AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

20 Random Early-Offseason Thoughts

Here's what's bouncing around in my noggin' these days.
    1. I'm starting to notice a "deconstruction of Sam Bradford" trend in the cyberworld. Seems like there are some who feel the need to downplay his rookie season and question his future. I suspect we'll see more of this as the offseason continues.
    2. I'm proud of the Clan's efforts to start the "Get Rid of the Red" movement. If you are on Facebook, you should really join our "Rams Need Blue Seats in the EJD" group.
    3. The PD has an article up about how the Rams need the CBA issue resolved so they can progress this offseason. Isn't that pretty much true for the vast majority of the teams in the NFL?
    4. People often talk about London Fletcher as the "defender that got away." I think Ryan Pickett belongs in that discussion too.
    5. Does thinking that Leonard Hankerson is the the best Round 2 option (if he lasts) at WR make me a Miami homer?
    6. I'd love to ask Billy Devaney if the Rams passed on LeGarrette Blount because of his perceived ability, or because of "Four Pillars" profile. Which reason would be worse?
    7. At the same time, guys like Albert Haynesworth make me SO HAPPY that "Four Pillars" is part of the Rams' philosophy.
    8. The biggest potenial "Four Pillars" dilemma in the draft: Jonathan Baldwin.
    9. Is there any starter from last year who could be on the chopping block? Some might say Adam Goldberg would be (i.e. the Rams might not re-sign him). My darkhorse candidate is Josh Brown. I wouldn't be opposed to taking a kicker late in the draft and seeing of Brown's production (which has declined) could be duplicated at a substantially lower price.
    10. I don't know what to think of Danny Amendola. Part of me sees him as a "never doubt this guy" kind of player. The other part of me says "what you've seen is the best you're going to get."
    11. If Torry Holt decides to retire, would the Rams bring him back for an Isaac Bruce-type sendoff. I'm betting the answer is no.
    12. I don't know if Cam Newton will be able to succeed in the NFL but, if its all the same to you, I'd rather he end up in someone else's division.
    13. The day after last year's draft, I was kind of bummed that the Rams lost out on Jahvid Best and ended up with Rodger Saffold instead. Feel free to remind me of that fact if I act like too much of a know-it-all about this year's draft.
    14. I have nothing in particular against the Steelers, but I am really glad I didn't have to watch Ben Roethlisberger celebrate a Championship.
    15. I picked the Packers to win it all before the start of last season.
    16. Of course, before the playoffs began, I switched to picking the Falcons.
    17. I don't think enough of you have thanked/complimented Dez enough for the great job he did updating this site.
    18. What will be the Big Debate of this offseason? SLOP is a distant memory. Bulger is gone. The ownership issue is resolved. There is unlikely to be a draft debate that rivals Suh vs. Bradford. What will be the hot button issue this year?
    19. Tim Tebow. I don't have a comment about him, but in my experience, just mentioning his name guarantees that there will be a heated discussion.
    20. Michael Vick (See Tim Tebow comment).

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Re: 20 Random Early-Offseason Thoughts

Hey Av

Well you touched on some of the thoughts I've been thinking about #'s 4,5,10.
    What about #1 & #8. I thought Bradford did a great job for a rookie learning the WCO. I think he would of even did better if he started out learning the spread O insted of the WCO. He played the spread in college.

Have you heard anything bad about WR , J. Baldwin from Pitt. I've only heard great things about him.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

4. Maybe, but not to the same degree. Pickett made a lot of tackles for a DT, but frankly he never had the impact Fred Robbins has had on our defense this year. He never had the impact London Fletcher had on our defense. We were soft up the middle before we drafted Pickett, we didn't get much better when he was playing for us, and we didn't get much worse when he left. I always saw him as a guy who might have been part of the solution if he were surrounded by better talent, and that's still largely how I see him.

6. That somewhat depends on whether he serves time on assault charges any time within the next few years. If I was in the position to make personnel decisions, his draft value could have swung a lot based on the staff's impression of him in interviews.

9. Laurent Robinson comes to mind. I'd kind of like an upgrade at RG, but I wouldn't want to cut Goldberg outright. He'd be great to keep on as a back-up capable of playing multiple positions along the line.

11. I agree. I always liked Holt as a player. I appreciated that we could have elite receivers who were also so well-spoken and down-to-earth, but the way Holt left wasn't as emotional as seeing Bruce go. Bruce was Mr. Ram; Holt was the guy who might prefer to end his career in Carolina.

14. Amen to that. In general, I like how the Steelers do business, but I had no desire to hear any more of the media fawning over his return. Besides, "and one for my pinkie toe" doesn't have quite the same ring to it as "one for the thumb". At least the Pack hadn't won anything too recently.

15. A lot of people picked the Packers to win it all at the beginning of the season. Good quarterback, veteran receivers, stingy defense. Back when they had a healthy Ryan Grant, their running game looked pretty decent, too.

17. Thanks, Dez. Very nice upgrades. The stadium in the background is a nice touch.

18. Good question. The labor dispute will probably draw a fair amount of debate, but that's not a Rams-specific issue.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

1. I haven't really noticed it, but I don't have as much time to peruse the cyberworld as I used to.

2. Agreed!

3. Agreed again, seems like a silly argument on their part.

4. Yes indeed, and I believe GC deserves credit for saying this since it happened. As I recall, the contract proposal difference between the two sides wasn't very huge either.

5. Not anymore!

6. First would be worse because it'd reflect poorly on their ability to accurately gauge talent.

7. Agreed, though I suspect he'd be pretty solid in Spags' defense.

8. Could be. The skill is there, but I question the effort/work ethic. Calling out your coaching staff and accusing them of sabotaging your draft status isn't a good thing, either.

9. You'd have a solid argument there; Brown had a rough start to the season. Goldberg is a good answer, either of the starters at OLB perhaps. Maybe Gary Gibson at DT or Daniel Fells at TE.

10. Agreed. I think he's a solid slot receiver in this league, but I'd love to see McDaniels turn him into the next Wes Welker.

11. I kind of doubt it as well.

12. On the flip side, how would you feel about Ryan Mallett entering the NFC West? I can't say I'd be too scared.

13. Same for me as well. Ultimately we are all just amateurs at this, and the truth of the matter is it's going to take years before we can really determine how some of these guys turned out. We seem to have gotten some pretty darn good ones, though!

14. I do have something against the Steelers, and I share your happiness.

15. Well done!

16. D'oh!

17. It looks fantastic, clearly the best Rams site on the 'net!

18. I thought it was the red seats!

19. He's a hot-button topic, that's for sure. He put up decent numbers in the limited time he played, so it'll be interesting to see where he goes from here. I'm also interested to see how Colt McCoy does under Pat Shurmur in Cleveland.

20. I'm happy that he's been able to take advantage of his second chance, but I'm also happy it was with someone other than the Rams. Fire away!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    12. On the flip side, how would you feel about Ryan Mallett entering the NFC West? I can't say I'd be too scared.
    Agreed. I'd probably say the same about Jake Locker.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Is there any starter from last year who could be on the chopping block? Some might say Adam Goldberg would be (i.e. the Rams might not re-sign him). My darkhorse candidate is Josh Brown. I wouldn't be opposed to taking a kicker late in the draft and seeing of Brown's production (which has declined) could be duplicated at a substantially lower price.
    Got to say I strongly disagree here. If Brown was cut I think there'd be many teams willing to pay for him. Drafting kickers in the draft is such a crap shoot (more so than the drafting of other positions), so many teams have failed to get a good kicker from the draft and just continue to let different veterans kick every season.

I don't think his play is declining at all. He missed 6 FGs this season (having missed 5 in both previous seasons with the Rams) but he had attempted a career high 39 field goals - his FG percentage was the third best of his career. I think it's rare to have kicker in the league who is both accurate and capable of kicking 50+ yard FGs.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    Got to say I strongly disagree here. If Brown was cut I think there'd be many teams willing to pay for him. Drafting kickers in the draft is such a crap shoot (more so than the drafting of other positions), so many teams have failed to get a good kicker from the draft and just continue to let different veterans kick every season.
    I agree. Considering how little the average kicker makes, I don't think this should be a position targeted for savings--especially for a team that has had trouble converting TD opportunities in the red zone.

I wouldn't simply cut him. I would consider drafting a kicker and letting them compete for the job.

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

Is it possible we can convert Donnie Jones into FG/kickoff kicker? (assuming we're giving up on Josh Brown)

general counsel is offline Registered User

Good post Av. Thanks, however, for touching the raw nerve on Big Grease. As many old timers on the board will recall, i have been screaming bloody murder about letting Pickett go since the day it happened. Absolutely moronic decision, especially given his age, production at the time, and fact that he did not command huge free agent money.

I have to disagree on Josh Brown. He may have declined a bit, but i think he is still way above average (especially at long distance) and i see no reason to take on mass uncertainty of a rookie kicker (remember the reggie hodges debacle when we tried to save money getting rid of mitch berger) to save a few bucks. I think our kicking game is one of our real strengths.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by General Counsel View Post
    Good post Av. Thanks, however, for touching the raw nerve on Big Grease. As many old timers on the board will recall, I have been screaming bloody murder about letting Pickett go since the day it happened. Absolutely moronic decision, especially given his age, production at the time, and fact that he did not command huge free agent money.

I have to disagree on Josh Brown. He may have declined a bit, but i think he is still way above average (especially at long distance) and i see no reason to take on mass uncertainty of a rookie kicker (remember the reggie hodges debacle when we tried to save money getting rid of mitch berger) to save a few bucks. I think our kicking game is one of our real strengths.

Ramming speed to all

General Counsel
    Have to agree on both the Pickett and Brown observations. I don't think JB will be let go, no.

Great to see you GC!