Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

20 Random Offseason Thoughts...

A few things bouncing around my head today...
    1. I'm sorry to see the end of the Holt years, but I have no ill will towards him. I hope he ends up somewhere where he can end his career in style and secure his HOF status (even if its in Dallas, which I suspect is a likely place for him).
    2. Michael Crabtree is the ultimate Wild Card in this draft. If Curry goes No. 1 to Detroit, I think there is a chance that the Rams will pull the trigger on him, notwithstanding his lack of offseason workouts.
    3. If, on the other hand, the Rams go with an OT, the O line could turn around very quickly. Two additions (Jason Brown and Monroe/J.Smith) could make a HUGE difference.
    4. Is there a more "forgotten man" than Brian Leonard? I really think he needs to become a full-time backup RB and drop the whole FB thing. In that role, he could be an asset.
    5. I hate to jump the gun on things, but I really am getting a good "vibe" from the Spagnuolo/Devaney/Demoff team.
    6. Nick_Weasel had a very good observation about the Rams becoming a younger team with the changes made this offseason. That is a key to rebuilding that is often overlooked.
    7. Two-part prediction: (i) someone will sign Richie Incognito to an offer sheet, and (ii) the Rams won't match.
    8. I need to research whether Pace has a March bonus that would impact his status on the team. Does anyone know the answer? My opinion remains that Pace should be kept for one more year.
    9. A name I'll be watching closely on Draft Day if the Rams don't take Crabtree: Darrius Heyward-Bey. It would probably require a trade up from the second round, but he's a guy who has amazing tools.
    10. Still have my eye on B.J. Raji as a possible first round pick.
    11. I can't emphasize how much I DON'T want T.O.
    12. I predict that Atogwe will sign a long term deal rather than playing for the franchise tender. Or maybe I just hope that happens.
    13. This is Alex Barron's contract year. Will that motivate him to play to his abilities? (nothing else has)
    14. I wish John Greco had been given more opportunities to play last year.
    15. I hope I get to see a game at the new, improved EJD this year.
    16. If not, I hope I can make it to Jacksonville for the Jaguars game.
    17. This just in: the Rams are still not moving back to Los Angeles.
    18. Is it me, or are the Seahawks a franchise that seems to be headed in the wrong direction?
    19. When are the draft magazines going to hit the newstands?
    20. Yes, I am a draftnick. You got a problem with that!?!?!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: 20 Random Offseason Thoughts...

Av,

Lots of great thoughts.

#4 jumps out at me. I couldn't agree more. Leonard has been like a ghost recently.

rams_fan_4_life is offline Registered User

I aswell cant emphasize on how bad i dont want T.O. in a rams uniform..With this holt situation im hoping we can get something out of it ..maybe a trade to arizona for Bouldin{i know its a long shot but who knows} maybe the giants let Plax go and the rams find a way to pick him up{another long shot}...with the rams on my mind 24/7 there are a bunch of things that go on in my head as little as ..when are the rams going to go with the throwbacks from the 90's?..To when the HELL is Alex Barron going to get some ear plugs so he dont jump offsides 10 times a game...AV love reading your stuff even though i dont agree with some of your thinking i look forward to seeing your post every day...thanks for being a loyal ram fan where im from in california alot of people turned there back on us when the skipped town...love them to death even have a couple broken TV's due to the rams but hey you know the saying "love hurts"

rams fan 4 life

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

I would prefer if TO wasn't in the NFL!
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

I agree on most parts. I think #7 (regarding Incognito) is a bold prediction, though if somebody does sign him I doubt the Rams would match. If he did depart, that would probably solve #14 (Greco not getting much playing time).

Also, thank you for the compliment!

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Ton of good thoughts right there AvengerRam. But I think its just you for number 18 though, lol. I don't think Seattle is headed in the wrong direction. They've got a hell of a receiving corps with Housh, Engram Branch, and Burleson. They've got a pretty good opportunistic yet undersized defense and they still have a former pro bowl quarterback and a good running back. Now as far as the headcoach is concerned I still wonder whethere Jim Mora is the right man for the job, but other than that, unless I missed something, I dont see how they are headed in the wrong direction.

As far as Holt is concerned, if he wants out of STL, SO BE IT! Go so we can move on as a franchise and make more business decisions. AND DEFINITELY we dont want T.O. He is a distraction off the field.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Very good post AV, as usual. Your #2 point concerns me as I really hope we don't spend our 1st round pick on Michael Crabtree. I have been on the Aaron Curry bandwagon for some time and still am, although Jason Smith wouldn't be an awful option either (#3) on your list. Curry strikes me as that type of player who comes along rarely and when you have the chance you must take him. He is an enormously talented player and his combine results are evidence of what he will translate to at the next level. Beyond that he is a leader and our defense will prosper for many years under his leadership. Witness Ray Lewis in Baltimore as an example. He will also add fan excitement which will put fannies in seats at the EJ Dome, of course Crabtree would do that too.

There are many other receivers in this draft which is deep at this position. So yes, I agree getting Heywood-Bey would be great get. So would Hakeem Nicks if H-B isn't there in round 2.

If we do take Curry in round 1 we may have to go OT in round 2 and Jamon Meredith from SC has peaked my interest lately. Is he a worthy pick in round 2? Is he an injury risk? Another option, is signing Tre Thomas from Philly as a stop-gap for 1-2 years until we secure a longer term solution. Maybe we can cut a deal with Philly involving Torry Holt although since they are both FA's (Torry TBD) that may not be impossible.

I've rambled here, but I did enjoy reading your post. Much to look forward to with our new FO regime and coaching staff, I'm very enthusiastic.

Go Rams!

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Av,

Lots of great thoughts.

#4 jumps out at me. I couldn't agree more. Leonard has been like a ghost recently.
    He was hurt the whole year sir..

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    He was hurt the whole year sir..
    Yes, we know that. The point is, here's a guy who was a second round pick just two years ago, and yet you rarely hear anyone talk about him playing even a minor role on the team this year.

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    10. Still have my eye on B.J. Raji as a possible first round pick.
    Raji has moved up draft boards lately, in his latest mock, Jamie Dukes and Steve Wyche both have him going 4th overall to Seattle. Charles Davis has im going to the Broncos at 12. Mike Mayock has him listed as his 11th overall prospect in the draft.

Raji was an absolute monster at the senior bowl and teams have noticed. It shouldn't be surprising if he ends up in the top 10 ala Sedrick Ellis in '08.
    Last edited by smizzhfx; -03-05-2009 at 07:19 PM.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

1.HOLT: Another messy end to a great Ram career. DeSpags seem to understand the value of grabbing FAs on the upswing.Let's hope they don't hold onto stars too long on the downswing in future. I wonder where we'd be if we'd kept Curtis & traded Bruce pre-Drew.Would Holt have been more productive/happier as he seemed to be when Avery started to attract attention from defenses in the latter half of last season?
    Sadly, we'll never know.

2. I think Raji is the wild card. If there's any truth to the rumors that Dorsey was only nipped at the post by Long for our first pick last year,how can DT not still be a concern to the braintrust? Ryan's ok, Glover's production dropped off...

3. I'm in the "OT first" camp but ,given his Avery pick against the draftnik grain last year,maybe Devaney finds an OT answer in Rd2. There's isn't enough naan in the country to clean up all the exploding Curryheads if we take him,though.

4.BRIAN LEONARD FORGOTTEN? Or a more misused player? I like BL & Darby for SJ's back-ups this season. Both have good hands & good on those screens & swing passes. We need that FB from somewhere more than another RB in the draft,imo.

5.THE BRAINTRUST: A good start,for sure.Bartell was a biggie,imo.

6. Ageists SOBs! I'm 45;I sneezed the other day & threw out my back for a week....seriously. I do hope we find a decent vet or two with more upside than, say, Looker or Fakhir to help their respective units.

7. Further prediction: 3 yrs from now, Bilbo Coggins The Giant Hobbit makes his pro wrestling debut.

And on that high note, I'm off for a nap. I'm old; leave me alone.

PARamfan is offline Registered User

I also like the "vibe" from our FO and head coach.The story about Spags' conversation with Bartell turning around those negotiations is one we will remember when this team arrives at greatness once again.

zingers16 is offline Registered User

If I could add #21...The Rams will not sign an old receiver...no TO, no Harrison, don't know how old Burress is but no.

Aussie Dave is offline Registered User

i really hope we dont draft crabtree.
    billy and spags have stated many times we are going to be power running team, please dont waste your top pick on a wideout. the o line has been trash for years, lets finally fix it and ride the #39 train into wild card weekend.

rampower is offline Registered User

I'm not sure about th holt situation, only lt him go if we have a replacement in mind.

One more thought.

I'd like to see boldin leave the cards.
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast