Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: #2 2008 NFL DRAFT RAMS PICK (Round 2, 33rd overall): Donnie Avery, WR, Houston

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Also, people say that the Rams should have traded down, but who said that anyone was willing to trade up to that spot?

Exactly. I was going to mention something like that, but I forgot to put it in. Not many teams trade DOWN for the player they are after. If you're in position, then snatch him up, which is what they did.

The Special One is offline Registered User

Re: #2 2008 NFL DRAFT RAMS PICK (Round 2, 33rd overall): Donnie Avery, WR, Houston

Compared to other wide-outs available, Avery was a reach, that's for sure. But he's the perfect guy for our team IMO. His speed is deadly, he has great hands, can play on any side of the field, is versatile and could even be an effective special teamer.

I actually think he could have a big impact as early as this season. He should compliment Holt and Bennett well, and could be that deep threat that Bennett and Holt just aren't any longer.

Personally, I think Donnie is in the similar mould to a guy like Wes Welker. Welker had a tremendous season in that slot position last year in NE, and like Avery, he's a quick, agile guy who can make plays. I hope Avery can have similar success to Welker.

This was a risk at #33, but I've got a feeling it could pay off big time.

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

Well after reading through this incredibly long and severely up and down post I see some pretty consistent themes (among those in the negative category). Those being: A reach, bad value, to out and out disgust. In regards to bad value, and even those of being a reach, I decided to do a little pick #33 research and here are the picks for the previous 10 years:

2007 33rd pick - Alan Branch DT Michigan to Arizona - 4th DT taken
    2006 33rd pick Demeco Ryans LB Alabama to Houston 5th LB taken
    2005 33rd pick David Baas OG/C Michigan to San Fran 3rd OG/C taken
    2004 33rd pick Karlos Dansby OLB Auburn to Arizona 3rd LB taken
    2003 33rd pick Eric Steinbach G Iowa to Cincinnati 1st G taken
    2002 33rd pick Jabar Gaffney WR Florida to Houston 4th WR taken
    2001 33rd pick Quincy Morgan WR Kansas State to Cleveland 7th WR taken
    2000 33rd pick Darren Howard DE Kansas State to New Orleans 4th DE taken
    1999 33rd pick Charles Fisher DB West Virginia to Cincinnati - 6th DB taken
    1998 33rd pick Corey Chavous SS Vanderbilt to Arizona 4th S taken

Not exactly the MOST impressive list, and probably a REACH as far as value goes, but there are a few players on this list that have done well for themselves. So then, what is my point you may ask? My point is that in only ONE case during this stretch of time did any team have the opportunity to grab the first positional player of that draft. So, this says one very important thing; The Rams got THEIR GUY!! He was there, they wanted him, they got him, period!! Many say they should have traded down and still got him...and they know he would've been there, how?? To me this says we're not going to pull punches, make excuses, or look for a way out. If Avery doesn't work out then there is absolutely NO excuse. This may put added pressure on the FO, but so what, they had the opportunity to get what they wanted, they pulled the string and here we are. I for one am ABSOLUTELY excited about this guy. I'm one of several that said, WHO? when the pick was announced, but I'm also acutely aware of my lack of an NFL talent scout job and the necessary skills for said job. I am however confident in the ability of Henry Ellard to evaluate talent and skills, and if he says this is our guy, then I'm totally on board. I just hope that many rethink their knee jerk reactions, settle the ship, and show some support for what may prove to be an exciting addition to the team. If we DO end up getting exceptional value out of pick #33, then we've done better than 70% of the teams picking from this position in the last 10 years.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Also, people say that the Rams should have traded down, but who said that anyone was willing to trade up to that spot?
    Exactly. In the top twenty picks of the second round, I believe there were a total of two teams that traded up. It's easy for fans to make the general statement that, "We could have traded down and got this guy," but trading down means finding someone willing to trade up, and there weren't many trades being made to move up into the top of the second round.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. Who's to say Thomas would have performed in this offense?
    Great point. Thomas may be a great fit for the Redskins in their West Coast offensive system. Success there does not necessarily equate to success here, since we're looking for different attributes in a receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by LeBulger View Post
    Compared to other wide-outs available, Avery was a reach, that's for sure.
    How is that "for sure?"

The Special One is offline Registered User

What I meant Nick was, that considering we took Avery ahead of all the other Wide Receiver prospects in tha draft, it can be considered a reach, at least in my opinion. Guys like Sweed, Thomas, Hardy etc. were all regarded as higher prospects than Avery especially since they may be better hands on receivers.

But that doesn't go to say they would have been a hit in our offense. Avery is the perfect guy for our system, and he's the player who fitted in out team the best above all the other receivers in the draft. As you said yourself Nick, we were looking for different attributes in a receiver; speed, agility, YAC, versatility etc. were the kinda things we were looking for. And Avery is that guy.

So, on the whole, you could say that in terms of the draft itself, Avery was in fact a reach. But in terms of looking for the player that fits what we're looking for best, Donnie wasn't a reach at all.

What I meant Nick was, that considering we took Avery ahead of all the other Wide Receiver prospects in tha draft, it can be considered a reach, at least in my opinion.
    I just don't understand that logic. He's a reach because we took him ahead of other second-round receivers? How those guys were regarded by pundits and analysts prior to the draft is largely inconsequential, considering none of them were regarded highly enough by NFL teams to be taken in the first round.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Avery is the perfect guy for our system, and he's the player who fitted in out team the best above all the other receivers in the draft.
    The perfect guy for our system over all others .. yet he is a reach?

we were looking for different attributes in a receiver; speed, agility, YAC, versatility etc. were the kinda things we were looking for. And Avery is that guy.
    I don't think it is a stretch to imagine that other NFL teams would covet those same attributes - we selected Avery before anyone else could - why is that a reach?

So, on the whole, you could say that in terms of the draft itself, Avery was in fact a reach. But in terms of looking for the player that fits what we're looking for best, Donnie wasn't a reach at all.
    So you are saying he wasn't a reach after all ..??

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

I'm sorry....but do you actually read what you suppose, because if so, then you might be as confused as what your post may indicate. "in terms of the draft itself, Avery was in fact a reach" ???? really??? I would certainly like to hear how you "in fact" have made that determination.

Yodude is offline Registered User

You wouldn't by any chance be the dude from the control tower in the movie Airplane that said, "Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue", would you?
    Last edited by Yodude; -05-02-2008 at 02:04 AM.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Yodude View Post
    You wouldn't by any chance be the dude from the control tower in the movie Airplane that said, "Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue", would you?

No, that's me. I haven't quit though. It's either glue or cat spray (cheesing). Did anyone else see South Park when Kenny got hooked on cat spray?

Hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    No, that's me. I haven't quit though. It's either glue or cat spray (cheesing). Did anyone else see South Park when Kenny got hooked on cat spray?

Hilarious.
    "Mr. Kitty you have to live in the attic now. Here, write a diary."

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Re: 2008 NFL DRAFT RAMS PICK (Round 2, 33rd overall): Donnie Avery, WR, Houston

Quote Originally Posted by Milan View Post
    Whoa, you really think Dan Connor will be a bad pick?
    No I do not. But what if the guy we got instead of Connor turns out to be all-world?????

You just never know?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678