Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    general counsel is offline Registered User

In the 20-20 hindsight category...london fletcher

hindsight is 20-20, but the fact remains that we have never been even CLOSE to the same defense since we let fletcher leave. The absence of the human tackle machine can not be underestimated. we have had a parade of pretenders in the middle and none of them has come even close to fletch. duncan, thomas, claiborne, it just hasnt happened.

Does anyone remember how far apart we were with fletch money wise?

ramming speed to all

general counsel

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

Re: In the 20-20 hindsight category...london fletcher

I don't remember, but I do remember that I was upset that we didn't resign him. I think this will go down as one of the biggest mistakes in Rams history.
    Sprtsmac :football:

txramsfan is offline Registered User

It's one of the biggest mistakes in St. Louis Rams history, probably higher than drafting Lawrence Phillips. I'd say that it would be extremely tough to find a bigger loss to this organization than the Fletcher loss.

The turley debacle is certainly up there, but the injury was a large part of that and that was out of everyones control. i see no reason to believe that the turley situation would have blown up without the back problem.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

It almost makes me wanna puke every time I hear an announcer talking about Fletcher making several key tackles in a game....and it happens almost every week.
    This happened because someone was more worried about money than about football. they shouldn't let non-football types into the FO.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam
    It almost makes me wanna puke every time I hear an announcer talking about Fletcher making several key tackles in a game....and it happens almost every week.
    This happened because someone was more worried about money than about football. they shouldn't let non-football types into the FO.
    IIRC, Lovie had a hand in this as well. He was convinced Duncan could successfully fill Fletch's shoes, therefore the FO chose to not spend the money on him.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

I read somewhere that Fletcher wanted a certain sum of money from the Rams and when he didn't get what HE thought he was worth he went shopping. Eventually Buffalo offered him a contract at lower money than he demanded from the Rams. Then the Rams made a final offer that even exceeded Buffalo's, but Fletcher decided to sign with Buffalo anyway. If I recall it was HB (you know who that is) that disclosed this information. If this story is true then Fletcher can go jump in Lake Erie for all I care.

WHAT SAY YE?

I always read and heard that the rams never got close to the buffalo offer. I agree with hubison that lovie wanted duncan, the thinking was duncan was better in pass coverage and pretty close against the run. Yet another thing to thank the great and sainted lovie for, along with the bust pick of the nutcracker.

One other point. In the cap era, you cant say "dont worry about money." Success as a team is about balancing the total number of cap dollars. Teams get into big big trouble paying non core guys. You cant pay up just because someone is "good" its about replacability on the open market and who your core guys are. The error with fletch was the decision that he was NOT a core guy and that we could replace him comporably on the open market (ie duncan) for less cap money. Doesnt mean we thought duncan was as good as fletch, but that we thought that he was better value, ie could generate the same value per dollar he was being paid.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

ramming speed to all

general counsel

CarolinaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    It's one of the biggest mistakes in St. Louis Rams history, probably higher than drafting Lawrence Phillips. I'd say that it would be extremely tough to find a bigger loss to this organization than the Fletcher loss.
    Bigger than Dickerson?

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Fletch was and still is a GREAT LB he is second in the NFL currently in tackles at 150 or 10 a game. He also has 4 sacks and a forced fumble. Our leading tackler is Pisa at 84 or 5.6 a game almost half.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Correct me if I am wrong...but didn't we need to choose between Little and Fletcher that year. We could only afford one not both.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

That whole draft was a nightmare. UUUUGGGGGHHHHH. You think we have problems now *LOL*

AJD45 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    Correct me if I am wrong...but didn't we need to choose between Little and Fletcher that year. We could only afford one not both.
    Yep, the Rams gave Little a 5-year contract worth $17m and a $4m signing bonus. They signed Duncan to a 5-year deal for $11m with a $3m signing bonus. Fletcher signed a 5-year deal with the Bills for $17m with a $4m signing bonus.

It seems that a deal could have been done in theory, but as RAMarkable pointed out, by that time the bridge between the Rams and Fletcher had burnt. Fletcher had a huge chip on his shoulder that the Rams never gave him his proper compensation. He may have had a valid argument -- the Rams paid him the minimum for his first three years so maybe it should have been his turn to make big money.

Since 2000, Fletcher has more tackles than anyone in the NFL, doesn't have to come out on passing downs, and he is also a great special teams player.

I dont compare it to dickerson since dickerson demanded to be traded. that was also before the cap era so its tough to compare in the sense that we could have theoretically paid dickerson.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Jack_Youngblood is offline Registered User

I think another mistake is about to pan out with the loss of polley.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast