RockinRam is offline Registered User

20 Points Each Game...Just 20 Points...

And we would be 6-1. Heck, we might even be 7-0 because confidence and mentality goes a long way.

20 points is the amount of points we have needed to score each week to win the game (I'm not including the abomination in Detroit).

Just 20 points!

Two touchdowns, two field goals.

It's really not that hard.

So, what does this mean. It means several things.

1. Our defense is keeping us in games, and even basically handing us a WIN.

2. Our offense cannot take full advantage of the opportunities our defense gives them.

3. The play-calling. Some very surprising conservative calls. No screens or "more exciting plays" after the half? Not taking advantage of our personnel.

It must be frustrating for the defense to see their hard work of fending off their opponents wittle away into wasted effort because the offense cannot finish off the game.

The defense has been playing solid this year, even with some missed opportunities and some missed tackling. For the most part, they are giving us VERY WINNABLE CHANCES every Sunday.

It's time for Pat Shurmur and Steve Spagnuolo to step it up, and show that they can make this team play good football for 4 quarters.

It's time for Sam Bradford to step it up even more, and show that he will be rookie of the year.

It's time for the receivers to step it up and prove that they will make this team next year.

It's time for the offensive line to step it up and give our rookie passer solid protection. It's time that they blow open holes for Jackson.

It's time for our tight ends to distinguish themselves due to a lackluster receiving corps.

It's time for Darby to step it up, and prove that he CAN be our #2 back.

20 points is all the defense is asking. It's time for this offense to step it up.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Re: 20 Points Each Game...Just 20 Points...

There are a number of times that the defense has dropped interceptions....even hitting each other to drop the ball.

Just yesterday, if one of the opportunities is realized, we end up with a different result for the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam View Post
    There are a number of times that the defense has dropped interceptions....even hitting each other to drop the ball.

Just yesterday, if one of the opportunities is realized, we end up with a different result for the game.
    That is true. If the defense had taken advtange of even a few missed opportunities this year, our record might be different.

However, I'm more concerned about our lackluster offense more than the defense's concentration laspe, although both needs to be shored up and fixed.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

While I want more wins, I am not down about the season. For where we were, then enter Sam the rookie as QB, we aren't making poor progress. It does seem that there are no adjustments made at halftime and that does seem to kill us.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam View Post

There have been 212 interceptions this year and only 21 of those have been returned for touchdowns... that is 10%.

So 90% of interceptions = another possession for the offense. If the offense can't move the ball and score then how does it help?

If we had completed one of those picks what makes you think it would have resulted in a successful drive and not just another punt?

Trust me I would love more interceptions but I believe it is one of those "sexy" stats that do not necessarily equate to wins.

We have 5 interceptions.

The Jets have 5 interceptions and they are 5-1.
    The Ravens have 5 interceptions and they are 5-2.

Now there are plenty of teams with more interceptions and better records than us but I picked these to examples because last time I checked they were considered pretty good defenses.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Considering that we were last in the league with 10.9 points per game last year(31st had a 12.3 avg) and this year we're up to 17.1 per game, with a rookie QB, I would actually say that the offense is doing very well.

Are we lighting it up, no. But considering that we have had a revolving door at receiver and tight end and the aforementioned rookie running our offense, I'm not unhappy.

It's great to know that if we could put together 20 points a game we'd be at the top of the NFC's win column, and that only makes me more excited for the future. When Bradford has a full year of learning the NFL and this system under his belt, and he hopefully has a solidified receiving corps, he should take that next step and give us the points to consistently keep us in the win column.
    I believe!

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Everybody is saying the D dropped a lot of interceptions yesterday. I do agree they did drop a lot of interceptions. But you guys do realize they only gave up 18 Points, 5 FGs....That was still in some terms a gutsy performance. Ofcourse they were getting gassed and that last drive really was inevitable.

xkidflowx is offline Registered User

its simple, Our D is solid, our O is solid, just our second half performances is slacking.. and our ablitiy to score in the red zone.. I reailze we can reach the redzone pretty amazingly but cant finish out with 7... Honestly, didn't we only expected to get this amount of wins this year? didn't we want Suh? didnt we want Feely to start before bradford..? WE are doing great.. its just a bump in the road.. You win some you lose some.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Defense hasn't been "solid" when it comes to catching INT's & they weren't "solid" against Detroit.....but I think the overall issue is here: WE NEED MORE TALENT!

thickandthin is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    And we would be 6-1. Heck, we might even be 7-0 because confidence and mentality goes a long way.

20 points is the amount of points we have needed to score each week to win the game (I'm not including the abomination in Detroit).

Just 20 points!

Two touchdowns, two field goals.

It's really not that hard.

So, what does this mean. It means several things.

1. Our defense is keeping us in games, and even basically handing us a WIN.

2. Our offense cannot take full advantage of the opportunities our defense gives them.

3. The play-calling. Some very surprising conservative calls. No screens or "more exciting plays" after the half? Not taking advantage of our personnel.

It must be frustrating for the defense to see their hard work of fending off their opponents wittle away into wasted effort because the offense cannot finish off the game.

The defense has been playing solid this year, even with some missed opportunities and some missed tackling. For the most part, they are giving us VERY WINNABLE CHANCES every Sunday.

It's time for Pat Shurmur and Steve Spagnuolo to step it up, and show that they can make this team play good football for 4 quarters.

It's time for Sam Bradford to step it up even more, and show that he will be rookie of the year.

It's time for the receivers to step it up and prove that they will make this team next year.

It's time for the offensive line to step it up and give our rookie passer solid protection. It's time that they blow open holes for Jackson.

It's time for our tight ends to distinguish themselves due to a lackluster receiving corps.

It's time for Darby to step it up, and prove that he CAN be our #2 back.

20 points is all the defense is asking. It's time for this offense to step it up.
    I agree with everything you said except for the one about Darby. I think he has proven that he is a very capable backup RB. He's gone 85 yards on 26 carries and has 2 TD. He's making the most of his few opportunities. He was also I think 1-2 yards away from a TD against the Bucs.

Quote Originally Posted by thickandthin View Post
    I agree with everything you said except for the one about Darby. I think he has proven that he is a very capable backup RB. He's gone 85 yards on 26 carries and has 2 TD. He's making the most of his few opportunities. He was also I think 1-2 yards away from a TD against the Bucs.

He's shown good flashes, but I still think that he needs to show more. Occasionally, he'll break a nice run for a good gain, but he still has trouble with running through the tackles semi-consistently that is needed from a #2 back.

I will say though, he is showing that he is improving, especially with making plays in the open field.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I agree with most of the posts on this thread. But let's remember, you have to crawl before you can walk and we're in the crawling stage right now.

If I said before the season that we were able to go into our bye week with as many wins as losses, I think you would have been fairly happy. Let's hope we win at home versus Carolina ( a very winnable game for us). I believe the play-calling has been conservative, but with a rookie QB you have to move slowly. He's done fine and will improve as the season unfolds. We'll probably win some games that we thought before the season we wouldn't win. I'm thinking New Orleans might be a winnable game for us.

Go Rams!