Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By mde8352gorams
  • 1 Post By shower beers
  • 1 Post By Rambos

Thread: 20 Post-Draft Random Thoughts

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

20 Post-Draft Random Thoughts

1. I am thrilled to have Tavon Austin. While I didn't want to have to trade up to get him, by making a second trade in the first round, the Rams were able to keep the same number of Day 1/2 selections. Great work by Snead and Co.

2. One role that people have not been talking about for Austin that I think could be key: decoy. Defenses will worry about him every time he's near the ball. A fake reverse, for example, could open up the deep ball to Givens, or a counter play to Pead, or... Schott is going to have fun drawing these plays up.

3. I am really pumped about the possibilities for the Rams special teams. With Legatron, a top punter, guys like Brandon McGee on coverage, and Austin returning kicks... the special teams may win us a game or two.

4. I still worry about depth at safety. A lot rides on Darian Stewart, who I thought was an up and coming player at the end of 2011.

5. I like the idea of Ray Ray Armstrong at OLB (and yes, that will be the last UM plug in this post).

6. I loved the selection of Barrett Jones. If he had not had his foot injury, he probably would have been selected on Friday.

7. I feel pretty good about our OL depth.

8. The Rams' D was getting a reputation last year of being tough and nasty. With the addtion of Ogletree and McDonald, it should become scary.

9. As a 5'7 guy, I like the idea of countering the Jumbo CBs in the NFC West with smaller, quicker, WRs.

10. Zac Stacy wasn't the RB I had in mind, but he is exactly the type of RB I had in mind.

11. Will the Rams ever make a first round selection without a trade? (Mock Drafters want to know!)

12. While I would never suggest that Steven Jackson was not a great player for the Rams, the one advantage of his departure is that the Rams' offense will be far less predictable.

13. While I'm not a fan of "draft grades," and I recognize that the "experts" are often wrong, its still nice to see all the positive reviews of the Rams' draft.

14. I've even seen some comments by Niner and Seahawk fans praising (and expressing a bit of concern) regarding the Rams' selections.

15. I ordered a Tavon Austin jersey (is anyone surprised?)

16. Top 5 fastest current Rams: (1) Austin, (2) McGee, (3) Chris Givens, (4) Janoris Jenkins, (5) Isaiah Pead. All added in the last two years.

17. I think the rest of the NFC West had good drafts as well, but each team made a move that cause me to scratch my head. Niners: was Eric Reid worth trading up for? Seahawks: is Christine Michael the kind of guy who will accept a reserve role? Cardinals: was Tyrann Mathiew worth a third round pick?

18. Anyone who questioned the hiring of Jeff Fisher and Les Snead: please send your apology note to Rams Park.

19. Yes, I know the Rams have only started on the road to contention, but the existence and execution of a clear plan could not be clearer.

20. How long until opening day?

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Re: 20 Post-Draft Random Thoughts

Av, all very good thoughts and I agree with all of them. Several points I would add:

1. Include Darryl Richardson among your fastest Rams
    2. The Rams possess a high degree of confidence in Brian Quick to not draft or sign (FA) physical WR
    3. It pains me that we'll be seeing Eric Reid 2x every year, largely because I'd hoped we'd draft him
    4. I think while most of us will focus on Tavon Austin's contribution, Alec Ogletree has me really excited
    5. I look forward to hopefully seeing the emergence of Michael Brockers as an elite DT in 2013
    6. Any apology notes about J. Fisher and L. Snead should have been sent already

Good post and much to ponder as we approach training camp and the season.

Go Rams!
    Randart likes this.

shower beers is offline Registered User

The niners may have very well traded up in front of us, predicting we might be after him at 22. The Bengals were also in the market for a safety at 21. It seemed they valued Reid much higher than other safeties projected to be available, and had the luxury of 900 draft picks to move around.

I liked the Michael pick for the hawks. Great value at the pick, and Lynch will probably be out the door in a couple of years, with an expiring contract and being close to 30 at the time.

Mathiew seems like a strange pick for the third round, I agree.

Stoked that we grabbed Jones in the 4th. Seems like he could step in as a group leader in a couple of years.
    Randart likes this.

Randart is offline Registered User

Only item in your list AvR we disagree on is item 17...
    As you know I am a huge fan of the safety's both Reid and Tyrann, also I think as was pointed out already that Michael will be good for the Hawks to our detriment! lol
    Now them Hawks got a two headed monster at RB...

I saw a great spot on the Network on Tyrann, great points were made about him. His size and strength may not be able to hold up if he has to make initial hits. As only safety anyone could remember near his size was Bob Sanders a fine player but he broke down alot. And he was bigger than Tyrann. The Honey Badger should definately imploy the Deion Sanders rule when he sees a big guy coming his way... take him low and if he misses, wellp that ain't what they pay me for! Deion always made me laugh when he said that but it was truth!

Now as to Reid being worthy of the 22nd pick and trading up for him, I think he may turn out to be the best safety in this draft. If that turns out to be true then yeah we may see him really excell in the league! Time will tell as with all the guys in the draft. If he plays as I expect him to will be hard to watch him make plays on us twice a year... I hope TJ makes me forget him! Go Rams-

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

1. I think Ogletree and McDonald were great adds for the reasons stated, but are counter punches to Kaper, Wilson and those busted rushes we saw last year (namely Peterson). This will be a tougher defense in that regard.

2. I think Reid's impact for the ***** will be somewhat mitigated by the SAK that the Rams will be deploying. If he's not what he is billed to be, he is going to be exposed relatively quickly against the Rams, for the reasons stated in the OP.
    Semper Fi!

Rambos is offline Registered User

Good stuff Av

The Rams FO makes me believe that it's only a matter of time before we are playing for a championship. But the best part is once we are back at the top of the pack this FO will not implode due to ego and power trips. When you watch Les and Fisher during the draft they seem to really enjoy the process, they seem to be in control of it. The Rams FO is now one of the best at getting what they want out of the draft not whats left over to pick through.

The last move they made in the draft may be the best move. Packaging two six rounders and moving up to get what they wanted, Stacy and not settling for what's left over.

Before Les and Fisher the UDFA market was not even being used by the Rams, they would let $5000 prevent them from signing the best players available. Considering 18% of the NFL is made up of UDFA that's not smart business. Sammy Brown,Matt Conrath,Matt Daniels,Austin Davis,Johnny Hekker,Rodney McLeod made the team last year and one had a big impact. This year the role of some of these players will be bigger. Looking over this year list makes me get excited for players like Ray-Ray Armstrong,Cody Davis and Robert Steeples just to name few.

I like reading after the draft what the Rams really thought of players and the process. Once again the Rams had a special operation. Not letting out the fact that they worked out Stedman Bailey when they worked out Austin. The huge smoke screen they put up with DeAndre Hopkins. The Rams really had no interest in Cordarrelle Patterson they thought he was to raw. Weeks before the draft they knew they would trade back with Les's old team. I'm looking forward to read SI as Peter King was in the war room.
    Last edited by Rambos; -05-02-2013 at 03:23 PM.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    3. I am really pumped about the possibilities for the Rams special teams. With Legatron, a top punter, guys like Brandon McGee on coverage, and Austin returning kicks... the special teams may win us a game or two.
    Don't forget about Robert Quinn and Alec Olgetree teaming up to block punts!
    Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Av, all very good thoughts and I agree with all of them. Several points I would add:
    5. I look forward to hopefully seeing the emergence of Michael Brockers as an elite DT in 2013
    Go Rams!
    I agree with this one. Brockers has all the intangibles to make huge steps this season.

diehard99 is offline Registered User

Mathieu in the 3rd rd. is a way better pick than Mcdonald in the 3rd rd. Mcdonald will need alot of coaching for sure--somewhat of a reach pick to me. He does look the part with good height and speed for a safety, but he looks hesitant when he sets up to make a takle and guesses wrong when picking a gap to fill. To me, he might be a better ss than fs. I wonder if this pick is a USC thing and not a strickly talent based pick. Out of all our picks this one is my least favorite. He does look like a good special teams player though.

general counsel is offline Registered User

While i have been a huge supporter of fisher and snead from day one, and remain even more so, the real critical point in turning this franchise around was the decision by Stan Kroenke to exercise his right of first refusal and buy the controlling interest in the Rams. As we always say in business, it starts at the top.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by diehard99 View Post
    Mathieu in the 3rd rd. is a way better pick than Mcdonald in the 3rd rd. Mcdonald will need alot of coaching for sure--somewhat of a reach pick to me. He does look the part with good height and speed for a safety, but he looks hesitant when he sets up to make a takle and guesses wrong when picking a gap to fill. To me, he might be a better ss than fs. I wonder if this pick is a USC thing and not a strickly talent based pick. Out of all our picks this one is my least favorite. He does look like a good special teams player though.
    So you'd rather have a DB who is 5'9, 186, hasn't played football in over a year, and has a history of drug use?

To each their own, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    While i have been a huge supporter of fisher and snead from day one, and remain even more so, the real critical point in turning this franchise around was the decision by Stan Kroenke to exercise his right of first refusal and buy the controlling interest in the Rams. As we always say in business, it starts at the top.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    No doubt. Kroenke runs the team like a business. He finds the right people, gives them the necessary resources, and lets them do their thing. He is very much like Robert Kraft in that respect.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

On the topic of McDonald-

Though i am still not sold on the pick, who am i to question it? This is Fishers pick pure and simple and i trust that his judgement is better than mine when evaluating talent. Im not a former DB with an NFL career and a SB ring.

Until Fisher proves me wrong i will put my trust in him over mine or anyone else when it comes to a draftee or NFL player in general.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Kroenke is no where near the War room on draft day. That tells me all I need to know.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

20. How long until opening day?
    Way too long

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    On the topic of McDonald-

Though i am still not sold on the pick, who am i to question it? This is Fishers pick pure and simple and i trust that his judgement is better than mine when evaluating talent. Im not a former DB with an NFL career and a SB ring.

Until Fisher proves me wrong i will put my trust in him over mine or anyone else when it comes to a draftee or NFL player in general.
    Although it was many years ago, Jeff Fisher was a safety from USC in his playing days. Not that that means TJ McDonald will be great, I just enjoy the irony. There is also the connection Jeff had with TJ's Dad, coaching him as a safety with the *****. All this means Jeff is human like the rest of us and subject to the same biases and preferences. Makes him a better coach in my eyes because he relates to people and that is the first step in being a good coach.

Go Rams!