Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1999 or 2001?

SteelDynasty is offline Registered User

1999 or 2001?

Rams fans... which do you feel was your best team, the 1999 Rams or the 2001 Rams?

Personally, as a non-Rams-fan observer (although I do kind of like them), I'm going to say the 2001 team was better. They lost in the Super Bowl and finished with less points scored and more points allowed than the 99 version, but overall they were still much tougher. They finished the regular season one game better, including a regular season mark of 6-1 vs teams with a winning record, and Kurt Warner was really at the top of his game. He threw a lot of INT's that year, but that was acceptable because of the style of player he was... a gunslinger. He really was the perfect prototype of a big play, gun slinging QB that year.

But then again, the 1999 team may override all that other stuff because they actually won the big game. Which is why I'd like to get some Rams' fans opinions on this.

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Re: 1999 or 2001?

I probably would have said the '01 team too last week. But after getting a chance to re watch our SB victory I would say the '99 team was better. That defense was killer. We could win a sloppy hard hitting type of game with that defense and we did in the NFC championship game that year beating the Bucs 11-6.

BigDaddyPace is offline Registered User

The 2001 Rams are the best Super Bowl team that nobody will ever know about.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyPace View Post
    The 2001 Rams are the best Super Bowl team that nobody will ever know about.
    i second that,that 2001 team was one of the best teams of all time,

general counsel is offline Registered User

The 2001 team is the best team that didnt win it all. You cant call them one of the all time greatest teams since they didnt win the superbowl, but it was a better team than the 1999 team.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    The 2001 team is the best team that didnt win it all. You cant call them one of the all time greatest teams since they didnt win the superbowl, but it was a better team than the 1999 team.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    yes you can, i don't think just because they didn't win that game eliminates them from that discussion,considering the way that game was allowed to be played.would you still say that Marshall Faulk is an all time great if he didn't win SB34.

blood85 is offline Registered User

The 01 team. That season, they were a juggernaut. It's a shame they couldn't "close the deal", but hey it happened.

GreatestShow99 is offline Registered User

2001 by a close margin. That team went 8-0 on the road. Only 3 teams have done that since the 1970 merger and have gone on to the SB.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

:l

The 1999 Rams squad was 'The Best Team'

I don't know if a person can truly put it into words. Call it chemistry, desire, destiny, whatever it was, they had what it took to get it done.

The 2001 Rams squad might have had more talent, better stats or more flash, but they were not 'The Best Team' in my opinion.

:l

PARamfan is offline Registered User

The defense in '01 finished ranked 3rd overall,'99 we were middle of the pack.Offenses were both #1.'01 team played a much tougher schedule than'99 and finished 1 game better.I watched the replay of SB 34 the other night also and I noticed some eerie similarities to the playcalling that were evident in SB 36 but nobody noticed because we won.To me it was evident even in that game that there was no balance to the Martz offense and a superior defensive mind would always give him problems(Dungy in TB,Haslett in NO,and unfortunatley Belichik).

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

The 01 team was the better team, however the 99 was the better coached team. Had Vermiel been the coach of the 2001 team, could of possibly done serious damage with realistic chance of undefeated season. And who knows at least 3 rings total!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

SteelDynasty is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PARamfan View Post
    The defense in '01 finished ranked 3rd overall,'99 we were middle of the pack.Offenses were both #1.'01 team played a much tougher schedule than'99 and finished 1 game better.I watched the replay of SB 34 the other night also and I noticed some eerie similarities to the playcalling that were evident in SB 36 but nobody noticed because we won.To me it was evident even in that game that there was no balance to the Martz offense and a superior defensive mind would always give him problems(Dungy in TB,Haslett in NO,and unfortunatley Belichik).
    Well, technically, the 99 Rams' defense wasn't middle of the pack... it was 7th overall and #1 against the run, which is still very impressive.

But the 2001 team's defense was overall a little better IMO. That whole team was just amazing... so dominant everywhere despite such a tough schedule. It's rare that a team goes through a season and just emphatically lets everyone know who the best team in the league is like that. I'd say along with the 1968 Colts and 1978 Cowboys, the 2001 Rams were one of the best teams to ever lose a Super Bowl.

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

It should be noted that in ESPN's top 80 SB teams of all time when they ranked not only the winners but the losers that the 01 Rams finished way ahead of the 01 Patriots.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

The 01' team was better over all; we just got riped in the big game due to cheating.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

The '01 team was more dominant during the regular season and to go 8-0 on the road is a big achievement.That was a fun year to watch,unfortunately came up short.'99 was even more memorable because we came from laughing stock to champs in 1 year with a cinderella story at QB.2 great years to enjoy being a Rams fan without being ridiculed...:l

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast