Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: #2 pick it is

Harry S. Truman is offline Registered User

Re: #2 pick it is

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    And yet Peterson only went fifth overall. In fact, the last time a cornerback was taken with a Top Three pick was Shawn Springs in 1997.

Claiborne may be a great prospect, and he'd probably be #3 on my board for the Rams at this point in the draft, but I don't think NFL teams value the position enough to spend such a high pick on it.

I could certainly be wrong, though. The injury red flags to Bartell and Fletcher as well as the lack of depth at the position certainly makes CB an area to examine at some point this offseason.
    I also don't think there's that big of a talent drop between Claiborne and Dre Kirkpatrick, who also will be a top ten pick. Whereas Blackmon and Kalil are truly the cream of the crop at their position, I don't feel as emphatic about Claiborne.

lostsoul is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Harry S. Truman View Post
    He started last year too bud. Only allowed 3 sacks in two years as a starter, none this year. I'm completely sold on him.
    You' right a 2 year starter, My mistake I didnt get to see any USC games last year and read an article that said he was a one year starter(must've been an old article). He just seems more like a finesse guy.
    Harry S. Truman likes this.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by lostsoul View Post
    You' right a 2 year starter, My mistake I didnt get to see any USC games last year and read an article that said he was a one year starter(must've been an old article). He just seems more like a finesse guy.
    Kalil is as balanced as you could get. He's an immovable wall while pass protecting, he's a pretty good mauler in the run game, and his intelligence of angles and technicality are superb.

He's not as impressive against the run as Jonathan Martin is, but Kalil's run blocking will still grade very high.

With that being said, I'd still heavily consider Trent Richardson.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I doubt Lloyd comes back. At this point, I think we go Blackmon. If Lloyd leaves, we must go after Blackmon or an FA WR. I think it'd be very beneficial for us to lock up Lloyd and draft Blackmon. That way in round 2 or in FA we can focus on a premier LT.

Doesn't matter to me though. Kalil and Blackmon will both be great NFL talents.

xkidflowx is offline Registered User

i think lloyd stays and so does mcdaniels... and we pick up Kalil and get a high profile WR.. we have alot of money in cap so i think we can.. and if we trade to washington or cleveland for picks.. hopefully blackmon is there and we get him and pick up a high profile LT..

Fastcat is offline Registered User

I just seen cleveland was pick 4 and minnesota is pick 3... I dont think they would move up 2 spots just to jump minnesota becuase they have a young qb. so i bet cleveland wont want to trade up, unless they know another team WILL absolutely trade up. Like 100 percent certain.

My assessment, Kalil is a potential Pro Bowl LT. I have him graded A+ for pass protection and a B+ with upside against the run.

For the record, I've always felt Saffold is better suited and would be a dominant RF and Jason Smith was out of position at tackle and should be moved to RG.

If St. Louis were to take Kalil, move Saffold to RT and Smith to RG, you have four outstanding pass blockers in their natural positions. Sam would have all day to throw the football and you could get a WR in the second, or sign Colston or either of the Jacksons and have an electric offense capable of winning that division real quickly.
    Oregon Ram likes this.

[QUOTE=Fastcat;410326]I just seen cleveland was pick 4 and minnesota is pick 3... I dont think they would move up 2 spots just to jump minnesota becuase they have a young qb. so i bet cleveland wont want to trade up, unless they know another team WILL absolutely trade up. Like 100 percent ceritain.[QUOTE]

It's not so much concern of Minnesota picking another QB as it is concern they'll trade out of the pick and sell to a team that will.

I can say with full certainty Mike Shanahan wants Griffin..... BAD. He knows as well as anyone if Rex Grossman and John Beck are his QB in 2012, he won't see 2013... Hell, he might not even see the end of 2012.

I also know Stephen Ross in Miami is all over the idea of getting Griffin and can't help but think Kansas City wants in too and has no desire to see another year of the Cassell Palko Show. Granted, KC could re-sign Orton, but I also wonder when they start looking for the future.. Then there's also the Seahawks..

Someone will trade up for RGIII, there's little doubt in my mind. Expect those talks to further intensify when Jones announces he's returning to Oklahoma for another season. Could get into a real bidding war, one I sure wouldn't mind seeing the Rams actively partake in, when it comes to listening to offers.
    Last edited by Harry S. Truman; -01-02-2012 at 02:25 AM.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Harry S. Truman View Post
    My assessment, Kalil is a potential Pro Bowl LT. I have him graded A+ for pass protection and a B+ with upside against the run.

For the record, I've always felt Saffold is better suited and would be a dominant RF and Jason Smith was out of position at tackle and should be moved to RG.

If St. Louis were to take Kalil, move Saffold to RT and Smith to RG, you have four outstanding pass blockers in their natural positions. Sam would have all day to throw the football and you could get a WR in the second, or sign Colston or either of the Jacksons and have an electric offense capable of winning that division real quickly.
    How do you plan on signing Lloyd and another FA WR? They'll both want big deals, its unrealistic. If you're talking about Lloyd being gone and us taking another FA WR, than it makes sense. I highly highly doubt that we will re-sign Lloyd and dish out another $40 mill for VJAX, Bowe, Colston or DeSean. I'd love too though.

lostsoul is offline Registered User

So we move Dahl to LG? How would he fare at LG?

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    How do you plan on signing Lloyd and another FA WR? They'll both want big deals, its unrealistic. If you're talking about Lloyd being gone and us taking another FA WR, than it makes sense. I highly highly doubt that we will re-sign Lloyd and dish out another $40 mill for VJAX, Bowe, Colston or DeSean. I'd love too though.
    I don't plan on signing Lloyd.

The team needs a true go to threat. Lloyd isn't it. He's more of a passable #2 at best.

Quote Originally Posted by lostsoul View Post
    So we move Dahl to LG? How would he fare at LG?
    He's played it in the past and hasn't embarrassed himself. He'd also have some weaknesses there masked with the help.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

We would still need a #2... No one else has proven anything besides amendola and hes a 3 at best

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    We would still need a #2... No one else has proven anything besides amendola and hes a 3 at best
    The good thing about #2 WRs are, they're easy to find. Maybe Lloyd is brought back on the low end of the price spectrum.. I'm not against bringing him back entirely, but only at the right price. If it comes down to Lloyd or Colston or the Jacksons, Lloyd is out.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

If you asked me in September, I'd say Blackmon. But now I'm going to go with Kalil. It was almost assumed that we had both tackle spots solved for multiple years but that certainly is not the case as of now. Saffold regressed mightily after a nice rookie campaign, and Jason Smith had yet another concussion that could cloud (no pun intended) his NFL future, which more than likely will be at guard. I know it's not the exciting route to take and everyone is begging for a playmaker, but the Rams must be smart and protect their huge investment in Sam Bradford.

Watching Kalil, he has everything you want from an elite LT. He is extremely athletic, has great, fluid feet and long arms with a great first punch. The only issue I have with him is that he needs to put on more weight at the next level. His legs aren't thick at all and although he is a gem in pass protection, his run blocking could use some refinement and that will come with adding bulk and muscle. Thankfully he is close to 6'7 so asking him to add 10-15 lbs. should not be an issue at all. Unless we get an offer we can't refuse for #2 overall, I see us just standing pat and taking Matt. See what I did there?
    Last edited by Bald_81; -01-02-2012 at 02:51 AM.
    DE_Ramfan likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast