Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 20 Post-Combine/Pre-FA Random Thoughts

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

20 Post-Combine/Pre-FA Random Thoughts

1. For me, there are really only 3 grades I give to players at the Combine: "better than I expected," "met expectations," and "disappointing."

2. Some notable "better than I expected" prospects: Mike Evans, Justin Gilbert, Aaron Donald, Taylor Lewan, Ryan Shazier, Tyler Gaffney, Bradley Roby, and Deone Bucannon.

3. Some notable "met expectations" prospects: Jake Matthews, Greg Robinson, Sammy Watkins, Darqueze Dennard, Jadeveon Clowney, Hasean Clinton-Dix, Calvin Pryor, Kelvin Benjamin, Tre Mason, Jimmy Garoppolo and Stanley Jean-Baptiste.

4. Some notable "disappointing" prospects: David Yankey, Cyrus Kouandjio, Allen Robinson, Lamarcus Joyner, Travis Swanson and Marcus Roberson.

5. When I think of the Rams' primary needs, I look at WR1, RB2, OG/C, OT, DT2/3, SLB, CB and FS. If the Rams can fill two of those needs in FA, I think that would be more than sufficient, as the remaining needs can be filled in the draft.

6. My thoughts on Rodger Saffold remain the same. If he's willing to be paid as a quality starting OG, I want him back. If he thinks he should get LT money, happy trails.

7. While a guy like Alex Mack is a dream, one realistic FA target for the interior OL who is worth a look is Brian de la Puente, who has been a durable and effective starter for the Saints.

8. Speaking of the Saints, Malcolm Jenkins would fill the FS role nicely.

9. In the past, I've been of the opinion that the Rams should only consider young (28 and under) FAs who have the potential of playing out a 4-5 year deal at a high level. However, I now think the Rams have reached a point in their development at which they might consider bringing in an older veteran who can fill a role for 1-2 years while one of the many young players on the roster develops.

10. The Rams, therefore, should be looking at which veterans are being released, as some interesting names will emerge.

11. It makes me so sad to see the turmoil in San Frans-BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! (I knew I couldn't type that with a straight face).

12. There are certain draft prospects that I put in the: "I really like him, but maybe not at the price it would take to get him" category. Aaron Donald, Jimmy Garoppolo, Tre Mason and Ryan Shazier come to mind.

13. You have no idea how happy I am that the Rams are not among the teams considering Johnny Manziel.

14. My gut tells me that the team the Rams are most likely to trade the No. 2 pick to is Minnesota. The Vikings really need a QB and, unless they really like Derek Carr, they have to move up to get one of the top guys.

15. I don't want to make any trade that does not yield a 2014 Round 2 pick (plus other picks). This draft is so deep that a Round 2 pick (particularly in the Top 50 overall) may be as good as a future first round selection.

16. I wonder how the increased cap will impact that Rams that were presumed to be as good as gone. At this point, I'm really not sure that the Rams won't bring back Wells, Dahl and Finnegan (though, in Finnegan's case, I'm presuming that a restructure would be required).

17. We now have several weeks of Pro Days reports to look forward to. You know, those workouts where guys who ran a 4.65 at the Combine are reported as having run a 4.42.

18. I just wanted to thank the Washington Native American Slurs once again for their wonderful losing streak that put the Rams in this great draft position.

19. Looks like I may be heading to St. Louis at the start of August for a couple of days. Hope Training Camp is open to the public while I'm there!

20. Wonder when the draft preview magazines will hit the news stands...

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: 20 Post-Combine/Pre-FA Random Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by AV
    12. There are certain draft prospects that I put in the: "I really like him, but maybe not at the price it would take to get him" category. Aaron Donald, Jimmy Garoppolo, Tre Mason and Ryan Shazier come to mind.
    I agree, but I'd be lying if I said the thought of Donald on our DL doesn't make me do backflips.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Very Great assessment. I'd also like to add another disappointing prospects to the list and that would be Michael Sam, he was horrible in the combine. I thought he would have posted at least average numbers. This guy has to have a better than average pro day. Or he might not even be drafted, I doubt after his outing that he'll be invited to the green room.

I would love for us to draft Mike Evans or Marquis Lee as Wide Out. If Watkins is available which I don't think he will be, I'd welcome him.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    I'd also like to add another disappointing prospects to the list and that would be Michael Sam, he was horrible in the combine. I thought he would have posted at least average numbers.
    That's a great point. I have to wonder if all the distractions he had between the "coming out" and Combine didn't have a very detrimental effect on his training. As a Mizzou fan, I know what the kid can do on the field. He won't be a good fit for many teams, but in the right defense he could be a contributor.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RebelYell is offline Registered User

"17. We now have several weeks of Pro Days reports to look forward to. You know, those workouts where guys who ran a 4.65 at the Combine are reported as having run a 4.42."

Always fun when people act as if it doesn't matter where you run.

Doesn't shock me Michael Sam was weaker than expected, shocks me he ran so slow. I'm not sure he'll make an NFL squad. Ealy disappointed also. (GO MIZZOU)

Richburg is the #1 Center prospect. Swanson isn't far behind IMO. I'd take either player.

When May rolls around Robinson will have jumped over Matthews. 50/50 Lewan jumps Matthews.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

I agree...there are lots of possibilities for the Rams to go, O-line/WR/secondary...the good news there its a rich draft prospects. For me the Combine is a show case of who is an athlete and who isn't. The 40yard, though fun to watch, I can't imagine a speedster not getting jammed at the line and within the 5 yard zone. Still a WR burst of speed/quickness/ball hawking surely has many HCs drooling. I think the pro-day will show case those abilities.

Avenger's point 10, is what really caught my eye. The Rams do need to watch closely who other teams are cutting loose. That more then anything I think will make a good or bad draft for the Rams. There they can go for depth players counting they already have lots of first string players, or they can go for starters. But the more you can do with FA allows you to look at other areas and perhaps walk away with a steal.

Jadeveon Clowney--That possibility bothers me, up and down weight issues. I am just happy the Rams have that position taken care of.

The real question where will the Rams make their moves to upgrade the team...first round...second round...and at what positions. Its a safe pick to go after Robinson/Mathews and makes sense, but going that rout, where does the Rams get their #1 WR from, or Safety, or.... Its far too early to fill in the map just yet, but its starting.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Relative to your #8 point about Malcolm Jenkins, who I'm not sure will be a wise investment, I keep wondering about Thomas DeCoud if he's released by Atlanta. Similar to Jenkins he may be meh, based on 2013, but he had a very good 2012.

Go Rams!
    RamBamThankYouMam likes this.

RamBamThankYouMam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Relative to your #8 point about Malcolm Jenkins, who I'm not sure will be a wise investment, I keep wondering about Thomas DeCoud if he's released by Atlanta. Similar to Jenkins he may be meh, based on 2013, but he had a very good 2012.

Go Rams!
    With DeCoud having ties to Snead, Gregg Williams extracting the most of his talent, and him seeming like a Fisher type player I would say the Rams go for it. He probably wouldn't be crazy expensive, and he is still relatively young. It also allows the Rams to address other areas of need in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    That's a great point. I have to wonder if all the distractions he had between the "coming out" and Combine didn't have a very detrimental effect on his training. As a Mizzou fan, I know what the kid can do on the field. He won't be a good fit for many teams, but in the right defense he could be a contributor.
    I'm interested in how he does on his pro day. I don't agree that he had to come out before or ever, as a fan I just care if a guy can help my team win. Nobody is having sex on a football field so I don't see why it mattered. He was so awful, and the only reason I'm talking about it is because of how awful he was. I saw the highlights they've showed of him and I'm like Ray Lewis prototype. I saw him run his time, and then go through the drills and he looked stiff. I'm nooooo this can't be the same guy.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

As we should not discuss the taboo topics of religion, politics, etc. on the board, I will refrain from social commentary, but suffice to say the issue DOES MATTER to many players in the locker room. And of all the idiot talking heads on TV, only Herm Edwards has had the guts to speak honestly on the subject. Most everyone else I've heard has glossed over it and said the things which will least likely get them into hot water with the liberal media.

If it weren't for the "gay" issue", Michael Sam would not be generating the attention he's getting. He is not unlike hundreds of other NFL hopefuls- a real good college player who has some major question marks moving forward. All I've read indicates the guy will be a mid-round type of pick who will not have an immediate impact on the team that drafts him.

MACD is offline Registered User

Since I follow the college game more closely someone help me here: Is there a pre-draft period for Free Agency action, or is it open season right now?

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    As we should not discuss the taboo topics of religion, politics, etc. on the board, I will refrain from social commentary, but suffice to say the issue DOES MATTER to many players in the locker room. And of all the idiot talking heads on TV, only Herm Edwards has had the guts to speak honestly on the subject. Most everyone else I've heard has glossed over it and said the things which will least likely get them into hot water with the liberal media.

If it weren't for the "gay" issue", Michael Sam would not be generating the attention he's getting. He is not unlike hundreds of other NFL hopefuls- a real good college player who has some major question marks moving forward. All I've read indicates the guy will be a mid-round type of pick who will not have an immediate impact on the team that drafts him.
    The guys in the Locker room already deal with it. There has been and will always be gays in sports, the statistics say so. You've already had guys accept or avoid gay players in the Locker room. So my statement is why did he feel the need to have to say anything. He's only hurt his chances by putting the spotlight on himself. If a team doesn't pick him does the NFL now get sued? I'm neither condone nor judge, my point is this dude looked horrible, like he didn't belong playing football at the combine. If I were a team, with that combine performance I'd avoid him.

I'm hoping he has a better Pro Day, cause he looked awful out there.

I've got 20 random topics, and Michael Sam ain't one.

Stay on point, guys. Thanks.

macrammer is offline Registered User

I think we need to sign a FA WR and I agree, age is not a concern. We need a proven guy to go to much like the Whiners got last year when they signed Boldin. I think drafting a future number 1 is key this year but really don't have any expectations that he will be able to carry the load as a number 1 this coming season.

Unfortunately, there isn't much out there in the WR FA market that looks too promising. Hakim Nicks? Maybe. Kenny Britt? No, thanks.

Maybe someone else will hit the market who will be worth a look.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast