Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2 Yard Line

punahou is offline Registered User

Re: 2 Yard Line

Quote Originally Posted by svh01 View Post
    We seem to do that a lot. We have a back like steven jackson and we never pound near the goal line. I was working so I didn't see the game. Was there any reason he only had 11 carries?
    I am at work as well, and upon looking watching what I could via espn on the computer, I saw that Sjackson was 11/54 as far as rushing was concerned in the 1st half, yet when the game ended-- he was still 11/54....
    Last edited by punahou; -11-21-2010 at 09:49 PM.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Who's to say pounding Jackson would have worked? Steven Jackson's touchdown percentage when running inside the ten yard line is pretty poor, 18th in the NFC alone.

Shurmur's going to get criticized either way, if the play doesn't work. If pounding it with Jackson fails, fans would call for him to be more creative or aggressive. He tries something aggressive, it's poorly executed, and he gets blamed for the call.

I didn't find the call particularly bad, but it wasn't executed well. Better execution and we may be praising a gutsy call. At least he tried something aggressive in that situation, IMO.
    C'mon Nick, how can you say that wasn't a bad call,with all the people bunched in the middle that close to the goal line that play had no chance even if it was executed properly.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    Jackson still has game
    yeah he does. my problem is his inability to shake off tacklers. way to get him is to hit his legs and he is down. no break away speed. with some decent blocking he is good for now, but this team is three years in the making and we need to start thinking replacement is my point. just wish he had that roger craig ability to kick up his legs to shake off defenders.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    C'mon Nick, how can you say that wasn't a bad call,with all the people bunched in the middle that close to the goal line that play had no chance even if it was executed properly.
    Watch the replay - the Falcons aren't all bunched at the line. If anything, they're in what looks to be a pretty standard 4-3 alignment.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

What went wrong on that play was that Adam Goldberg got blown off the line of scrimmage by the Falcon's DT, and he ran into Mike Hoomanwanui which bumped Mike off course. If Goldberg had held his own on that play, Uh-Oh would have been right there to grab the TD toss.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    I didn't suggest it was a timing route, it was a timing issue. Bradford likely expected him to be there at a certain point, and I wouldn't at all be surprised if he couldn't really see anything in that mess on the goal line. I can't really think of a reason he'd just toss it out there anyway *knowing* there was no one there to catch it.
    It was a simple rookie mistake. A very unfortunate timed, game ending, rookie mistake. He's played so well recently I think we forget what he is. A kid who's played 10 games in the last 2 years.

1980RAMS is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam View Post
    Why in the hell did we not just pound Jackson up the middle? I am really tired of being on the losing end of winnable games.
    Your right!!! Pat Shumar has his head so far up his A**. The guy runs the ball when is 2 and 30. You run the ball when your on the freakin 2 yd line.

Jackson doesn't looks so good to me lately. He seems hesitant when is is running. I think after the last 3 years of him being the only bit of offense we have they have worn him out.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Watch the replay - the Falcons aren't all bunched at the line. If anything, they're in what looks to be a pretty standard 4-3 alignment.
    I will take your word for it, but that just isn't the part of the field to run that play.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Just finished watching the game and I'm getting frustrated with the seeming reluctance to run on first down and to give Jackson more than two carries consecutively.

The 3rd and 2 shovel pass was beyond frustrating.

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

Smile Re: 2 Yard Line

They looked pretty bunched up to me, but it is a short field, what 11 + 2 yards to field 11 D players. Clearly a running down to set up a play action on 3rd and short.

I agree with AV on this play too. Why not have more options than just throw the ball right at the goal line and pray a Ram comes free to get it. Once again, whoever is sending in the plays cost us the game. I'm still baffled at what the heck that was or who he was tossing it too. Clearly not Bradfords fault. It was designed poorly.

For the second week in a row I have to say our players played good enough to win. This takes me bact to the Carolina playoff game when we had 1 min to play and elect to kick a long field goal with a supirior offence. We lost that game as well in overtime.

But look on the bright side, Winners, Squaks, and the dumpster diving cards all lost as well so we are just 1 game out of first. That is something to be happy about.

GO RAMS

Quote Originally Posted by 1980RAMS View Post
    Your right!!! Pat Shumar has his head so far up his A**. The guy runs the ball when is 2 and 30. You run the ball when your on the freakin 2 yd line.

Jackson doesn't looks so good to me lately. He seems hesitant when is is running. I think after the last 3 years of him being the only bit of offense we have they have worn him out.
    So you run the ball from the two yard line, even though Jackson doesn't look good to you lately and you believe he's hesitant when running. Not sure I follow you there.

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    I will take your word for it, but that just isn't the part of the field to run that play.
    Some would disagree...

YouTube - NFL 2008 - Week 1 - Rams 3 Eagles 38

Start at the 0:40 minute mark. Westbrook actually had another short-yardage shovel pass touchdown later that season against the Cardinals. It's been an effective offensive component for the Eagles, where both Spags and Shurmur have roots.

Quote Originally Posted by lordwhttgr View Post
    They looked pretty bunched up to me
    Here's a screen shot...

The Falcons have the standard four DL, both ends are lined up either over or outside the tackles, and the three LBs are playing three yards off the LOS. The safety is cheating up but he's covering the space between the line and the slot receiver. I guess I just don't see where this alignment represents a bunched up defense.

As for your comment about it being a poorly designed play, Hoomanwanui said post-game that it had been working great in practice all week.

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

So you run the ball from the two yard line, even though Jackson doesn't look good to you lately and you believe he's hesitant when running. Not sure I follow you there.

Some would disagree...

YouTube - NFL 2008 - Week 1 - Rams 3 Eagles 38

Start at the 0:40 minute mark. Westbrook actually had another short-yardage shovel pass touchdown later that season against the Cardinals. It's been an effective offensive component for the Eagles, where both Spags and Shurmur have roots.

Here's a screen shot...

The Falcons have the standard four DL, both ends are lined up either over or outside the tackles, and the three LBs are playing three yards off the LOS. The safety is cheating up but he's covering the space between the line and the slot receiver. I guess I just don't see where this alignment represents a bunched up defense.

As for your comment about it being a poorly designed play, Hoomanwanui said post-game that it had been working great in practice all week.
    lol please count them, I see 8 guys in the box with 3 covering wide outs. How many do you count?

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Bradford and Hooman weren't on the same page on the play. Hooman got bunched up and couldn't follow his route towards the endzone, Sam flicks the ball to where he thought Michael would be and thus the Pic! Got to give Sam the Choke job on that one, on this test of his early career. This situation will come about many of times thoughout his career.(2min drill, No huddle) Sam looked to basically shovel the ball up for grabs, In a word he Goofed! Illadvised toss that cost the Rams! Learn from this, SAM!
    No Worries, Peyton is still learning too! He Goofed today also!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

supachump is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    you could see how exhausted the D became as the game wore on.
    Let's be honest. The defense looks exhausted in the 4th of every game.

Quote Originally Posted by lordwhttgr View Post
    lol please count them, I see 8 guys in the box with 3 covering wide outs. How many do you count?
    I outlined what I saw in my post - four DL in standard formation (as in not bunched/pinched inside), three linebackers playing a few yards off the ball, and a safety aligned b/t the slot receiver and the RT. The guy in the back behind the LBs is a ref. Again, I wouldn't call this "bunched up."

Rams rank second to last in the league on first down % when rushing on third and short; only Carolina is worse. Jackson has one of the worst touchdown percentages in the NFC (let alone the league) when running inside the ten. Pounding Jackson was far from a guarantee, either.

This is a play they've practiced all week and has reportedly looked good. It's a play that the previous team of both the head coach and OC used quite successfully with their offense. It didn't work out this time, but it certainly can work well in this situation. Again, just look at the video.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast