Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: #2 pick it is

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Re: #2 pick it is

Have we spent an ungodly amount of money on this o-line? Sure have. Has it worked out? Sure hasn't. That's why Devany will be looking for a new job. That doesn't change the fact that the most important thing a QB needs to run an offense is time. No corner can cover forever. No WR can run a deep route if his QB is getting hit or chased around in 3 seconds or less.
    Harry S. Truman likes this.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    I'm not at all opposed to trading Bradford for a crap ton to Cleveland or Miami and taking RGIII after the game today. Clemons played better than Bradford did all year w the same stuff which scares me greatly. I love Bradford and by no means am begging for him to go but I'm not at all opposed to RGIII

Uh...no one's going to touch this one? Come on now, you can't be serious. People are speaking in this thread like there's a line out the door to trade away everything to us for no good reason. Things like this don't happen, and we wouldn't dream of even doing it ourselves.

We're not getting multiple first round picks and Jake Long, and we're certainly not trading Bradford. Folks, this stuff just doesn't happen in real life. Besides, it's Indy, St. Louis, Minnesota, Cleveland, so why would the Browns leap frog Minnesota, who just drafted Ponder? You might get a bite from Washington or Miami, but they would still be giving up bit to do so.
    Fat Pang and Bar-bq like this.

There's also a lot of talk about WRs being a dime a dozen...

If only that were the case. We would have fared quite a bit better this season.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Blackmon minus the braces lol
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Harry S. Truman View Post
    move Saffold to RT
    Moving Saffold to RT will be a huge mistake. His struggles stemmed from quality bull rushes and the right side (where LDEs stand) is bull rush heaven.
    bradwill likes this.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Harry S. Truman View Post
    My assessment, Kalil is a potential Pro Bowl LT. I have him graded A+ for pass protection and a B+ with upside against the run.

For the record, I've always felt Saffold is better suited and would be a dominant RF and Jason Smith was out of position at tackle and should be moved to RG.

If St. Louis were to take Kalil, move Saffold to RT and Smith to RG, you have four outstanding pass blockers in their natural positions.
    As much as I agree with everything else here and that you have posted recently, I have to debate that last point.

Smith, Saffold and Kalil were all Left Tackles coming out of college. Harvey Dahl is a proven commodity at RG.

In my opinion, in this case, we would have four good blockers, only one of whom is playing his natural position, plus Jacob Bell, who quietly performed quite well this year and is suddenly out of a job. An unideal scenario, if you were to ask me.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Trade down if the offer is right and stockpile picks over 1-2 drafts.

Saffold will come back strong, if Williams stays we don't need a back other than a change of pace (Norwood is done imo), WR is a need as ever but do we really reach at #2 for Blackmon when we might be able to get him later? RT can be addressed in FA or later in the draft (sorry Smith but unless you restructure, I think you're done) but we need somebody at LG. Brown is still a decent center in my view and will rebound. Nervous about CB, Bartells injury was reasonably serious, Fletcher may have two bum knees, Murphy is accident prone in more ways than one and King isn't worth the space it takes to print his name on the back of his jersey. OLB is an issue, Robbins has regressed, Bannan and Gibson are rotational players and saftey has no depth.

In short, we need a bucket full of picks and some nice FA pick-ups and that precludes any kind of reach at the top of the draft.

Oh and Bradford stays, although I share a general unease with many as to his regression this year.
    Last edited by Fat Pang; -01-02-2012 at 07:12 AM.
    Nick and Tampa_Ram like this.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

I had forgotten that the Rams also have the #33 pick - top of the second round. Should be a few offers to trade down from there.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    As much as I agree with everything else here and that you have posted recently, I have to debate that last point.

Smith, Saffold and Kalil were all Left Tackles coming out of college. Harvey Dahl is a proven commodity at RG.

In my opinion, in this case, we would have four good blockers, only one of whom is playing his natural position, plus Jacob Bell, who quietly performed quite well this year and is suddenly out of a job. An unideal scenario, if you were to ask me.
    You make some good points. I would not move Harvey Dahl out of the RG spot out of desperation to find a spot for Jason Smith. Keep Dahl where he's comfortable.

That said, should the Rams draft Kalil, I'd let Saffold and Smith compete for the starting RT job. One thing I'd point out is that, when the Rams drafted Saffold at the top of the second round, nearly everyone assumed he'd start at right tackle with Jason Smith taking the left tackle job. And that projection wasn't considered extreme or an ill fit at the time.

While Saffold may have some issues he'd need to clean up to function effectively on the right side (I think fliptalian makes a fair point as well), it's hard for me to believe that Kalil wouldn't be this team's best option at LT should he join the roster. So at that point, even if RT isn't an ideal fit, I think you let those two vets slug it out on that side and let the best man win.
    bradwill likes this.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    How do you plan on signing Lloyd and another FA WR? They'll both want big deals, its unrealistic. If you're talking about Lloyd being gone and us taking another FA WR, than it makes sense. I highly highly doubt that we will re-sign Lloyd and dish out another $40 mill for VJAX, Bowe, Colston or DeSean. I'd love too though.
    My guess is that Lloyd's contract demands won't be that excessive. He turns 31 before the start of the next season and has only posted more than 1,000 yards in a season once in his career. If McDaniels stays, there's a good chance that we can get Lloyd to stay for a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    My guess is that Lloyd's contract demands won't be that excessive. He turns 31 before the start of the next season and has only posted more than 1,000 yards in a season once in his career. If McDaniels stays, there's a good chance that we can get Lloyd to stay for a reasonable price.
    That's a good point also. He certainly didn't show the breakout performance to demand a hefty contract this offseason. I don't believe we've heard the fate of McDaniels yet, have we?

lostsoul is offline Registered User

Anyone watching the capital one bowl? Alshon Jeffrey just caught a ball lobbed about 50 yards lept over about 4 guys made the catch and juked another guy to get in the endzone for the score at the end of the half. Reminded me a lot of Megatron. He's not looking bad right now.

lostsoul is offline Registered User

And at the end of the 3rd quarter Jeffrey gets in a fight with CB Alfonso Dennard and they both get ejected from the game. Not looking good now.

Quote Originally Posted by lostsoul View Post
    And at the end of the 3rd quarter Jeffrey gets in a fight with CB Alfonso Dennard and they both get ejected from the game. Not looking good now.
    Haha. He put on display both of the strongest arguments for and against him in one game.
    lostsoul likes this.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

BPA Matt Kalil by far. All the the draft nicks have him or RGIII second and we already have a QB. Its clear we need a WR, but that doesn't mean we should reach. Blackmon is not on the same level as Julio Jones and AJ Green who went 4 and 6 respectively last year. He is most certainly not Calvin Johnson the last receiver picked at 2. Kalil on the other hand is the best pass blocking prospect since Joe Thomas who is the best LT in the league.

I know people are tired of the lineman and want a game breaking WR, but we have to be smart and go BPA here. IMO Blackmon is behind Luck, Kalil, Claiborne, and RGIII on the big board. Take the QBs out and he is still 3rd and isn't on the same level as top 5 talent WRs in recent history.

Calvin Johnson best WR to come out in recent years Blackmon isn't close a prospect. Joe Thomas best LT prospect to come out in recent years Kalil is on that level pass blocking wise as a prospect. We may not love it, but its a no brainer at this point.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast