Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 20 Random Post-12 Games Thoughts

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

20 Random Post-12 Games Thoughts

1. The record is respectable, but I don't know if it truly shows how much this team has improved.

2. If there was a "tournament bid" based upon divisional dominance, the Rams would be in the dance! (4-0-1 in the NFC West)

3. Janoris Jenkins is building a very nice highlight reel.

4. Man, we need better safeties.

5. While Long and Quinn have been in a sack slump, the pass rush has remained fairly steady in the past two weeks. William Hayes now has 4 sacks which, added to Quinn's 8.5 and Long's 7 gives the Rams a nice total from their top 3 DEs.

6. Chris Givens: 33 receptions, 559 yards, 3 TDs. Justin Blackmon, 39 receptions, 557 yards, 3 TDs. Anyone see that one coming?

7. Jo-Lon Dunbar is, somewhat quietly, having a very nice season (80 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 1 interception, 4 passes defended, 1 forced fumble). I think the Rams are set at 2 of the three starting LB spots for next year.

8. While some people have complained about Schott's play-calling, you can't overlook the way he's managed to protect Sam Bradford with a sometimes patchwork OL.

9. Sam's runs on the final drive of regulation were great to see.

10. Greg Zeurlein deserved his first walk-off FG.

11. Those throwbacks really look great.

12. Steven Jackson (despite a late drop) did a great job contributing as a receiver on a day when the running lanes just weren't there.

13. There is no question in my mind that the 2013 "X-factor" will be Brian Quick. He's not there yet, but if he can emerge next year..

14. It was nice to see Isaiah Pead getting a role, and he and Sam just missed hooking up on a long pass. I'd like to see more of that.

15. In a post-game ESPN Radio interview, SJax was asked if he'll be a Ram next year. His initial answer (before giving a PC "we'll explore all options" response): "I'll always be a Ram." We feel that way too, Steve.

16. Michael Brockers is just scratching the surface, in my opinion. Remember... he's not even 22 yet.

17. The draft scout in me says that this is a bad year to be a team that really needs a QB. That's right... I'm talking to you, Arizona.

18. The National Championship game will feature several players I wouldn't mind seeing in a Rams uniform, including Notre Dame's Manti Te'o and Tyler Eifert, and Alabama's Chance Warmack, D.J. Fluker and Barrett Jones.

19. Most of us are Danny Amendola fans, but the business side of the Rams' organization is going to have a tough decision to make with him.

20. Did I mention how much I like the throwbacks?
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -12-03-2012 at 06:13 PM.
    thoey, Rambos, laram0 and 2 others like this.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: 20 Random Post-12 Games Thoughts

Hate to say it, but I think Danny injured himself out of town this year. He's a hell of a player, and maybe if Quick comes on and we can keep Danny to only being the slot receiver, we could keep him. Unfortunately, to devote the salary he's likely to ask(since he's so explosive when healthy) for maybe a part time player, I don't know if we'll do it. Pettis, or a really good slot guy rookie in the middle rounds, or a cheap vet could get the job done as well. It's going to be tough...

Just sayin, I'd rather keep Jax next year than Amendola.
    AvengerRam and Richbert88 like this.
    I believe!

Jockelite is offline Registered User

You forgot about the throwbacks...
    AvengerRam likes this.

shower beers is offline Registered User

One of my observations from yesterday is Austin Pettis as a punt returner. Is he back there because we have no one else? The guy has no acceleration or burst to get going, and rarely makes a return worth mentioning. The only benefit he seemingly brings to the table is his ability to get hit hard by gunners, and hold on to the ball.

Anyone else notice this or am I crazy here?

fearsome foursome is online now Registered User

Nice thread AV. Pettis must think that sideways yards count, he dances a lot without getting upfield. I think that Amendola is just getting more affordable.

macrammer is online now Registered User

Good points......my favorite is number 9. To me, that was paramount to the victory.....and good to see Sam take what the defense is giving him......plus HE KNOWS TO SLIDE

I would respectfuly add 21

Givens hip catch on winning drive on 3rd and 3.....

jmk321 is offline Registered User

I really liked that playcall for Pead. Its too bad that it didn't work.

I also think the Rams can resign Danny for pretty cheap this off season because not many teams are going to shell out a lot of money for an injury prone slot receiver. I would be genuinely surprised if he got a big contract offer from anyone.
    Haste likes this.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

I'm sure Danny will be re-signed cheap but if we plan on doing so in the long run, we better keep him strictly in the slot. He's been getting injured playing outside. Hopefully we'll get Keenan Allen during the offseason to complement Amendola and Givens.
    Rambos likes this.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Good stuff Av

8. While some people have complained about Schott's play-calling, you can't overlook the way he's managed to protect Sam Bradford with a sometimes patchwork OL.
    He has lost me. That's twice i have seen him take SJax out of the game on the goal line. He goes with Pead, goes empty and we all know it's a pass play. I just don't get. Take your best player off the field for a less then part time rookie. I know it was like running into a brick wall yesterday, I get that, But you would think having SJax on the field the 9ers would have to respect the possibility of a run. Against the Jets is where it started for me, 6.2 per touch and he goes away from him... I don't get it.

We called a time out late in the game, Fisher had to change the play from a pass play to a run. He did not want to leave any time on the clock if GZ missed the FG. I did not catch that until Fisher brought it up in his presser. I don't know about Shotty, I'm just not sure.

Until I see us doing much better in the red zone he lost me.
    Last edited by Rambos; -12-03-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Richbert88 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    19. Most of us are Danny Amendola fans, but the business side of the Rams' organization is going to have a tough decision to make with him.
    Sadly I agree. The emergence of Givens and the fact that the Rams can more afford to loose Danny as opposed to SJ#39 make me think this also. The offense simply, absolutely, needs SJ#39, without him and the eight men in the box on DEF, the going would be much tougher for the WRs.

I hope DA comes back and at a reasonable salary. I want to see both DA and Givens on the field healthy at the same time.
    Semper Fi!

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    5. While Long and Quinn have been in a sack slump, the pass rush has remained fairly steady in the past two weeks. William Hayes now has 4 sacks which, added to Quinn's 8.5 and Long's 7 gives the Rams a nice total from their top 3 DEs.
    I think one of the most under appreciated Rams is Eugene Sims, that guy has a high motor and pretty much plays anywhere along the D line.

With respect to Amendola, I'd be hugely surprised if a deal doesn't get done. Although I think it will be along the lines of a 3 year deal

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Very good observations, many of which I agree with.

Amendola should be kept. When you have a proven player who is a key to the offense- and a guy who is beloved by its fan base, you keep him- even if it means giving a little more than you may want to financially. The Rams don't have an overpriced roster; they should be able to willingly afford a guy who means as much to this team as Danny Amendola, injuries and all. In case anyone didn't notice in all the warm fuzzy emotions from yesterday our offense still sucks. Unloading Amendola- the one bonafide guy we have at the receiver position- in the hopes that Quick, Pead and others will pick up the slack is foolish, in my opinion. And I won't be a happy camper if they do this.

Although there is merit in the decisions to cut bait with Danario Alexander and Donnie Avery, you'll note both are excelling with their current teams. Giving up on Amendola would be tough for me to take as a fan, especially when he goes elsewhere and proves to be an excellent player.

Blackmon's comparable production to Givens is the byproduct of playing on a crap team with a lousy QB in Jacksonville. That said, I am very happy at Givens' production and steady improvement this season. We desperately need some people to step up at the receiver position, and it's great Givens appears to be a keeper.

And I've long stated the Rams throwbacks should have NEVER been changed to their current scheme. Long live the royal and yellow.
    Rambos, mde8352gorams and ZiaRam like this.

thoey is offline Registered User

Good post Av... I'll add:

- Does anyone else get a weird feeling seeing someone else wearing the number 13 jersey?
    - Maybe GZ had a little too much pressure put on him after his great start of the season. Too many "greatest kicker ever" type comments and nicknames. Glad to see he has settled down and started putting them back through.
    - God, I love those Blue and Yellow jerseys...
    This space for rent...

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I must say I agree with all of your random thoughts. A few of my own were that yesterday's game offered a few accomplishments that we haven't seen for a while. To begin, this was a 4th qtr. comeback victory over a winning team; there were zero turnovers for us in this game where even 1 could have been calamitous, just ask SF; Chris Givens is more than just a long bomb threat; Lance Kendricks is becoming more of the offense; we can win with Danny Amendola out of the line-up; Jeff Fisher's gutty determination is making an impression on this team and we can win with this defense, even the when offense has an off-day. I looooove the old uniforms, many good memories with them.

Your C. Givens v J. Blackmon comparison is very interesting and thought provoking. Your assessment of Brian Quick is spot-on, he will have a nice break-out year in 2013. We may have gained some bargaining power with Danny Amendola (see reference above). As for SJax, we need to find a $ amount that is worthwhile for us under the cap, without being insulting to him. I feel confident we will, he doesn't want to go anywhere else, that is obvious to me. Yes Dunbar is having a very nice season and we do have 2 of the 3 LB spots settled for next year. That leads to my adding CJ Mosely to your list of Alabama players worth watching in the national title game. Incidentally, you'll need to watch the Rose Bowl as well to see Zach Ertz (Stanford) as well as Tyler Eifert (Notre Dame). Confusing, I know. I want to watch it to see Ricky Wagner the OT for Wisconsin in addition to Ertz.

Again, great post and I agree, we have lots to look forward to as Ram fans. As I have been saying, I plan to enjoy what's left of this season too.

Go Rams!
    Last edited by mde8352gorams; -12-03-2012 at 06:13 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post
    Does anyone else get a weird feeling seeing someone else wearing the number 13 jersey?
    I think it would bother me a lot more if it were another QB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast