Thread: From 17 to 7

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

From 17 to 7

7. Rams (2006 Rank: 17)
    Another year, another 4,000 yards or so and 24 touchdowns. Bulger may be the most consistent quarterback in the league. He rarely has a truly bad game, and when he does (like last season's 151-yard, zero touchdown, seven-sack effort against the Panthers), it's pretty obvious that there were breakdowns elsewhere on offense. If Rex Grossman could take Marc Bulger pills, Bears fans wouldn't need so much ibuprofen to get through the fall.

Backup Gus Frerotte is a streak shooter with a great arm and tons of experience. Ryan Fitzpatrick is a fleet-footed Ivy Leaguer who throws well on the run. Neither could lead the Rams to the playoffs, but both could win a game in a pinch.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7...40813162&ATT=5

RnD

GO RAMS!!

Keenum is offline Registered User

Re: From 17 to 7

Awesome! I do think Foxsports is starting to give the Rams some respect.

But remember, this is just based on quarterbacks. I don't think they'll have us that high in the power polls.... yet.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Keenum View Post
    Awesome! I do think Foxsports is starting to give the Rams some respect.

But remember, this is just based on quarterbacks. I don't think they'll have us that high in the power polls.... yet.
    That's probably because there are a good six or seven teams who can be seen as more well rounded than we. There are a lot of holes on this defense (like you didn't know that)

On the other hand, how are the Eagles better off at QB? Donavon Mcnabb got hurt the last 3 years, and Backup Jeff Garcia, who quite miraculously led the team to the playoffs is now the starter in Tampa.

itsguud is offline Registered User

These power polls by the "experts" are amazing. I already have $200 on the rams with friends that they will make the playoffs... thats it!

$200 just that they'll make the playoffs, and all thanks to the opinions of the experts who say that the Rams won't get anywhere.... HA!

Thanks experts.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I thought we would be higher than the Seahawks and Saints.

Bud Light Guy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Why would you think that?

SEA won the division last season and NO went to the Conf Champ. last season. Although SEA didn't improve from this offseason, they also haven't gotten any worse either, not only that but last year showed that they are capable of beating STL with their backups.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Light Guy View Post

SEA won the division last season and NO went to the Conf Champ. last season. Although SEA didn't improve from this offseason, they also haven't gotten any worse either, not only that but last year showed that they are capable of beating STL with their backups.
    Boy, I'm a die-hard Ram fan and I wouldn't put the Rams ahead of the Saints or Seahawks, for the same reasons I wouldn't put the Whiners or Cards above the Rams. As Bud Light Guy touched on, in a pre-season "power" poll you have to put the Rams somewhere around 16th (middle of the league) based on their 8-8 record from 2006. Until they step on the field and prove that the changes they made in personnel were a step in the right direction, how can you say the Rams are better than the Hawks or Saints, both of whom had better records last year, and the Hawks beating us twice? Is it based on hope? Sure, we all hope they're better, and we all hope they're a playoff team, but I'd be afraid to lay down any real money on them just yet. Heck, I'm a big-time Ram fan and I'm NOT from Missouri, but I say; "show me".
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    As Bud Light Guy touched on, in a pre-season "power" poll you have to put the Rams somewhere around 16th (middle of the league) based on their 8-8 record from 2006.
    The problem with that is this article isn't a team ranking, it's ONLY about teams QBs. So it's obvious that the Rams are higher up on the list than say 16th when it comes to our QBs.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Bud Light Guy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Boy, I'm a die-hard Ram fan and I wouldn't put the Rams ahead of the Saints or Seahawks, for the same reasons I wouldn't put the Whiners or Cards above the Rams. As Bud Light Guy touched on, in a pre-season "power" poll you have to put the Rams somewhere around 16th (middle of the league) based on their 8-8 record from 2006. Until they step on the field and prove that the changes they made in personnel were a step in the right direction, how can you say the Rams are better than the Hawks or Saints, both of whom had better records last year, and the Hawks beating us twice? Is it based on hope? Sure, we all hope they're better, and we all hope they're a playoff team, but I'd be afraid to lay down any real money on them just yet. Heck, I'm a big-time Ram fan and I'm NOT from Missouri, but I say; "show me".
    Good post. At this point in the season the only real thing anyone has to hang their hat on is speculation and what teams did last season. The Rams went 8-8, missed the playoffs, and is mediocre at best. Trust me I know what mediocre is as I'm from Kansas City and they've been mediocre ever since Carl Peterson (18yrs, how he has a job still I have not a clue with only 3 playoff wins to show for during that time) has been in charge with the exception from a few seasons where Marty did his annual thumb up his you know what, choking act in the playoffs.

As far as KC goes (not that anyone cares) they are ranked 20 something and lower on many power rankings I've seen. I think that is a fair assessment even though they made the playoffs last season (with the help of a miracle from the football gods - 4 teams had to lose and did, KC backed in). KC plans on starting Brodie Croyle this season, who hardly has any playing experience in a real game besides some garbage time up in PIT last season where he threw 3/7 2 INTS, one being a pick-6. How's that for boosting a young QB's confidence?? A mediocre at best WR core along with a patchy Oline makes this team's ranking. Defensively the Chiefs are more set than they have been in the last 10 years. I honestly think KC's ranking is fair.

I watch a lot of Rams games. They are usually on FOX while KC is on CBS. The Rams defense last season was awful against the run. If you wanna win games on defense you MUST stop the run, there's no ifs ands or butts about that. You don't stop the run, the other team controls the clock and the ball, and last but not least keeps the Rams defense on the field longer. If you wanna stop the passing game you must have a good interior push, especially in a cover 2 scheme which the Rams will run. If you can get some interior pass rush this is a middle of the pack defense. Your LB's are fast, but they're small, which is a liability in the running game. If sucks you have to face Alexander and Gore twice a season, but I same the same thing about the Chiefs when facing LT and Denver's "illegal" cut blocking scheme they run which injures at least one player for a season at some point in the year. Losing Brown hurts, because the depth in the secondary is paper thin. Tye Hill will be a very solid player one day, but he must step up this season while Brown is out.

I honestly think this season's turnout will be about the same as last year's. Rams will finish anywhere from 7-9 ro 10-6. It's just gonna depend on how the cards fall and injuries etc. It's gonna be a 3 way race for the division title, and no one in the NFCW will win the WC in this division. But like I said, at this point in the season you can only speculate and base things on last season. Looking on paper doesn't really cut it, unless you're on the east coast and I don't wanna even get into that. If you look at the Rams on paper on offense, there really aren't many teams that are better.

QB Bulger
    RB Jackson
    WR Holt, Bruce, Bennett, Hall (KR) you're asking him to commit suicide if you put him into WR sets on the field, and returns tire him out when being placed on offense.
    TE McMichael
    OT Pace, Barron (needs to cut down on penalties, but as far as talent, he's good)

I try and give credit where it is due. I'm not much of a KC homer. I try and evaluate as a fan what the team is good at and what they are bad at, etc. The Rams are a great team offensively, and have been pretty much since the 99 Super Bowl season. But there has been some terrible drafting in recent years that are going to set this team back a few seasons unless FA really pays off. You have DE Little, one of the best pass rushers in the NFL, who's the main source of your pass rush. Witherspoon was solid in CAR and is still solid, but other than that the players on defense are mediocre, and there are many holes to fill. You brought in Draft and Hall, which are upgrades from what you had no doubt, but I still don't think it's gonna put you in a position to win games on defense. I still see this teams getting into shootouts (a lot) this season.
    Last edited by Bud Light Guy; -07-16-2007 at 05:00 PM.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Light Guy View Post

Why wouldn't he think that? Since this article is about ranking teams QBs (including backups) it's a fair statement.

Reading is fundamental.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    Why wouldn't he think that? Since this article is about ranking teams QBs (including backups) it's a fair statement.

Reading is fundamental.
    Okay, okay, I have to confess. My bad. I'm trying to read and respond while I'm at work and obviously I missed some key points about this thread. :x

I'll wait 'til I get home before I try this again.....
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968