VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

20 years ago, and it still hurts...

...even more than last year's debacle.

NFL Network had a thing on the '89 ***** last nite, and they showed that Monday nite game where we were up 17-3, and Montana and Taylor combined for two 95 yard TDs.

On the identical play.

A five-yard slant and a 90 yard run.

We lost 30-27.

And naturally, they had to show the NFC title game, where the ***** crushed us 30-3.

Funny enough, I had NEVER seen the infamous "phantom sack' Everett took. It didn't look good, even though he did get beat up pretty bad that game.

As a side note, I had forgotten how great a QB Montana was.

Think we feel bad about Bruce? Think how their fans felt when Montana went to KC.

Anyway, thought I'd share my trip down (unpleasant) memory lane.

Don't have the numbers, but the ***** just might be in the running for worst W-L record of the decade. I'm pulling for them.

(What happened to the other Smiley?)
    Last edited by VegasRam; -04-18-2008 at 04:50 PM.

"the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: 20 years ago, and it still hurts...

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post

Don't have the numbers, but the ***** just might be in the running for worst W-L record of the decade. I'm pulling for them.
    Actually the team with the worst won/loss regular season record from (2000-2007) belongs to the "DETROIT LIONS", 40/88 record. The Whiners are 53/75 for the same time period.

FYI

rampower is offline Registered User

Those loses really hurt, to be honest probably my lowest point as a rams fan, losing to them, in the championship.

phantom sack or not, it took a lot of years for us to find another starting caliber QB. Big fan of Jim.
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

And naturally, they had to show the NFC title game, where the ***** crushed us 30-3.

Funny enough, I had NEVER seen the infamous "phantom sack' Everett took. It didn't look good, even though he did get beat up pretty bad that game.
    That NFC Championship was arguably the most devastating loss in team history. Not only were the Rams up 3-0 in that game, they had a chance to go up 10-0 when a sure TD pass from Everett to Flipper Anderson was batted away at the last moment by Ronnie Lott. The game went from bad to disasterous after that moment, shattered Everett's career and sent the team into a decade long death spiral.

rammiser is offline Registered User

...even more than last year's debacle.

NFL Network had a thing on the '89 ***** last nite, and they showed that Monday nite game where we were up 17-3, and Montana and Taylor combined for two 95 yard TDs.

On the identical play.

A five-yard slant and a 90 yard run.

We lost 30-17.

AS a side note, I had forgotten how great a QB Montana was.

Think we feel bad about Bruce? Think how their fans felt when Montana weent to KC.

Anyway, thought I'd share my trip down (unpleasant) memory lane.

(What happened to the other Smiley?)
    I thought we lost that Monday Night game 30-27 not 30-17. Maybe I'm wrong but I could swear we only lost by 3. I blamed that loss on my dad. He worked late that night and the Rams were crushing the Whiners. As soon as he got home was when Montana hit Taylor for the first td. Then another after that and next thing I know we lose by three. It makes me laugh now that I blamed my dad like he was covering Taylor or something lol. I'm a little supersticious when it comes to the Rams I guess.:wtf:
    Just Fix It

It was 27 - my bad.

rammiser is offline Registered User

It was 27 - my bad.
    No big deal, I'm a bit worried that I remember the score by heart. What does that say about me LOL. I'm not a stat geek either but I hate the whiners with a passion so I guess that game just sat wrong with me.

The playoff loss was terrible like the pass Lott knocked away from a wide open wr and the game changed immediately following that. After the 80's I really thought I would never see the Rams win the big one untill that magical year in 99. The first year I ordered the direct ticket from direct tv. If any of you dont have direct tv I strongly recommend it. Watching every Rams game even in a bad season is better than watching the Cowboys,Raiders and Patsies every week. No I dont work for d-tv LOL.
    Just Fix It

I was at the Monday night game and was gutted

Nice helmet, Dez...but bring back the Harley!

RealRam is offline Registered User

So true ... it still hurts. :\

stlramman is offline Registered User

Think we feel bad about Bruce? Think how their fans felt when Montana went to KC.
    I know their fans had to hate it but theres a big difference,what if Montana had become a Ram? I dont think i would feel so bad if Bruce went to the Chiefs or Chargers or someone i dont absolutely hate.

About that season, I was so excited about that NFC Championship game.We had a high powered offense & a tough D and although we lost that heart breaker to the ***** in Anaheim we had also beat them like 13-12? in Candlestick. Two very competitive games and i was totaly convinced that the NFC Championship would be more of the same. Silly me:\ they sure proved me wrong & as a Rams fan what a devastating loss that was.:\

rampower is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by stlramman View Post
    I know their fans had to hate it but theres a big difference,what if Montana had become a Ram? I dont think i would feel so bad if Bruce went to the Chiefs or Chargers or someone i dont absolutely hate.

About that season, I was so excited about that NFC Championship game.We had a high powered offense & a tough D and although we lost that heart breaker to the ***** in Anaheim we had also beat them like 13-12? in Candlestick. Two very competitive games and i was totaly convinced that the NFC Championship would be more of the same. Silly me:\ they sure proved me wrong & as a Rams fan what a devastating loss that was.:\
    it was 13-12 with a 65 yard bomb TD to flipper, I'll never forget it! On a black and white portable tv!
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

Ramer is offline Registered User

I still remember that ***ers game like it was last season. :\

nuclearman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rampower View Post
    Those loses really hurt, to be honest probably my lowest point as a rams fan, losing to them, in the championship.

phantom sack or not, it took a lot of years for us to find another starting caliber QB. Big fan of Jim.
    Good to hear some love for Jim ... I thought he was a very solid (pro-bowl) QB who has been given alot of unwarranted crap ... lead us to playoff's in '86, '88, and '89 (i think)

moklerman is offline Registered User

I was a huge Everett fan and still remember his first game, coming off the bench against the Patriots. Threw three TD's and almost led the Rams to a win. As dubious as he became I was still happy that the Rams had a good QB year in and year out. It was a shame how he was run out of town. He led the league in TD's in '88 & '89. Had the -***** not been cheaters(loading their team by not abiding by the salary cap), the Rams might have won or got to the Super Bowl in the '80's. Of course, going from Eric Dickerson to Charles White/Greg Bell might have had something to do with it.

The Rams with ED and an experienced Everett would have gone far. Cheap ass Rams.
    Last edited by moklerman; -04-22-2008 at 03:24 AM.