Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 20 Random Thoughts To Start Off 2012

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

20 Random Thoughts To Start Off 2012

Well, I'm back from my vacation in Costa Rica. Everything is set to change as the Rams look to future. Here's what's on my mind:

1. Spags had to go. He's a good DC, and a good person, but he did not earn the right to hold the HC spot for another year.
    2. Devaney had to go too. While his track record in the draft is not as bad as many think, his frequent reaches for "diamonds in the rough" rookies and "bargain basement" FAs could no longer be tolerated.
    3. I've been on the Jeff Fisher bandwagon for a while, and see no reason not to continue to ride it.
    4. The availability of the Polians is intriguing.
    5. Justin Blackmon remains my choice for the Rams' first pick.
    6. Before making the selection, though, I would at least consider trade offers.
    7. If I'm not mistaken, the Rams hold the first pick in the second round (#33 overall). Don't underestimate the value of that selection, particularly given the (approximately) 20 hour time period to make that selection (or listen to trade offers).
    8. I think Chris Long and James Laurinaitis both deserve to be on the Pro Bowl rosters of the NFC.
    9. Steven Jackson is untradeable, but not for the reasons some think. His contract is the obstacle.
    10. If not Jeff Fisher, who? I need to think about that one.
    11. The best part of the housecleaning is that it removes all preconceived notions of this team. Are the Rams a ball-control team or a quick strike team? 4-3 or 3-4? Nobody knows.
    12. On that note, I do think the Rams can transform into a 3-4 defense with a few tweaks.
    13. Silver lining for me... based upon finishing last in the NFC West, the Rams (if I am not mistaken) will play in Miami and Tampa next year (both w/in driving distance of my house)!
    14. Brandon Lloyd: I would not pay more than $15M over 3 years.
    15. The Rams' rehab facility is going to be busy this offseason.
    16. For those who think the book on Sam Bradford has been written, I offer this stat: in his first 28 games (played during 3 seasons), Drew Brees' passer rating was 73.7.
    17. Name the fastest current Ram player. No real "burners" coming to mind? That's one of the biggest problems, if you ask me.
    18. My preseason Super Bowl pick was Falcons vs. Ravens. Still could happen, though I doubt it.
    19. If the Patriots play the Whiners, I may skip the game for the first time in over 35 years.
    20. For those who are down and see the Rams as being stuck in "same old..." mode, let me remind you that this is Stan Kroenke's first real opportunity to fix this team. Let's give him a chance.
    RamDez, jackson3909 and thermobee like this.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Re: 20 Random Thoughts To Start Off 2012

I like number 12 myself. I think both Quinn and Long could play OLB in a 3-4 and generate pretty good pressure.

itsguud is offline Registered User

Great notes AV. I agree with you on a number of points. Few of my own musings:

3. Jeff Fisher Bandwagon - I am not confident in his ability. He was a head coach for many years however his winning percentage does not excite me nor the lack of winning seasons. He is another old school type of coach and I feel maybe it is time the Rams tried new blood... (not Coordinator types) such as a College level HC? It has worked for both the Hawks and whiners.

5. I like Blackmon as well. I believe our WR core has been as much of a problem for this team as any other position. We need a number 1 that can grow with Bradford. IMO Blackmon will be better than AJ Green.

jkramsfan Guest

AV, hope you enjoyed your vacation,lot of good points made and I also like Jeff Fisher for the job,after him not a whole lot to write home about.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Hey, these aren't random... they're all about the NFL and mostly about the Rams!

Great thoughts as always, Av.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Glad to have you back... thought this team finally sent you over the edge.

Jeff Fisher bandwagon I'm on that one as well... Fisher is a head coach at least we don't need to hope he can grow into one. No learning on the job had enough of that.

Justin Blackmon... If RG3 can nab us two first round picks from the Browns and we can get Blackmon I take that.

Brandon Lloyd, I agree... I think he will want way too much... I prefer getting a younger Marques Colston.

Number 20. There is no Cap on what he spends on his head coach go get Fisher!
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-03-2012 at 11:56 AM.

PARamfan is offline Registered User

Yes to Fisher, Yes to Polian, and Yes to Blackmon after we trade down for a couple more picks.
    Blackmon has been spectacular in the Fiesta Bowl!
    39WillRunYaOva likes this.

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

I like alot of those points and i also think that we could switch to a 3-4 with a could adjustments and drafting this season for those kind of players we could make it work.Long and Quinn i think would be monster pass rushers in a 3-4 both have the skill sets especially quinn i see alot of aldon smith in him.Aldon was in a very sack friendly system for his position and he was situational not every down.Long can play every down and i think if quinn puts on a little muscle so he doesnt get ate up as often he could also be a every down 3-4 OLB pass rusher,their coverage skills kind of have me nervous they are more Qb killers so as long as they are there to mostly rush the Qb ill take it.But if you try to convert them into drop back cover OLB consistently then i say keep the 4-3.O yea and justin is a no brainer and if we can trade down to the 4 or 6 pick and get him i would do it also racking up more picks.

MikeD is offline Registered User

Good points AV.

I don't know why, but my gut is saying to pass on Fischer. I can't even form a factual sentence as to why not to hire him, just my gut wants to punch me in the face each time I think about it.
    gap likes this.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

1. While the year was pretty much a complete disaster, the team never quit on Spags, and we have to give him at least that. Did he have to go, probably, as it gives Kronke the ability to make all the changes that he wants as his first moves after controlling the team, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. Interesting is the fact that McDaniels is still on the payroll... the complete Alex Smithing of Sam may not necessarily be happening.
    2. I'm with you on Devaney. Just too many misses and practically no real impressive "wins" as hitting on Long, Jlau, Quinn, Saffold(maybe), Bradford don't really count. Success up high should be a given for a good GM. Fletcher was a rising star before the season(and getting hurt) and Stewart looks like a good SS, but the failures in the middle and late rounds gave us no depth this year.
    3. I continue to say that Fisher's record in the AFC Manning was actually pretty good since he essentially started every year looking at losing one or two division games as a given, and he showed that he had the ability to rebuild a team over the long term. What the Rams need is stability above all, and he can give that if given the time.
    5/6. Justin Blackmon is my pick as well, I just hope beyond hope that RG3 comes out and someone is buying. We either need a very strong FA period for depth, or to sell that #2 pick for it.
    8. "I think Chris Long and James Laurinaitis both deserve to be on the Pro Bowl rosters of the NFC."
    9. Steven Jackson is untradeable, but for the exact reasons that people think. He is the heart and soul of this team, and he wants to stay. Let him.
    11/12. The problem with going to a 3/4 is that while we have 3 out of 4 LB spots locked up(Quinn, Lau, Long), we have 2-3 DL spots that need to get filled. Robbins may be done, and I dunno if he can play a 3-4, Bannan can probably start at one of the DE spots(as he did in Baltimore), but we need to find a big fatty for the nose above everything on D.
    14. Brandon Lloyd: Not happening unless McD stays. If he does, Lloyd will be an easy sign(and I hope it comes true).
    17. Name the fastest current Ram player: Quinn on punt coverage.
    20. I absolutely give Kroenke a chance, and I think that he really was torn about Spags because he saw that the players still were fighting for him, but I think he also saw that Spags was not ready to handle a head coaching job. The fact that McDaniels is still there means that he's looking at this from all angles, and I think we can expect him to take his time finding the best candidate, and probably one whom was a successful head coach. Whether that guy can/will work with McD remains to be seen, but Stan wants to at least try to keep some continuity for Sam.

Addendum: The next few weeks are going to be very interesting for the Rams and I'm interested in seeing how it turns out. I think that we'll see a GM hire before a coach. I expect one who will come from the scouting/talent evaluation ranks and probably hasn't been a GM before. Stan will want a top notch talent evaluator to be able to tell the new coach exactly what he has and what he doesn't, and be able to help draft solid players throughout, but I expect that he'll be under the head coach when it comes to actually picking players and signing free agents. This prediction comes from my expectation that Kroenke will get a Fisher-caliber coach who can run both sides.
    I believe!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I know the fastest guy on the Rams. If we go by 40 yard dash, and counting only 40s since 2000, when the 40 started to be timed electronically, then there is one Rams player who is currently joint 10th with a 40 of 4.31

However, if anything, it's just a case in point that straight line speed doesn't necessarily transfer over to the football field. That's because the guy is CB Justin King.

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

Spot on thoughts. I like the Drew Brees one especially. 17/16 TD/INT ratio in his second year. 11/15 TD/INT in his third. Today he's in the MVP race and breaking records. Its still possible for Bradford to have success after a bad sophomore year.

The Brandon Lloyd situation is tough. He said he would like to stay in St.Louis but on the other hand he would follow McDaniels. It may be a tug of war with him.

bradwill is offline Registered User

I sure can't argue against the DE selections of Allen, Babin and Pierre-Paul because all 3 had fantastic seasons and deserve a PB spot. It's just bad timing for Long that those 3 guys all had amazing seasons.

JL is getting close and a couple of decent bodies at DT would help him make that ascension. He's still bulled around at the point of attack sometimes as the DT's are letting too many OL get right on him immediately. JL's biggest asset is his lateral range and quickness, not brute strength. Urlacher made the PB based mostly on reputation this year and London Fletcher had the better year and got jobbed. Willis as starting MLB is a no-brainer.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

My random thoughts are still on the 2011 season. Disappointed, frustrated, mad, sad, etc...etc...

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Brad, the only reason I'd say that Long should have gone over JPP would be that they both had 13 sacks, but JPP did it on a team that had leads. Chris had 3 sacks in the NO game, but most if not all the rest of the 10 came in games we lost and almost certainly were behind. If Long had been playing with a lead and the run defense wasn't giving up over 150 yards/game on the ground, he would have gotten at least 18 I tell ya.
    SWFCRAM likes this.
    I believe!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast