Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: #2 2008 NFL DRAFT RAMS PICK (Round 2, 33rd overall): Donnie Avery, WR, Houston

Honestly, (as all the NFL teams saw themselves) there was no one receiver where you would say OK, THAT'S MY GUY. There was simply no one. In my opinion, it could've gone in any order, but the guy that made the most sense for the Rams happened to be Avery, the guy most people didn't really talk about. Who cares? This draft sucked for receivers and I personally think we did the right thing in round 2.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

keith m. klink Guest

Re: #2 2008 NFL DRAFT RAMS PICK (Round 2, 33rd overall): Donnie Avery, WR, Houston

I knew that everyone except the level headed ones would be going out of their minds .

I had the RAMS TAKING HIM AT RD3 #65. but like NICK SAID ( NICK is also level headed like me ) right after AVERY all the receivers we could have wanted for speed went boom boom boom , gone . SO NO ! he would not have been there in the 3rd , he wouldn't have been there after 10 more picks .

The RAMS SAW 2 RECEIVERS THAT COULD HELP THEM OUT NOW and contribute and they traded up for one of them and i was thrilled , because I was one who wanted BURTON and had him on my 3-man board in the 4-5 rd area .

the RAMS MADE the right move and it'll show when this high character guy lights up the boards .

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Rams Head Coach Scott Linehan & Executive Vice President of Player Personnel Billy Devaney

April 26, 2008

(On second round draft pick WR Donnie Avery)

Billy Devaney: “We just want to announce we selected, with the 33rd pick, Donnie Avery, the wide receiver, kick-off returner from the University of Houston. This is a guy we brought in on our top 30 visit last week. We spent time with him also at the Combine. We have researched him thoroughly and we feel that, again, the characteristics we stress going into this. Scott and I and everybody involved kept saying if there is one thing we wanted to do is we wanted to get faster on both sides of the ball. We wanted to add juice to our offense and defense and this guy is a legitimate speed guy. Better than that, he is not just a pure track-guy, so to speak. This guy is a legitimate wide receiver also. He’ll come in and challenge for playing time and challenge to be our kick-off return guy. There were some good receivers that were on the board at that point but this is a guy that we obviously pin-pointed a while ago and we knew he was going to get strong consideration in the second round.”

(On not having any wide receivers chosen in first round)

Scott Linehan: “That was my only concern today, that there was going to be a run on those. I didn’t know the linemen were going to go the way they were. We were really hoping we would have some choices. I didn’t think we would have all of the quality that was there but we put a lot of time into Donnie. We met with him first at the Combine and then he came here in our top 30 visit. He is just the combination that you’re looking for. He kept a great speed, which was really a big goal going into this that we were going to add a lot of speed to our team, especially in the first couple of rounds if we possibly could. You have got to be able to play too. We are not just looking for the track guy. His body work, from his freshman year all the way to his senior year, the way he played and performed and produced, its just what you are looking for in a receiver. You want to see that. He has got pretty good size for his position. He is 5’11 a little over 190 so you don’t have to just project him at the inside receiver and then maybe a little outside. This kid can legitimately go outside and compete to play full-time as a ‘Z’ or whatever we are playing. I think right away, we can really put some thought into him playing slot because of the way he plays and the way he’s played on film. I don’t want to over-blow the term but it is a perfect fit, it really is, for what we needed. He fit that bill of making our team a lot faster and I really believe that is going to be a big part of it.”

(On what position he played in Houston)

SL: “He moves around. In Houston, I don’t know if you see them, but they really have wide-open offensive plays. A little inside there, catches the bubble screens, does all that kind of stuff you see the college offenses do. We really noticed when he gets out there and gets behind people and those big posts and 9-routes, so you can really see his ability to stretch the field. If you were going to pick a slot receiver, you want one that will still comply and I think sometimes it’s a negative connotation if they move you to slot, it means you are not fast enough to play outside and this isn’t the case here. I think he would be very effective as a slot at times but I think he is going to really develop and become a really great outside receiver as well.”

(On his ability to return kicks)

SL: “Kick returning is part of it so that is going to be something. We have Dante (Hall) but the kick returning department is something he might be able to contribute to. In any team, a guy like this with his stature, he’s is going to be paying his rookie’s dues and be able to play special teams until he gets into the line-up a little bit more full-time.”

(On Avery’s hands and route-running)

SL: “I think both look very good. He stood out in the Combine as far as catching the ball. His route running is a little bit different. You can translate some of the things he did on film to what we do in our system but he is just such a good athlete, good body build. But in our system, being able to stretch the field and run those vertical type routes and be crisp in and out of cuts is really important. He showed us all of that and I think this guy is really the complete package.”

On character issues separating Avery from others)

SL: Anybody that was disqualified was a long time ago. Really that wasn’t the issue or anything like that. What I will say about Donnie is, no issues. It’s what you are looking for, that great character guy that you build your team around, but the guy has to be able to play. He has to flat out play. When you have both of them, that is the package so to speak and it is a really good feeling for your team to get that kind of guy.

(On Avery’s speed compared to other wide receivers)

BD: He is right up there in the top three, probably the top two, but certainly in the top three this year.

SL: He’s a 4.3 guy. I think it was a 4.4 combine time, but going back to his Houston workout, I think he was in the low 4.3s. He is a guy that can fly. I don’t know how fast he is compared to maybe a couple of other guys that you’ve heard of or even who play for us, but all I know is that when you watch the tape he flat out runs by people. That is something about him. He plays very big and he gets behind the defense and that is something that we really wanted to add to our team.

(On what happens tonight after the first two rounds)

BD: We restack the board. Obviously there has been surprises with the guys who have gone earlier and there are guys still on the board that we didn’t expect to be there, so we will go back and restack the board, starting with round three right through the end.

(On tomorrow’s strategy)

SL: There are some issues. We still would like to help our offensive line and would like to continue to address that. If we can continue to make our team a lot faster and also fit the physical characteristics, it would really benefit us. We’ve got some really good football players on this team and to be able to add speed to a team that I think is pretty fast defensively. I think offensively we can maybe add another one. I’m voting for that right now, but we’ll see. I think that would really be a big boost for us.

(On Avery’s run after the catch ability)

SL: Excellent. That is a big part of that. I don’t know exactly when we are bringing Donnie in and when you can meet him, but what a great kid. It is going to be a lot of fun to see these guys who can play and do the things we are talking about, like run fast, run after catch, stretch the defense, all those things, come in here and really be a big spark. I know they are going to be popular football players, not because of anything else other than that they are great human beings.

(On how important having a guy who can stretch the opposing defense is to the offense)

SL: It’s huge. In our system you have got to have a compliment of speed in it or otherwise it seems like you always have to call another play. I think with a guy like this we know he is a threat. You’ve got to account for him because he can stretch the field on the outside and on the inside. With the receivers we’ve got coming back, it is something we needed, but it will really help them as well. They know now that there’s a guy who can really burn out there.

(On how fast the draft was moving)

SL: Last year we had the record. I think it was the longest first round in history. That was the whole plan, to shorten everything down and move a little bit quicker.

BD: Wait until tomorrow. It becomes the Bataan death march. This is great on the front end but tomorrow is going to be a bear.

(On taking Avery when you had the pick of the litter)

BD: When you talk about the run after the catch, Scott mentioned that with the offense that you really do get to see him run with the ball a lot. The bubble screens, the quick screens out, he did a great job with that and he becomes a runner with the ball in his hands, he’s looking to score and he is looking for yards. He puts a lot of pressure on defenses. We kind of talked about this also, I knew coming in, receivers that have played here have set a pretty high standard and we really felt like we wanted to get a guy that could potentially get to that level and that’s how we view this guy Avery over the long haul.

(On whether they were surprised that no receivers were taken in the first round)

BD: No, we were kind of talking about that.

SL: We thought that one might go based on what we were hearing but we thought there was a chance that this could be the year, if there ever was one, that a wideout didn’t go in the first round.

(On comparing Avery to Isaac Bruce)

SL: I hope so. The one thing is, I think he is the exact same pick. I think Isaac Bruce was the 33rd pick. I don’t know if that was true or not, but someone told me that. That is a good omen. That is a good place to start. This is Donnie Avery and we are going to wait and see. He has his own style and all that stuff, but this guy is electric and he can really play. 200 catches in his career, almost thirty-two hundred yards and 19 touchdowns and every year he got made the increments that you want to see. Freshman, sophomore, junior, senior year, he just improved and I think that is a good thing. You are looking for that kind of guy. The consistency, the character and then the ability, it’s exactly what we are looking for.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ramsfan39 is offline Registered User

i was in shock when they announced his name but hopefully he comes in and puts up good numbers.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Wow. If he's our #1 receiver in a couple of years, there's gonna be a lot of people looking silly, I guess, huh?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

If the coachs think he's a better fit than the other WRs then that's all that matters. If a guy plays well it doesn't matter if he picked #1, #213 or drafted at all, you just want him to be on your team.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    If the coachs think he's a better fit than the other WRs then that's all that matters. If a guy plays well it doesn't matter if he picked #1, #213 or drafted at all, you just want him to be on your team.
    Good post. I think the Rams really wanted someone as good as Avery. They wanted speed, skill and character. They got all three in Avery.

What would be amazing if he actually turns out like the Isaac Bruce type receiver.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Rams Head Coach Scott Linehan & Executive Vice President of Player Personnel Billy Devaney

April 26, 2008

(On comparing Avery to Isaac Bruce)

SL: I hope so. The one thing is, I think he is the exact same pick. I think Isaac Bruce was the 33rd pick. I don’t know if that was true or not, but someone told me that. That is a good omen. That is a good place to start. This is Donnie Avery and we are going to wait and see. He has his own style and all that stuff, but this guy is electric and he can really play. 200 catches in his career, almost thirty-two hundred yards and 19 touchdowns and every year he got made the increments that you want to see. Freshman, sophomore, junior, senior year, he just improved and I think that is a good thing. You are looking for that kind of guy. The consistency, the character and then the ability, it’s exactly what we are looking for.
    For those who think we should have taken Devin Thomas, that part about consistency and steady improvement may well have been a determining factor. That and Avery is a more convincing vertical threat.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Couple of things on Avery.

First, an interesting nugget from the latest Jim Thomas article entitled "Rams stick to basics":

As for Avery, many observers felt he went a round early. But the Rams didn't think so. In fact, they were told through league contacts that eight to 10 teams had Avery rated as the No. 1 prospect at his position in a flawed wide receiver corps. Because of injury and off-field concerns, the Rams had lower grades on several more well-known receivers.

Second, a transcript of a conversation between Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan on SIrius NFL Radio regarding Avery (got the transcript from RamBill):

Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan had the following exchange on NFL radio this afternoon

Kirwan: Donny Avery....I know a lot of guys said, Wow, the first WR off the board...because that's what no one expected.

Ryan: You made the comparison to Torry Holt...and I think he brings some Issac Bruce stuff to the table too. In that offense, where they are right now, with Bennett out on one side, Holt on the other......Saunders had Hakim when he was in St.Louis before....do you need to think of that in this offense now with Donny Avery......3.91 short shuttle...in and out of the breaks in a heartbeat.

Kirwan: Yeah, he can fly.

Kirwan: Devaney was on the show Sunday and said, "Look we knew what we wanted for our offense and the traits we were looking for, and so maybe you don't have Avery #1 on your board as the top WR... well we did... for what we wanted to do."

Kirwan: By the way, they had every WR available to them, and they were looking for something.

Kirwan: And what were they looking for? For someone to start in the slot. When you run 4.34 in the 40... and 3.91 short shuttle, and here's the number that's off the charts: #1 in the NFL this year-- the guy ran 6.30 in the three cone drill. 6.30!!

Ryan: He's going to chew the slot to pieces.

Kirwan: His pivot route....if you can run a 3 cone like that.....If you play inside leverage he's going to be outside until you go out there, then he's going to go back the other way....that's the 3rd cone...right past you. But here's what else he has...and why you can justify the pick.....even though every $9.99 magazine didn't have him as the top WR

Ryan: Return ability.

Kirwan: Right...and how about this number....you start 44 games in college....now remember-- the guy everyone says was the top WR--Devin Thomas. Right?

Ryan: One year wonder

Kirwan: 12 starts

Kirwan 12 starts vs. 44 starts in college. Do you know how many receptions Avery had in college? 210 receptions.

Kirwan: I love when the NFL surprises all the preditors, the radio show guys like us, the tv guys. When Devaney was on NFL radio as a host last year, he was always quick to say, "Say what you want, do what you want, I'm telling you what were going to do." Devaney knew what they wanted to do and I'm sure they were tickled to death Avery was there.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I was already convinced, but that radio transcript did a lot to convince me even more

Remember when the Rams ran Martz's offense that the team played a lot of 3WR, in fact that was the base set really. Its likely Saunders is going to do a similar thing. Its very likely that Avery comes in right away and starts at the 3rd WR/Slot position

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thomas
    In fact, they were told through league contacts that eight to 10 teams had Avery rated as the No. 1 prospect at his position
    IF Thomas is correct, then it shows just how much of a guessing game the draftniks really are playing.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

BM_Face is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Wow. If he's our #1 receiver in a couple of years, there's gonna be a lot of people looking silly, I guess, huh?
    If Thomas clearly outperforms Avery then I guess alot of other people will look silly.

Really, all Ram's fans should rejoice over this draft. For the first time in years the Rams had a high quality draft, Avery/Thomas debate included. I thank God we took a WR in the 2nd, honestly. *prays thanx*

All Praise Devaney. GoRams!

shower beers is offline Registered User

I think people tend to put too much value into "value" when they evaluate drafts. Many people seem to think that they(Rams) could have gotten a better value if they traded down a few spots and taken Avery later.

But I think teams take the player that they want, and that they feel will work best for their team, not what their projected value is.

Sure, Avery came from a small school, and that made his value go down, but in the long run, the Rams came away with the player they wanted, and didn't have to worry about if he would be there if they traded down for another, what, probably 6th round pick or something?

To summarize, teams take the players they want, and care little where that pick falls in the grand scheme of things. If you take a player at 33 or 53, as long as he's the player you want, then why are you complaining?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Also, people say that the Rams should have traded down, but who said that anyone was willing to trade up to that spot?

Quote Originally Posted by BM_Face View Post
    If Thomas clearly outperforms Avery then I guess alot of other people will look silly.
    Maybe, maybe not. Who's to say Thomas would have performed in this offense?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast