Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 61 to 74 of 74

Thread: 2 Yard Line

  1. #61
    BM_Face's Avatar
    BM_Face is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Nebraska
    Age
    43
    Posts
    436
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: 2 Yard Line

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    They are third in the league in negative plays when running up the middle. Steven Jackson converts only 10% of his runs inside the ten yard line for touchdowns.
    Statistics are fun! How many turnovers does SJax have in the Red-Zone?

    We can go round and round about what is basically a philosophical difference between conservative and risky play-calling. Again, I am not against opening up the play-book, I just have this crazy notion that Red-zone visits end with points instead of turnovers.

    The play that was called on Sunday did result in a turnover, that cannot be in question. I will take my chances with SJax everyday of the week over that.

    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

  2. #62
    berg8309's Avatar
    berg8309 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,897
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: 2 Yard Line

    Quote Originally Posted by BM_Face View Post
    Statistics are fun! How many turnovers does SJax have in the Red-Zone?

    We can go round and round about what is basically a philosophical difference between conservative and risky play-calling. Again, I am not against opening up the play-book, I just have this crazy notion that Red-zone visits end with points instead of turnovers.

    The play that was called on Sunday did result in a turnover, that cannot be in question. I will take my chances with SJax everyday of the week over that.
    The round and round game goes both ways. When the ball is turned over in the redzone, people say "We should have gone conservative! hand the ball to jackson and at least we get a FG!" Good point

    Then, when we hand the ball to Jackson and only get a field goal, the boo birds come back out again with "Why are we so conservative and predicatable!? How are we supposed to win games if the other team knows exactly what we are doing! Shurmur needs to learn how to call plays!"

    it's like a lose-lose. If we go conservative and don't score, shurmur is an idiot, if we go creative and don't score, shurmur is an idiot. Basically unless Shurmur creates a perfect redzone play everytime, he is an idiot.

    I'm not saying you do that, I don't know poster-specifics, but if you read through enough threads you see that theme come out. So what is Shurmur supposed to do?

  3. #63
    JustinHasAnAxe's Avatar
    JustinHasAnAxe is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
    Posts
    106
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: 2 Yard Line

    Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    The round and round game goes both ways. When the ball is turned over in the redzone, people say "We should have gone conservative! hand the ball to jackson and at least we get a FG!" Good point

    Then, when we hand the ball to Jackson and only get a field goal, the boo birds come back out again with "Why are we so conservative and predicatable!? How are we supposed to win games if the other team knows exactly what we are doing! Shurmur needs to learn how to call plays!"

    it's like a lose-lose. If we go conservative and don't score, shurmur is an idiot, if we go creative and don't score, shurmur is an idiot. Basically unless Shurmur creates a perfect redzone play everytime, he is an idiot.

    I'm not saying you do that, I don't know poster-specifics, but if you read through enough threads you see that theme come out. So what is Shurmur supposed to do?
    In this situation, with the game on the line you give the ball to your best player. Bottom line. Shurmur decided he would outsmart the Falcons and it bit him in the rear.

  4. #64
    berg8309's Avatar
    berg8309 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,897
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: 2 Yard Line

    Quote Originally Posted by JustinHasAnAxe View Post
    In this situation, with the game on the line you give the ball to your best player. Bottom line. Shurmur decided he would outsmart the Falcons and it bit him in the rear.
    Saying he was trying to "outsmart" the Falcons implies two things: Offensive coordinators never do that, and that it was stupid for him to think he could. Offensive coordinators try to outsmart the D all the time, it's how they win games. Name me one successful offensive coordinator who runs the same plays on the same down time and time again and never tries to fool or trick the opposition. Personally I prefer an offensive coordinator who tries to outsmart the D. If you'd rather have one that shares his playbook, go ahead. I'll play your team any day of the week.

    All of this comes down to the fact that if Bradford didn't execute it poorly, it wasn't a poor play call, and we still had Jackson on 4th down. The ball doesn't have to be and shouldn't be in Jackson's hands for every down near the goal line. It's predictable, and it will get stopped.

  5. #65
    codeman123's Avatar
    codeman123 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    canada
    Age
    24
    Posts
    500
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: 2 Yard Line

    Atlanta admitted to having no idea that play was being run. They said they were not prepared for it. If Mike got past Goldberg it was him with his momentum moving forward against a safety. I like the odds of him getting in if he catches it. The Rams also practiced it and prepared to run it in the redzone during the week. I think this play is being over analyzed way too much. Going by percentages, which is all you can do as a playcaller, it was safe and it was something the opposition wasn't expecting. It didn't work out, but I liked the idea. I didn't like how it was run.

  6. #66
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,246
    Rep Power
    127

    Re: 2 Yard Line

    Quote Originally Posted by codeman123 View Post
    Atlanta admitted to having no idea that play was being run. They said they were not prepared for it. If Mike got past Goldberg it was him with his momentum moving forward against a safety. I like the odds of him getting in if he catches it. The Rams also practiced it and prepared to run it in the redzone during the week. I think this play is being over analyzed way too much. Going by percentages, which is all you can do as a playcaller, it was safe and it was something the opposition wasn't expecting. It didn't work out, but I liked the idea. I didn't like how it was run.
    Very nice post. The Rams players commented that they did indeed practice the play throughout the week and were comfortable with it. I said in the chatroom on Sunday after the play, "good idea, bad execution", and I still believe that. Bottom line, as many others have noted, if it was successful, everybody would be raving about what a great call it was.

  7. #67
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,302
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: 2 Yard Line

    Quote Originally Posted by JustinHasAnAxe View Post
    I disagree. To be honest i dont see how anyone could come to the conclusion that Jackson is not our best option in that situation despite the numbers.
    It's rather easy - the numbers pretty clearly illustrate that this is not a strong point of the Rams' offense. One only needed to watch Jackson get stuffed for a two yard loss earlier in this very game to be reminded of that.


    Quote Originally Posted by BM_Face View Post
    Statistics are fun! How many turnovers does SJax have in the Red-Zone?

    We can go round and round about what is basically a philosophical difference between conservative and risky play-calling. Again, I am not against opening up the play-book, I just have this crazy notion that Red-zone visits end with points instead of turnovers.

    The play that was called on Sunday did result in a turnover, that cannot be in question. I will take my chances with SJax everyday of the week over that.
    So when asked why the Rams should still have pounded the rock despite numerous stats illustrating their poor conversion percentage when rushing in short yardage situations, your response is to say, "Stats are fun?" and to make it sound as if those defending the play are in favor of turning the ball over?

    Given the Rams' clear struggles converting short yardage situations with the run (struggles that few if any of the play's critics appear to seriously acknowledge and recognize), trying something different that is considered to be a pretty safe play is not the awful call numerous fans are making it out to be and actually has some merit. And again, had it been executed properly, there's a good chance it would have worked, as it has for other teams who have used it in this exact situation. Just because a play is poorly executed doesn't make it the wrong call. This, IMO, is one of those situations.

  8. #68
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER's Avatar
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Surf City USA
    Age
    61
    Posts
    2,277
    Rep Power
    56

    Re: 2 Yard Line

    This whole thread is ridiculous. Of course the play call was bad. It didn't work.

    However, if it had worked, it would have been the most brilliant playcalling ever.

    Typical fans NEVER say a successful play call was a bad one. But if it goes badly, even if it was just bad execution, its ALWAYS because it was a "bad play call". Come on fellas. I quarentee that if the Rams "pound Jackson in there", and he doesn't make it (which is how I think that play would have turned out) then it's "I can't believe how unimaginative Shurmur's play calling is". ..."Jackson hadn't done anything all game and they try to run it up the gut with the game on the line?" "Stupid".

    It was a poorly executed play, but not a bad play call. The kid screwed up. He did NOT take a good look at where he was tossing the ball. He just tossed it and the wrong guy was there. Rookie mistake. We knew that during this season, the kid would make plays like that because he's a rookie. Now, when he does, we blame it on play calling. The Rams lost that game for three reasons. The Rams defense failed them, the O-line was constantly getting pushed off the ball, and the Falcons are a better team.

    Deal with it.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

  9. #69
    berg8309's Avatar
    berg8309 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,897
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: 2 Yard Line

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Deal with it.
    I don't wanna! You can't make me!

  10. #70
    jkramsfan's Avatar
    jkramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Destin,Fl.
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,507
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: 2 Yard Line

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Alright, if no amount of information to the contrary is going to convince you otherwise, then there's not much left to say here.




    Especially when you consider how poorly they blocked an earlier 3rd & Short attempt.
    you say to the contrary,I say it doesn't really matter or change my mind,so we disagree about this,thats ok, you did have good info.

  11. #71
    GROUND DOG 39's Avatar
    GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MANCHESTER, U.K.
    Posts
    1,483
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: 2 Yard Line

    It was the perfect play call, the falcon's were all expecting the ball was going to Jackson. It was a rookie mistake after Goldberg didnt get enough push in the play and blocked Mike H's route to the ball. We flat out got beat, give the falcons some credit for the play. Bradford got rid of the ball in panic because he was going to be hit.
    Plain and simple, we were dominated throughout the game, yet was very close to taking it at the end. We score there and I think we win the game. Which is a testament to this young, scrappy team. Dont forget how untalented this team is, before throwing them to the wolves ???

  12. #72
    AlphaRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    a
    Posts
    2,521
    Rep Power
    74

    Re: 2 Yard Line

    This thread is not ridiculous. It has the same validity as Frerotte fumbling on the 1/2 yard line as time expired with the Shehawks. The bottom line is this - we need to be able to pound the damn ball into the damn end zone from the damned 2 yard line.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  13. #73
    JustinPoole is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mo
    Posts
    33
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: 2 Yard Line

    This thread is ridiculous. One group arguing one side while another argues the other side, while a third group keeps stating both sides are being stubborn and there is no black and white wrong or right call. Guess which group is correct?

  14. #74
    AlphaRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    a
    Posts
    2,521
    Rep Power
    74

    Re: 2 Yard Line

    It wouldn't be a very exciting message board if we all agreed all of the time and stroking each other all of the time, now would it?

    Quote Originally Posted by JustinPoole View Post
    This thread is ridiculous. One group arguing one side (Republicans) while another argues the other side (Democrats), while a third group keeps stating both sides are being stubborn and there is no black and white wrong or right call (Independents). Guess which group is correct? (Those that agree with me)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Similar Threads

  1. Continuity Leads To Chemistry For Offensive Line
    By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: -10-28-2010, 11:21 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: -07-28-2010, 12:25 PM
  3. Replies: 33
    Last Post: -03-19-2010, 09:59 PM
  4. Rams' PSLs available- 35 yard line lower level
    By NFLTopGun in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -03-14-2008, 03:51 PM
  5. Quantity & Quality: Rams offensive line
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: -08-28-2007, 02:49 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •