Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By AvengerRam

Thread: 20 Random Post-Bear Game Thoughts

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

20 Random Post-Bear Game Thoughts

1. I sure do like wins.

2. Let's get this out of the way. The Rams are not playing better because of Kellen Clemens. However, Clemens is doing a commendable job in his role as backup QB.

3. Does Clemens' play eliminate the desire/need to draft a developmental QB? At this point, I'd still say "no."

4. Benny Cunningham, on the other hand (20 carries, 181 yards in past two games) is making me think that backup RB is not a draft priority.

5. Jared Cook had a very good outing yesterday. I still like that signing.

6. Rodger Saffold has suddenly emerged as a viable long-term option at OG. Will he accept that role, along with a reasonable FA contract, or will he try to sell himself as a starting OT?

7. The penalty on Brockers' sack was absurd.

8. Loved the design of the play on Tavon Austin's TD. There are probably no more than a half a dozen players in the NFL who could successfully run that bootleg reverse (that's what I'm calling it).

9. There was a time not too long ago that Jeff Fisher proclaimed that the Rams are a running team, and people laughed. Not hearing much laughter now on that one.

10. Robert Quinn is a beast.

11. James Laurinaitis is really filling up the stat sheet this year (82 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 interceptions, 8 passes defended, 2 fumble recoveries).

12. Alec Ogletree leads all rookies with 64 solo tackles, and also has 9 passes defended, 1 interception, and 3 forced fumbles.

13. The Rams now have the second (Zac Stacy: 624 yards), and 8th (Benny Cunningham: 238 yards) leading rushers among rookies.

14. Some people have criticized Jake Long this year. Seems to me he is doing a very good job lately, particularly when it comes to run blocking.

15. The run defense started poorly yesterday, but came around nicely.

16. Brandon McGee - who taught you that "grab the jersey" technique?

17. Let's hope the concussions (Stacy, Johnson, Williams) suffered this week are minor.

18. I feel a bit more sympathy towards Cortland Finnegan now that I know he was suffering from an orbital fracture since Game 4, but I still think he needs to restructure his contract if he wants to return next year.

19. Chris 1, Kyle 0.

20. I wonder if Tavon Austin can throw. I ask this because, we could really fool an opposing team on an end-around option pass now that defenses are (I presume) starting to worry about Austin. Just a thought.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -11-25-2013 at 01:46 PM.
    RealRam, Tampa_Ram, Trevor and 1 others like this.

SWFCRAM is online now Registered User

Re: 20 Random Post-Bear Game Thoughts

Kind of hard to argue with any of that Av, (except number 19 you meant Kyle, not Jake).

Cunningham’s play has certainly turned heads, my only worry with him now is a possible fumbling issue.

Ogletree’s contribution this year to date has been superb. He looks to have quite a future ahead of him.

You’re so right about Finnegan, his play in the first three games before his eye injury was extremely worrying and I would have liked to have seen him fit for the rest of the season just for a better assessment.

If I have one major wish for the rest of the year (other than the playoffs) it’s that Robert Quinn manages to fight his way to be the first ever winner of the Deacon Jones award. That would be awesome!

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

15. The run defense started poorly yesterday, but came around nicely.

So, Av, are you saying that you didn't like the strip fumble recovery of the Bears first play? I though the Fantastic Four did an awesome job all game yesterday! I can't see anything wrong with starting the game 14-0 in the first 2 minutes or 21-7 First quarter!

7. The penalty on Brocker's sack was absurd.

Absolutely stupid call. Is every sack in the NFL that is a clean hard hit going to be a rouging the passer call? Are they going to put flags on the QB if we can't tackle them? Reffs kept them in the game on that drive.

And my final thought,,, YOU SHOULD HAVE TAKEN MY OFFER AND COME TO THE GAME! You missed a great one!!!

Go Rams beat the ninnies!!!!!!

shower beers is offline Registered User

TJ seemed to have a nice first game back, making a great stop at the goal line and not getting torched on any big plays. Didn't appear to have any setbacks either.

Ogletree is a playmaker, but needs to work on his tackling. I have no doubts he'll get there though.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

4 weeks ago, running back was definitely a high priority for us heading into next year's draft. It is absolutely wonderful to see Stacy and Cunningham emerge over that period of time and make this an uncertainty now. Really nice to see these two step up in a big way.

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

This team is learning how to finish. In spite of the refs trying to keep the Bears in the game, both lines took the game over and simply REFUSED to lose. I think wins like the one yesterday have a resounding impact on young players and I sure hope it carries forward.
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

Randart is offline Registered User

You guys make great points only one I would disagree with at all is... wait for it?
    We do definately need another running back, why you say? One can't have enough good ones,
    once again why you ask? All of our running backs have been hurt this season with multiple injuries.
    Except maybe Peadster who knows what he is going to do or be done with. Not sure how effective
    Richardson will be when healthy either. So that leaves me to believe we need more than two guys who
    as rookies have looked sensational but also have been injured. Would be nice to have another healthy body to fall back on and mix in especially a talented one. Maybe 3rd round or fourth, cause heck we got Zac in the 5th. I have confidence in our coaching, scouting and management group to find the right guy.
    Cause after all they keep doing it!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think that Stacy, Cunningham and a healthy Daryl Richardson could be enough. I could see taking another guy in Rounds 5-7 for depth, but I don't think there's a need to spend a higher pick than that.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think that Stacy, Cunningham and a healthy Daryl Richardson could be enough. I could see taking another guy in Rounds 5-7 for depth, but I don't think there's a need to spend a higher pick than that.
    Maybe I'm stupidly optimistic but I still think Pead can contribute to this team. The coaching staff trusted him enough to deactivate Richardson without him appearing on the injury report and put the ball in his hands on the two point conversion.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Excellent 20.

For the little cherry on the top ... 12. Ogletree scores a 98 yard TD with his INT.

Trevor is offline Registered User

It would be interesting to see how Roger Saffold decides in the offseason. More money in the LT position however, what teams are willing to pick him up and start him is another question.

Jake Long is well worth the signing in my opinion. PFF has him rated as one of the best LT in the league. Yeah he has had some hiccups this season, but so does every elite player. IMO Jake Long is still the elite LT that he was when he was on the dolphins. He has had just as many brain fart moments in his pro bowl years with the dolphins.

I don't see why the Rams need to draft any rb in the draft. The rams have what? 4 very young RBs?

thoey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I don't see why the Rams need to draft any rb in the draft. The rams have what? 4 very young RBs?
    Three. And Pead.
    This space for rent...

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    It would be interesting to see how Roger Saffold decides in the offseason. More money in the LT position however, what teams are willing to pick him up and start him is another question.

Jake Long is well worth the signing in my opinion. PFF has him rated as one of the best LT in the league. Yeah he has had some hiccups this season, but so does every elite player. IMO Jake Long is still the elite LT that he was when he was on the dolphins. He has had just as many brain fart moments in his pro bowl years with the dolphins.

I agree. We are doing very well with what we have. We should train the ones we have for next year.