throwback week

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: 2008 NFL DRAFT RAMS PICK (Round 2, 33rd overall): Donnie Avery, WR, Houston

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    For those bent out of shape saying he was the #11 ranked WR out there, keep looking cause you will also find places that have him ranked as high as #4 and many have Sweed, Jackson, Caldwell and Hardy ranked lower.
    For what it's worth, Avery was the fifth receiver taken in my final mock draft, selected at #43.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    I don't know what everyone else is mad at, but I for one am mad at the value of the pick. I think we could've traded back to the early 40's to grab him so that maybe a team that wanted Brohm/Henne could snag them there at #33.
    Brohm and Henne lasted until picks 56 and 57 respectively. Doubtful you're going to get a team to bite on trading to 33 to get either of them when they fall more than 20 picks after selection.

And I should add that although he is a tad faster than DeSean Jackson, Jackson is younger and he has much better hands than Avery. Avery catches alot of balls with his body where as Jackson uses his hands all the time and is being tutored by Rice, which is why I was a bt peeved about the pick.
    Avery is faster, taller, and has more weight than Jackson. He's not only more experienced and just as productive, but blew Jackson away when it came to three-cone and shuttle drills as well. Not only that, but Jackson has some potential character issues whereas Avery is praised as a character guy - obviously an important aspect for the Rams right now. The Sporting News among other sources rate Avery's hands as being very good. I don't think Jackson being two years younger has much impact, to be honest.

you can tell this was Scott's pick all the way.
    Judging by the reports that they asked Saunders who was the best fit for what he wanted to do, it sounds as if this was Al's pick all the way.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamWraith is offline Registered User

From April 25th--
    Scout Russ Lande on Avery

When talking about the top wide receivers in the 2008 NFL draft, there has been much talk about the falling stock of both Michigan’s Mario Manningham and Oklahoma’s Malcolm Kelly. Meanwhile, Michigan’s Devin Thomas has been the biggest riser up draft boards.

One receiver who should be talked about more, however, is Houston’s Donnie Avery. Avery, viewed as somewhat of a raw receiver even after the ‘07 college football season ended, was once likely to be a third-round pick. Since then, however, his strong performances at the Senior Bowl—where he took coaching so well to improve his game throughout the week—at the Combine and in his personal workouts have caused teams to value him higher.

Avery’s value shot up even more when teams in their draft meetings could get a better look at his acceleration, speed and elite explosiveness on game film. Now, he should be one of the first speed receivers drafted, possibly as high as the late first round.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Avery’s value shot up even more when teams in their draft meetings could get a better look at his acceleration, speed and elite explosiveness on game film. Now, he should be one of the first speed receivers drafted, possibly as high as the late first round.
    Should continue to quell any talk of the Rams being able to get him later in this draft.

Personally, I'm pretty excited to see what Avery can do on the turf in the dome, where that speed, quickness, and ability to change direction will really be maximized.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Ramer Guest

Let's give Avery a chance. He has the speed to be deep a treat. I feel he is going to turn out to be a pretty good receive. However, I feel he still would have been around in the 3rd.
    Last edited by Ramer; -04-27-2008 at 01:31 PM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Donnie Avery Height 5'11" Weight: 186

Torry Holt Height: 6-0 Weight: 190

This is what I like, he's not a real small guy. He has some size and we know he is fast.

however, his strong performances at the Senior Bowl—where he took coaching so well to improve his game throughout the week
    We know he will be learning from two of the best, Holt and Henry.

You can't teach speed.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I don't know what everyone else is mad at, but I for one am mad at the value of the pick. I think we could've traded back to the early 40's to grab him so that maybe a team that wanted Brohm/Henne could snag them there at #33. We'll, here's to hoping Dan Connor is the pick tomorrow. *Crosses fingers*

And I should add that although he is a tad faster than DeSean Jackson, Jackson is younger and he has much better hands than Avery. Avery catches alot of balls with his body where as Jackson uses his hands all the time and is being tutored by Rice, which is why I was a bt peeved about the pick.

And for Bernie, he brings up Ellard and Saunders which is fine. But if you ask Haslett and the defensive coaches input on the first pick it's for Dorsey, yet we clearly didn't go that way. That does not mean a whole lot when Devaney and Linehan clearly have their own agenda and you can tell this was Scott's pick all the way.
    Why would we think this was Linehan's pick. He dumped Curtis for Bennett. If anybody fits Linehan's trend of big, slow guys, it would be James Hardy. This has the fingerprints of Al Saunders looking for a guy in the mold of Santana Moss.

DeSean Jackson may be the smallest receiver in the NFL. He's about 170 lbs., which means there will be few defensive backs who don't outweigh him by at least 25 lbs. They won't necessarily be slower than him, but they will almost undoubtedly be stronger. And at his size I think you'd almost have to expect injuries will be a problem. Avery wasn't top of my list going into the draft, but I predicted Jackson would fall.

Personally, I figured we'd go for Devin Thomas there, but I really don't think you can assume Donnie Avery would have been there if we even traded down three or four picks. Receivers were flying off the board in that round, which the Rams seem to have correctly anticipated, and they weren't really in the order any of us would have predicted.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Devin Thomas is tagged as big hit or big miss. He has only done it one year, Avery has done it over time. Rams can't miss in this draft and so far we have no real reaches and all needs. No QB slash WR. SS slash OLB. So far after 4 rounds looks good IMO.

shroomysoup Guest

So why didn't the Rams take DeSean Jackson?

Instead of Donnie Avery? Jackson is an electric kick returner who has game-changing ability and he runs better routes and has better hands. He was a projected late 1st round pick, while Avery could have been taken in the 3rd round. Avery needs to work on his route running and he catches balls with his body. If they wanted a slot receiver, they should've taken Jackson.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: So why didn't the Rams take DeSean Jackson?

Quote Originally Posted by shroomysoup View Post
    Instead of Donnie Avery? Jackson is an electric kick returner who has game-changing ability and he runs better routes and has better hands. He was a projected late 1st round pick,
    ... by people who don't work for NFL teams. Remind me... what team is Mel Kiper the GM of?

while Avery could have been taken in the 3rd round.
    Anyone who still believes that is just not paying attention.

Avery needs to work on his route running
    In a pre-draft interview, Avery said that ALL receivers should work on their route running. I like that answer.

and he catches balls with his body.
    In the same interview, he admitted that he did that for a few games because he was playing with a dislocated thumb. When it healed, he went back to catching the ball with his hands.

If they wanted a slot receiver, they should've taken Jackson.
    Jackson was my top rated receiver too, but the scouts (not only the Rams' scouts, saw him as a second round guy). He also is reportedly a bit of a headcase. Avery does not have that reputation.

Mooselini Guest

Re: #2 2008 NFL DRAFT RAMS PICK (Round 2, 33rd overall): Donnie Avery, WR, Houston

Guys remember. We had to find a replacement for Isaac Bruce. And I think Avery will do a good job. We weren't trying to land a Randy Moss or Chad Johnson. I think Avery will do a very well job filling the production that Bruce has given us for that past few seasons.

He has good character, speed, and Saunders wants that. We now have that deep threat we had from Kevin Curtis. Things willl look good guys.

chipperjones Guest

Re: #2 2008 NFL DRAFT RAMS PICK (Round 2, 33rd overall): Donnie Avery, WR, Houston

I dont have a big problem with the pick...not the ideal player, but he has a chance to be very good. Im more excited about that Burton pick though.

CoogB Guest

Hey guys, I'm a Houston Cougar and I just wanted to let you guys know that you'll be pleasantly surprised with DA. I've watched him play for 4 years and he is a thrill to watch. You won't understand how fast he is until you see him in action. I know a lot of you are upset, but he'll be worth it.

It's a lot like the Philly Eagle fans last year when they drafted our QB (Kolb) in the early 2nd round and all their fans lost it. He's going to be a great QB just as DA is going to be a great WR.

I look forward to watching Rams games this next season. Best of luck!

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I did NOT want Devin Thomas or Jackson. Bad attitudes. Thomas is a one year wonder and those guys almost always fall apart in the NFL. Jackson is already slower than Avery, once you add 15 lbs to get him to NFL playing weight he'll be considerably slower. Plus his attitude was reported to be absolutely horrible.

I would rather have gone with an ILB but Avery is far from a stretch. No way he makes it 15 more picks. People are always saying trade down but you have to find someone to trade with and that isn't always easy.

chipperjones Guest

I wonder if he or Dante Hall return the kicks.

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

i love the pick

i dont care what anyone says, he will do some good things for the Rams

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast