RamTime Guest

2 Questions for every Rams fan. (Yes this means you)

Are you satisfied? Moreover is what the Rams accomplished this season enough for you to feel good about this season and the future of the franchise? When answering I think it is important that you block out the past failures and under achievements of the Rams under this regime otherwise your view of the Rams present and future may be clouded. Only you can decipher this.

I am one that has trouble letting go of the past waste however what is done can not be changed and right now I think I would be a fool if I wanted a change at head coach. I think it would be a reaction to the past while ignoring the present. Furthermore Mike Martz was right when he said this team would come around. An article in the post dispatch alluded to Martz standing in disbelief because the press and the fans could not see this. Well I sure as hell didnít see what Martz saw and I think I can say he was right and I was wrong. Sure the score is still RamTime plenty and Martz 1 however that 1 right now is all that matters. I have always maintained that you have to hold Martzís feet to the fire to achieve success but that has also changed. Just as I have lambasted Martz for his past decisions, I have to give props where they are due.

In sum: If the Rams fail in Atlanta then all we have proven is we can beat up on the teams in our division which as you know is considered the embarrassment of the league however I will feel good about our teams future and just slightly less then satisfied about the present which is a far cry from how I have felt over the past 4 years.

So I would really like to hear your thoughts regarding these two questions. Please make them your own thoughts and do not be persuaded by others or popular opinion. Remember the fans are usually right.

Question 1. Are you satisfied with the present?
    Question 2. Do you feel confident about the near future?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Almost. If the Rams play a good game next week, I'll be satisfied, regardless of the outcome. I think the team has done a great job of coming together and playing well in the last three weeks. I'm still hoping for a Cinderella story, but I will not say that its Super Bowl or failure at this point.

I think the Rams have a lot to look forward to. It is clear that there are a bunch of young players (Bulger, Jackson, Holt, Curtis, McDonald, Kennedy, Hargrove, Tinoisamoa, Archuleta, Fisher, Butler) that are going to be around for the next few years and could form the core of a very good team.

fearlessone is offline Registered User

Re: 2 Questions for every Rams fan. (Yes this means you)

Quote Originally Posted by ramtime
    Yes and no. I do feel a new energy for my beloved RAMS that was not present for much of the season. Like many members, I feel MM has made a lot of lame, stupid mistakes and there may or may not be reasons for those decisions; and in a way I like the fact that Martz does not cave into the media/fan speculation as truthfully all he has to answer to his staff, employers and the players and his family and possibly his creator Dr. Frankenstein :tongue: I think the play of Bulger has been beyond anyone's expectations unless one needs to compare to the past which is not realistic imho.

He needs to take heed to Jimmie Johnson's comments about how to be a better manager as a HC. 4 out of 5 playoff visits placates me to a certain extent.

As long as he does not add to any of the media buffooning him after a loss caused by a poor coaching or ST play, then yes I will be saisfied with year's performance win or lose in ATL considering the typical RAMS ROLLERCOASTER RIDE we take as a RAMS fans since the Roman Gabriel days.

Quote Originally Posted by ramtime
    Totally, see comments about Bulger's play and the committment the HC needs to make a la JJ's comments last week. We truly have a great opportunity with the young studs on offense but I hope we retain MF and BRUUUUUCE and revamp our o-line and then I think we will be really close to the days of GSOT if our running game can come around.

Defense and ST need some overhaul at most positions and staff. If we can pick up some or a decent linebacker(s) and some secondary studs and a d-line stud and the committment to ST by above average players then I think we can have a Bulger and Co. dynasty. Very realistic.
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Honestly?

1. Yes.
    2. Yes.

Let me explain.

If you would have told me in May or even after the draft that we would be 8-8 and wouldn't win the division but still managed a wild card birth, I would have said no to the first question. But if you would have also told me at that time that we...

-Would lose two starting offensive lineman at the beginning of the season, and then two more with injury during the year
    -Would need to bring two out of retirement to play for us
    -Would be starting someone named Blaine Saipaia at right tackle
    -Would have a revolving door at free safety, many of whom ended up injured before they ever played a game
    -Would flirt with the idea of bringing back Jason Sehorn
    -Would see a struggling defense for much of the season
    -Would see lower production from veteran leaders like Aeneas and Arch and Little
    -Would have to put Travis Fisher on the injured list for a number of weeks and would have to start Groce and Garrett in his place
    -Would have Bulger out for three games
    -Would have Chandler throw eight interceptions in relief of Marc for those three games
    -Would have to bring Jamie Martin back to the team because Chandler was playing so horribly
    -Would be playing the kind of schedule we know now is quite tough

...and still end up 8-8 and in the playoffs, then I would have been pretty impressed. We're not only in the playoffs, but we beat a hungry Jets team to get there and got a very emotional win over Seattle in the first round to come right back to where we were last season.

Honestly, considering eveything that's happened this year, I'd say I'm basically satisified with the outcome of what has been a very trying season for the Rams. I'd love to come out and hand it to the Falcons and return to the NFC championship, but I can't say that if we lose a close good game next weekend, I'm going to be depressed about how much of a waste this season was. Now, if we come out and look like fools, I'll be ticked off. But I don't think there's any playoff team out there that's been through the adversity we've been through this season, and for us to be able to make the playoffs and then take the third win over the Seahawks, I'm feeling pretty good about it.

As for the second question, we have a lot of talent that's still young and will be growing and maturing even more. I think, as Yo and I have talked about, that we're a couple of pieces away on the offensive line from being one of the most dangerous offenses in football, if not GSOT-like. And I think it looks like our defense is really starting to become something. The defensive line has looked pretty good the last few weeks, and I think if we can add some support in the linebacker core and maybe an additional cornerback, we would have enough pieces to really be able to stop some teams. I think there's a lot to look forward to in the next season or so.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

theodus69 is offline Registered User

the present.......Well I didn't feel this team should make the playoffs , considering The Eagles layed down and We took what the Jets Gave us and won , Which was the same they did for SD, But I guess they didn't want the win! This team is on a roll, But maybe for all the wrong reasons! So present, not really! Now the Future..........I said it at the start of the year that the 90's were making their way back and I still feel that way! There is alot of holes to fill and I don't know if Martz can have the patients to try and rebuild or say , bring back all the Talent as a whole! This is a Talented team don't get me wrong, I just feel there are these holes that just kinda leave the team as a whole rather thin!So Future, well,I'm not on the bus yet but I'm buying a ticket anyway! :mask:
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

75% of the league is in the offseason, and we're not a part of it. So yes, in the short term, I'm satisfied.
    Absolutely, last year, one of our fears was that our core was getting too old. Now, with the exception of the O-line, our core has actually become much younger, especially on defense. I'm very excited for the future.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

adarian_too is offline Registered User

I'll bite. Am I satisfied with the present? No. But that is more a reflection on my personality than the team's. Even if the team wins the SB, I'm afraid I'll find fault with how something or another was or wasn't done. Don't bother - I'm working on addressing this with self-help groups ... one playoff win does not a season make, but 4 of them sure would go a long way in pacifying me.

Confidence in the near future? The resolve shown in the last 3 games inspires me much more than the previous 14 games. The cliche says anything can happen in the playoffs so I will trust that if it is good it could happen to the Rams. But the D, the O-line, and the SpecialEd Teams still need attention. How much attention they get will speak to me about how much confidence I should have near term.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I would say yes, I was ask by a good friend what our record was going to be and I kid you not I said .500 at best. The reason I answered yes is because this I believe is as bad as we are going to be under Martz and his system. We have had great success over the past 6 years and in the NFL keeping a good team together is almost impossible with FA. Just look how many of the Rams players moved on to get paid thatís just the way it is. So to keep making into the playoff is a hugh statment about the FO and Head Coach. Not many can do it year in and year out as they rebuild or replace players lost, in the 80ís and 90í the whiners did it best, the window of opportunity is short and change is for sure.

Yes, very confident to the point that next year is looking like this year, because I did not see us going before the year started.We have drafted well and thatís not easy when you are at the bottom of the draft. We are seen Curtis and McDonald grow this year to the point where they are a factor, just ask Jets and the Hawks. Bulger, Jackson, Holt, Curtis, McDonald, Kennedy, Lewis, Pickett, Hargrove, Tinoisamoa, Archuleta, Fisher, Butler are all young player that we have added while winning these guys are just starting to play at the level we know they could when we got them.

Tailgage-Mayor is offline Registered User

1. Yes. Considering the injuries, and a bit of a hangover from the playoffs last year, I am satisfied with the season. We have already equaled last yearís performance by making it to the quarterfinals, and have as good a shot as any of the remaining NFC teams to make it to the SuperBowl.

2. Yes. We are a relatively young team. About the only place we are getting old is offensive line, which we need to target in the draft. Jackson looks like a good replacement for Faulk. Kennedy and Hargrove are improving at D line. McDonald and Curtis are probably the best 3 and 4 receivers in the league. Defensive secondary is young, so are the linebackers. We may need a free agent linebacker, but thatís about all. Bulger is in only his second full season as a QB, and will continue to mature and improve. Even Martz will gain in experience; remember this is his first head-coaching job at any level.

The future looks so bright, Iím gunna need shades!!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Yes, with all the turnover in personnel, the way this team keeps redefining itself as a playoff team you bet I'm satisfied.....I do wish our salary cap looked better but other than that yes, I'm satisfied.

We have one of the youngest teams in the NFL believe it or not. As long as we keep finding talent to plug into personnel losses, and Mike Martz continues to be the HC of the St. Louis Rams, you bet I'm confident in the near future. However, the minute Martz either departs or is forced out is when I start to worry about our near future.

RealRam is online now Registered User

1. Yes.
    2. Yes.

Yes, that means 'me'.

coy bacon is offline Registered User

1) No. I am not satisfied.
    I think some poor coaching decisions hurt us this year. Decisions that were amateur. I want to see Martz improve on the boneheaded things he does.

2) No. I do not feel good about the future.
    I am worried that our D is not going to be any better next year.

Of course we could win the SB, and you won't hear me say, "I'm not satisfied." Like John Kerry, I will flip-flop.

Ditto for next year.

"Nothing suceeds like success!"

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamTime
    1. Yes, I am satisfied. I was very unsatisfied during the year. Losing games we should have won and embarrassing ourselves along the way. I believe the team was far more capable than you would have guessed watching them shoot themselves in the foot game after game. Nick's list of injuries, especially to the o-line, has contributed greatly to the mediocre season.

But, to the see the team's resolve the last several games has renewed my enthusiasm for the team. Things seem to be coming together now, which is the right time for them to come together. If our ST can cover like they did Saturday, and if our defense can continue to improve as they have over the last 6 weeks, I think we have a legitimate shot to make it to the big dance. So yes, I'm OK with the present.

2. Yes, I am confident about the near future. As I mentioned above, I think we are just now beginning to show our true potential. There are a few glaring needs that hopefully will be addressed in the draft and through FA. We all know what those are. Plus, this group will for the most part have another year together under their belt playing together in the current schemes. A little fine tuning and we could have some great things to look forward to next year.
    Last edited by viper; -01-10-2005 at 06:25 PM.

AugustaRamFan is offline Registered User

1) Yes and No. The Rams were lucky to make the playoffs. Furthermore, they should have gone in as Division Champs.

2) Yes and No. I like the talent on the team and the potential. No - in that Martzie may not be the man who can unleash that talent on the NFL.

There - that is straight forward.