventual national champions. Great things were expected from him on the football field as well as a top recruit from South Carolina, but he did not step into the forefront during his four years in Chapel Hill. He averaged 32 catches for 412 yards and two touchdowns over his career (30-334-2 in 2008), occasionally making a big play but never becoming "the guy." His triangle numbers intrigue scouts, who acknowledge his unique athleticism. Had an arm span of 32 inches and a hand span of 9 5/8 inches at the combine.

High School
    Ranked the No. 11 prospect in South Carolina by SuperPrep. ... Ranked among the top 25 players in South Carolina by The Charlotte Observer. ... Caught 56 passes for 759 yards and seven touchdowns as a senior. ... Returned 10 kickoffs for 275 yards and scored two touchdowns. ... Member of South Carolina's Shrine Bowl team. ... Caught four passes for 72 yards in the Shrine Bowl. ... Caught 35 passes for 500 yards and scored eight touchdowns as a junior. ... Coached by Jeff Snipes, a former assistant coach of NC State's Dick Sheridan.

NFL Draft Countdown analysis:

Height: 6-01/2 | Weight: 211 | 40-Time: 4.45

Strengths:
    Very smooth and an outstanding natural athlete...Great size and bulk with long arms...Terrific timed speed...Explosive with a burst...Good hands and ball skills...Elusive and runs well after the catch...Will stop on a dime and change directions...Could also contribute on special teams...Hard worker...Humble and a team player...Has a ton of upside.

Weaknesses:
    Still pretty raw and will need some development...Isn't a great route runner...Not very strong or physical...Was not much of a vertical threat in college...Has trouble getting off the line when jammed...Just an average blocker...Durability is a concern...Was not real productive.

Notes:
    Walked on to the 2005 NCAA champion Tar Heel basketball team and played in five games...Did not record a catch in 2005 but did see some action on special teams...Was limited by a quad injury in 2007 and even sat out one game...Underwent arthroscopic knee surgery late in the 2008 season...Had to share the spotlight with fellow future pros Hakeem Nicks and Brandon Tate in college...Might still be a better athlete than football player at this point...Not a finished product by any means but has all of the physical tools that you look for...Should test out well in workouts and could move way up draft boards but will be chosen based more on potential than what he has done on the field.

Sporting News War Room analysis
    Strengths: Shows quick footwork and deceptive playing speed. Gets off the line and accelerates to full speed quickly to close cushions on cornerbacks. Shows burst out of cuts to gain separation. Shows hands, body control and concentration to adjust to off-target throws and make tough catches seem routine. Shows better-than-expected strength to drag tacklers for extra yards after contact. Excels as a special-teams gunner, flying downfield to make tackles or down balls.

Weaknesses: Looks thin. Had arthroscopic knee surgery in December. Is an inconsistent route runner, and struggles to create separation. Lacks size and strength to break tackles and must work on releasing against physical press coverage.

Bottom line: Foster came into his senior season regarded as part of a strong tandem of receivers with Hakeem Nicks, but ended up being the No. 3 wideout after the emergence of Brandon Tate. Even though his knee injury will not cost him much time, it heightens concerns about his durability. That said, Foster's playmaking ability should allow him to become an elite No. 3 receiver who also makes a splash on special teams -- if he stays healthy.
    Last edited by Nick; -04-26-2009 at 03:56 PM.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Re: With the 160th overall pick, the Rams select Brooks Foster, WR, UNC

I'm undecided if I like this pick or not..

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Wasn't Louis Murphy still there, and with a name like Louis, weren't the Rams obligated to take him?

Just kidding, ok pick.
    Semper Fi!

tdog08 is offline Registered User

Well there is no real positions we need now anyway I wish we could got a DE but we should be compettive with this draft

ramsfan559 is offline Registered User

nah
    louis was taken earlier

general counsel is offline Registered User

Looks like a nice little swing for the fences to me. If it works out, its a great pick as it would fit a need. I like the reference to special teams. If it doesnt, so what, its only a 5th round pick.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

for a late 5th round pick..he`s very much worth that pick IMHO..he may not have grabbed the headlines in college football..but he has some tools that may develop him into grabbing them in the Pros...great physical numbers..

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Don't know about this one. Billy and Spags said they wanted guys with production and obviously this guy doesn't have that. He's another H-W-S guy and that seems like a running trend under Devaney. We also traded for Laurent Robinson who fits the same mold, so he really wants to hit on that potential eventually. Let's hope this guy can do it.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Ya I agree... I don't think anything past the 4th round picks are a reach. Lets just hope our scouts found a gem in the later rounds. Its about time we need to find a great pick.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I did a google image search for "Brooks Foster" and here's what came up:

Let us hope it is a minor mistake....

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Good pick, i like what Scott Wright said about him - "ton of upside", i'm hoping they spend the last two picks on a QB and a RB

sorted the photo ...............................

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    Good pick, i like what Scott Wright said about him - "ton of upside", i'm hoping they spend the last two picks on a QB and a RB
    Wait a second, we still need depth at TE and S

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

you tubed him and he shows signs of elusiveness, kinda reminds me of Isaac Bruce. There could be some potential here, especially on kickoff or punt returns. I think we can develope him.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I'd hoped for a DE or another LB with SAM potential but this guy is intriguing.

Not strong or physical? How about the top bench press number for a WR at The Combine? Ten more than Barden,btw.

Strange how reports on his 40 speed vary from sub 4.4 to 4.5 We'll see, I guess.

This guy was looked at hard by a number of teams ,inc The Patsies, so apparently the decisionmakers weren't as put off by the unimpressive stats as the pundits were. Maybe playing with talent like Nicks and Tate had something to do with that?

I think if the medical assessment was sound, we may have a new KR/Punt returner option and someone who could develop into a key role player @ WR like Hakim or Proehl.

from a pro day report on carolina dot scout dot com:

* If you had to pick somebody to woo the pro scouts at last month’s NFL combine, it would be weight room phenom Brooks Foster. But after having arthroscopic surgery on his right knee in early December, the Boiling Springs, S.C. product was unable to return to full health for the Senior Bowl or the combine.
    Foster still managed to put up 225 pounds a stunning 27 times on the bench press at the combine, but his speed and lateral movements did not equal his peak performance.
    “[The combine] was a lot more intense than this,” Foster said. “Out here you can have a lot more fun… I was kind of disappointed in myself. I wanted to go out there and show what I could do, but I wasn’t ready. I didn’t want to go out there and chance it, so I figured it would be smart to come here and impress. That’s what I tried to do today.”
    His efforts appeared to pay off, as the wide receiver turned in a 4.39 in the 40-yard dash, while posting a 37-inch vertical and a standing broad jump of 10-4.
    “He’s running really good,” Davis said. “Early reports were that he ran a 4.37 or a 4.38. I think that there’s a big ceiling on him. He’s going to continue to improve. One of the things that I think the scouts have been impressed with him – as well as some other guys – is their willingness to play out of their position, because if you’re going to make it in the NFL, you’ve got to be a significant contributor on special teams.”
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -04-26-2009 at 03:58 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast