Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2 Yard Line

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

2 Yard Line

Why in the hell did we not just pound Jackson up the middle? I am really tired of being on the losing end of winnable games.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BrokenWing is online now Registered User

Re: 2 Yard Line

I have to question how truly winnable the game was. The defense was the problem, and I've noticed a pattern that the Defense has huge issues playing against mobile quarterbacks. Against pocket passers we seem to do pretty well. Once they start moving around though that's generally the end of it.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Running in that TD instead of the interception would have made it a 3 point game. To me, that is winnable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

svh01 is offline Registered User

We seem to do that a lot. We have a back like steven jackson and we never pound near the goal line. I was working so I didn't see the game. Was there any reason he only had 11 carries?

This is true. It was winnable at that point, I agree. I also disagree with the announcers putting the blame for the INT on Bradford. That was a timing issue, big Mike was supposed to be in a certain place and he wasn't.

Yeah there was. We didn't run it more than 11 times =).

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    I have to question how truly winnable the game was. The defense was the problem, and I've noticed a pattern that the Defense has huge issues playing against mobile quarterbacks. Against pocket passers we seem to do pretty well. Once they start moving around though that's generally the end of it.
    The Falcons run a good, ball-control offense. We gave them the underneath throws and they took them all day to keep the clock running, and the defense on the field. You could see how exhausted the D became as the game wore on. It wasn't their best day, but this was more a combination of offense being unable to convert 3rds and stay on the field, and the Falcons running a good strategy that made the defense play a ton of plays and stay on the field a long time.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    This is true. It was winnable at that point, I agree. I also disagree with the announcers putting the blame for the INT on Bradford. That was a timing issue, big Mike was supposed to be in a certain place and he wasn't.
    No way is that a timing route. Timing routes are downfield. I guarantee even Bradford knows that was 100% his fault. He looked absolutley sick after that. Even though the Falcons almost doubled the Rams time of posession at one point in the 4th quarter, the Rams were in this the whole game. The Falcons are tied for the best record in the NFL this year, and we had our shot to make it very close at the end, but Bradford picked a heck of a time to throw his first int in 4 games. I know all streaks must end, but man what bad luck for the timing of it.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam View Post
    Why in the hell did we not just pound Jackson up the middle? I am really tired of being on the losing end of winnable games.
    Who's to say pounding Jackson would have worked? Steven Jackson's touchdown percentage when running inside the ten yard line is pretty poor, 18th in the NFC alone.

Shurmur's going to get criticized either way, if the play doesn't work. If pounding it with Jackson fails, fans would call for him to be more creative or aggressive. He tries something aggressive, it's poorly executed, and he gets blamed for the call.

I didn't find the call particularly bad, but it wasn't executed well. Better execution and we may be praising a gutsy call. At least he tried something aggressive in that situation, IMO.

JFMose is offline Registered User

Easier said than done. Ironically, the closer you are to the endzone, the harder it is to score. Jackson can't even punch in a 3rd and short, but then again it doesn't hurt to try. I would've called a play action roll out...anything to get Sam out of the pocket.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

What I don't like about the call is that it was a "one option" play. Either its completed to Hoomanawanui (who hopefully walks into the end zone) or its an incompletion/interception.

Sam is so good at finding the second and third receivers, I'd rather see him given that opportunity in that situation.

But, as Nick said, if it works, many would be praising Shurmur for the call.

LA Rammer is online now Registered User

if we aren't winning this game i like the outcome. sammy needs this as a part of growing pains. right now i like what i see for next year. let's face it even if we were to make the playoffs our road woes would have been one and done on the road in the playoffs. (being a low seed) the rest of the season should give sammy plenty of learning curves so when we do get to the post season these mistakes don't kill us. heck the kid was almost perfect!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

LA Rammer is online now Registered User

as for SJAX we might see the coming of the end for such a magnificent career. we really need, as posted before, his replacement for the future of this franchise, I like where we are heading. Go Rams!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

bruce4life is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    as for SJAX we might see the coming of the end for such a magnificent career. we really need, as posted before, his replacement for the future of this franchise, I like where we are heading. Go Rams!
    Jackson still has game

I didn't suggest it was a timing route, it was a timing issue. Bradford likely expected him to be there at a certain point, and I wouldn't at all be surprised if he couldn't really see anything in that mess on the goal line. I can't really think of a reason he'd just toss it out there anyway *knowing* there was no one there to catch it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast