laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

2 issues that are probably overlooked

1. 1st drive, 3rd play, of the game by the Bears. On third and 5, Grossman throws a short pass to R. Davis for 4 1/2 yards not the 5 that the refs gave him. 1st down Bears. I was yelling at the T.V. for Linehan to challenge the spot. We did stop the Bears on their next set of downs and forced them to punt, Thanks to a taunting penalty on T. Jones. I know it was to early to use a challenge as the game was barely 2 minutes old. However we didn't know we would stop the Bears and force them to punt on the next set of downs. If it was me I would have challenged it and set the tone that this is going to be a dog fight and we're not giving an inch. What would you have done?

2. Will Witherspoon:
    Where was he all game? 3 tackles that's it! Here's his chance to show what he's made of in front of the whole world. Brain Urlacher had 10 tackles by the way. Is this WW a middle linebacker or what?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: 2 issues that are probably overlooked

simple answer to question 2

no, Spoon is not an MLB. He can play well there but is much better as an OLB

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    What would you have done?
    Too early to use a challenge, IMO. You have to save it in anticipation of a much bigger closer call later in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Where was he all game?
    There were two plays where I remember Witherspoon making an appearance. The first was on the Jones reception where Thomas got the taunting penalty because WW was in coverage and looked like he was all over Jones before the catch.

The second was on Jones' 30-yard touchdown run. WW came forward and filled a gap, but Jones sidestepped and ran one gap to the left, and Spoon just kind of let him go by.

When you play a team like the Bears and see Brian Urlacher all over the field making plays single handedly, and then you look at Spoon, I think the answer is we need to move this guy to the outside.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Yeah a big physical MLB is certainly high on my christmas wish-list right now. I'm hoping we'll find someone in the draft, maybe with our 2nd round pick (1st should be defensive line) if there's a suitable guy on the board when we pick.

There's one thing though, I'll admit that I'm probably not as knowledgable as I'm sure others on this board are when it comes to the nuances of the 2 outside LB's in a 4-3 defense. But I remember back in the offseason when we signed Witherspoon there was some talk about who would play WOLB, MLB and SOLB respectively. And one point that was brought up a number of times by several people here was that the WOLB and SOLB spots are not just mirror images of each other in terms of the skills required to play there at a high level. The SOLB spot usually sees the tight end lined up across the field in front of him and would often be responsible for bumping him if he's going out for a pass play or breaking through his block if the running play is going that way, thus the SOLB is more physically demanding in terms of strength and ability to shed blocks than the WOLB spot. So who would play the SOLB spot for us, even if we were to get a more natural fit for the MLB spot? I'm assuming Witherspoon since he's a bit bigger than Pisa, but how well would he really be suited for playing there when you consider the difficulties he has had (especially later in the season, he looked great in the beginning, perhaps a sign of the wear-and-tear he's gone through in the middle) at his current MLB position? Have we signed 2 guys, Pisa and Witherspoon, to huge longterm contracts, when they're both only really playing to their full potential in the same weakside spot?

SavageRam is offline Registered User

I think a MLB has to have a high level of awareness, intelligence, aggressiveness, and mental toughness as well as all the physical attributes and talent the Spoon possesses. It's no coincidence that most good MLB's also make good team captains.