Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: 2008 NFL DRAFT RAMS PICK (Round 2, 33rd overall): Donnie Avery, WR, Houston

I, for one, am thrilled with this pick. I've been an Avery backer for months. For the Rams' needs, I had him rated the #3 WR behind DeShaun Jackson and Devin Thomas.

The Rams, who have more access to information than I do, had Avery ahead of those two guys. In Thomas' case, it might have been a bit of the "one year wonder" thing. In Jackson's case, it was likely a character issue to an extent (plus, perhaps the size issue).

The Rams needed to do one of two things in the second round (a) take an OT, or (b) get a WR who can stretch the field. After the run on OTs in Round 1, that really was not an option. Instead, they got the guy they feel can fill the need at WR.

When I heard his name called, I cheered.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Milan View Post
    If Dan Connor slips that far I'll be ecstatic. The Giants will most likely select him though.
    Well Giants didn't get him, this is where this draft pick (Avery) could have made sense. You need a speedster that can provide some depth at receiver and help in returns.

Then in the 3rd you draft Connor. All we need now is a tackle!!! Not the best, but a suitable selection for our needs. C-

#2 2008 NFL DRAFT RAMS PICK (Round 2, 33rd overall): Donnie Avery, WR, Houston-draft.jpg
    Last edited by LA Rammer; -04-26-2008 at 10:21 PM.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I had Avery ranked as a second rounder. I figured he was about fourth best receiver in the draft but maybe third best for the Rams behind Thomas and Sweed. I think most of us could agree that we needed a deep threat, and we got one. He's about as fast as they come, running the third best 40 time at the Combine on a pulled hamstring. He was productive in college. He had a great pro day workout. He doesn't have any arrests or suspensions or anything of that nature in his record. And most importantly the team had their choice of anyone, and this is who they wanted. It's not a reach in the sense of taking a player that isn't really what you want because you don't have options. We got our man here. That's what you need to remember here. Given the number of receivers who went in the second round, there's no telling how quickly he might have gone off the board if we traded down.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Don't know much about Avery on an intimate level, but looks like a nice pick to me. He is EVERYTHING we need in a wideout right now. I'm definitely with Avenger on this one ...

Can't wait to see what this guy can do ....

Milan is offline Registered User

Connor in the third please. He's one of the best LBs to ever come out of Penn State. It's a wonder what a so-so combine can do for your draft position.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think Connor would be a fine pick for the third round, but I have to ask...

How many of you who reacted to Avery with a "WHAT!?!?" would have been fine with Connor as a second round pick? I bet a lot of people had him as a late 1st rounder. Well... guess what? He's still on the board.

Guess what we think and what Mel thinks does not always match what the teams think.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think Connor would be a fine pick for the third round, but I have to ask...

How many of you who reacted to Avery with a "WHAT!?!?" would have been fine with Connor as a second round pick? I bet a lot of people had him as a late 1st rounder. Well... guess what? He's still on the board.

Guess what we think and what Mel thinks does not always match what the teams think.

That's part of the reason why I was upset. I was really high on Connor and thought the pick woulda been better spent there. If we grab him in the 3rd, this will be an all-round better draft than if we had gotten him in the 2nd.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Here is something to help put things in prospective

Pick 17. Pittsburgh takes WR Charles Johnson
    Pick 21. Detroit takes Jonnie Morton
    Pick 24. Giants take Thomas Lewis
    Pick 29. Cleveland takes Derrick Alexander
    Pick 30. Cinci takes Darney Scott

Finally pick 33. Rams take some no name kid out of Memphis named Isaac Bruce.

So do we really know who is the best without giving him a chance.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Once everyone gets over the shock of the Rams passing on bigger names at WR, I think a a deep breath and a calm head makes this pick much more understandable.

The Rams needed to add speed to their receiver corps. This should be an undisputed fact. Holt is losing his speed because of his knee injury. Bennett is a tall guy, not incredibly fast. Caldwell isn't going to burn you. Avery is one of the fastest guys in the draft, and he has much better size than DeSean Jackson.

It seems obvious that NFL teams don't view this WR class as having a lot of top talent. Devin Thomas went right after we took Avery, but then the Packers took Jordy Nelson. Jordy Nelson! Right now Jackson, Sweed, and Kelly are still on the board. Eddie Royal went above all of them. Jackson's weight is probably worrying some teams. Sweed's injury could be the cause of his slip. Hardy has off the field character concerns that probably caused him to drop to Buffalo's second rounder.

Avery has elite quickness and is a deep threat. He has a lot of starting experience in college and was very productive. His ability to change direction is considered to be top notch. He needs to work on his route running and his ability to beat the jam at the line, but those are the kinds of things that can be taught. Legitimate 4.3 speed cannot. I think he'll be a good fit in Saunders' scheme, definitely a guy who could be a weapon in multiple receiver sets. He can also contribute as a special teams player, which the Rams can always use.

Again, the fact that Jordy Nelson got picked over Jackson, Sweed, and Hardy demonstrates that NFL boards may not have had the WRs valued in the same manner as most fans and some analysts. I suspect there may not be as much difference in grade between Avery and some of these other guys, at least not as much as some may think.

For those saying we could have had him later, there's absolutely no way of knowing that. That's based on fan and analyst pre-draft rankings, none of which predicted the first round being WR-less.

I'm disappointed...however...We think there is no rhyme or reason as to why he got picked so early in the 2nd round. But honestly, I doubt Bill Devaney and Al Saunders weren't involved with the pick. Clearly there IS a reason for the pick. Personally, looking at the stats and whatnot, I think he'll fit in the Saunders offense just fine. And clearly he has talent, and if he's willing to work for it, he has two phenomenal mentors in Holt and Ellard.

There was no receiver this year that WOW'ed me. There was no one that great at all to be honest and although this was a big reach, it may wind up being a great pick.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

More Bernie...

And that's crazy... the SI "undrafted free agent" thing.

They must have forgotten to update the page.

He's 31 on the list of the top 99 prospects in the War Room...

War Room compares him to Ted Ginn Jr...

The NFLDraftScout.com compares him to Kevin Curtis.

He ran a 4.43 on a bad hammy at the combine...

and on his pro day, after he got healthy he ran in the low 4.3s... with a low of 4.29 ...

NFLraftScout.com also describes him as one of the "most underrated" talents in the draft.

Again: I ain't saying the dude is John Stallworth.

But some of you are being completely ridiculous.

By the way: Rams 4.1 YAC last year, 30th in the league, and worst since they moved to STL.

--B

On the War Room's "Super 99" list of top prospects, Avery was 31st.

So you can believe who you want to believe, and that's fine.

There are varying opinions out there ... personally I don't see any reason to be so sour...

--B
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Well I Hope he proves to us critics that he was the Best WR in Draft by having a super career !
    I was hoping for Trevor Laws DT. DT Glover won't play forever.
    Defence builds Championships !!!!!!!!!!
    Dan Conner or Beau Bell would be great .
    People say Carl Nicks OT !
    Who knows

Rambos is offline Registered User

We need a slot receiver, yes, but playoff teams draft for need...teams with a 3-13 record should not sacrifice talent for need--what upsets me is that if we are picking him there, with no other WRs off the board it should be saying that Avery is the best WR in this draft, and its hard to imagine that so many people would have him rated lower if he was in fact the best WR
    With that said, most of us are criticizing this pick because he's not a big name and we've never seen him play...what's done is done--give him a shot and hope he works out
    Look most had Dorsey as the best player in the draft, but needs has its place when you make your pick. We needed speed,a slot WR, with no issues.
    Last edited by Rambos; -04-26-2008 at 11:19 PM.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Milan View Post
    That's part of the reason why I was upset. I was really high on Connor and thought the pick woulda been better spent there. If we grab him in the 3rd, this will be an all-round better draft than if we had gotten him in the 2nd.
    Be carefull what you wish for.....

Guys the Rams draft is not about pleasing us fans. What we fans think is best in most cases maybe far from what is best for the team. However, the process and the hoping for players we want is fun but try to take it with a grain of salt.....

Go Rams....

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Fellow Ram Fans .
    You Don't think Jordy Nelson or a Limas Sweed for the #2 WR on Rams would have been better.
    Bennett is a good Red zone threat but I don't think he is a every down or #2 WR.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    Be carefull what you wish for.....

Whoa, you really think Dan Connor will be a bad pick?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast