ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

2005 Season: Just What St. Louis Fans Needed

Call me crazy but I think last years disasterous season is what Rams fans in St. Louis needed. The rise to success was so fast that St. Louis fans became spoiled and didn't realize the greatness that we had for a few years there. Maybe a horrible season like last year is what locals needed to push them back off their high horse and start realizing how hard it is to build a champion and how to enjoy the success that we did have as we fight for another championship.

Thoughts?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: 2005 Season: Just What St. Louis Fans Needed

Just my opinion, but I think you're absolutely right, ZZ. I believe the expectations of some fans have far outpaced the abilities of the team on the field. Free agency has shredded this team, especially on the defensive side. And age has depreciated the offensive side.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I realize your statement was directed at St louis fans.
    However I must disagree, We should ride on our high horse every season. Rams are the only NFL team that matters, I rest my case.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Free agency has shredded this team, especially on the defensive side. And age has depreciated the offensive side.
    Some people tend to forget this and still expect the GSOT.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Yodude is offline Registered User

If I really believed that an erosion of talent due to free agency and an aging team were the only root cause of this year's collapse, then I would agree. While I admit that the circumstances you listed are undeniable, I also think that this year's record was just as much a result of lack of focus, lack of preparation, lack of discipline and just plain horrible coaching. There is just no excuse for that.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

The past three seasons have sort of been a reality check for the Rams fans. A lot of us were not acquainted with the 90's Rams except by reading about them. In some ways, this is a blessing, but to those who never experienced the pain of consistent underachieving seasons or even lousy seasons, it has been difficult.
    More than a few fans have looked at the record from '99 to 2004, and thought that we always had a good year, followed by a lean year. The good years were the odd-numbered ones, the lean years were the even numbered ones, but we were always a good bet to be in the playoffs no matter what. Since 2005 was an odd-numbered year, we were due for a winning year, a playoff berth, and only good things.
    Obviously, it didn't happen that way. Many fans are disgusted by what they saw and have become fair-weather fans. Some even defected to the dark side and became bandwagon fans of other teams. All of this has resulted in something I have never seen: an EJD that wasn't filled to capacity. There is no possible way that this fact escaped the front office.
    The front office is apparently reacting to the fan's actions, or lack of actions. A new coaching staff (at least where we needed one), positive press, and a new attitude are just the beginning. It's an injection of hope for us all.
    We are all disappointed in how the 2005 season went. Injuries, soap operas, bad blood, and many other negative factors inhibited us last year. But, we didn't have it as bad as some fans. How about the Colts fans? After several seasons of working to get where they were, and the tragedy that hit the Dungy family, they were once again prevented from playing for the Lombardi. That had to hurt. New England? Hey, their fans were expecting another title...nope. Seattle? Their fans are crying loudly because they made it all the way only to have it ripped out from under them. Now it's all some big conspiracy. (Personally, I didn't think Pittsburgh or Seattle played anywhere close to their potential in the Super Bowl.)
    Yes, 2005 was a big reality check. We needed it. Instead of living with only past glories like the whiner fans, we have something they don't: Hope. The Rams are trying to correct things before we are bottom feeders. It won't be easy, we all know it will not be an overnight change, but we all expect one thing: 2006 will be better because we will have the team trying to rebuild into something as great as the GSOT. Different, but just as great.

I expect 2006 to be better than 2005. 2007 should be even better.

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

I got what you say ZZ, sometimes you need a slap on your face to wake up like this season. Regretfully (at least my generation) will always expect the GSOT back. We all want MF rushing for 1000+ yds and receving for 600+, 30+ points everygame, etc etc etc.
    But is not going to happen, and you have to think that maybe the first season in the Linehan era could be a 0.500 or less, it takes time to build a team, and it takes more time to build a GSOE, and even more to build a dynasty (which is what I look for)

morgetha is offline Registered User

2005 was one, if not, the worst year of watching the Rams over the last 5 years. I don't know, since the Giants game, I was already tired of watching Bulger PASSING all the time. 2005 was the year I started to admit that passing game wasn't that whole lot of fun. And I think I was right. We need more Running Game!!

New era is what we need. Hence regardless of the outcome, I will try to enjoy it as much as I can. I think over the last 2 years, we were living in the past and now it's time to move on. I won't expect much. But please Rams...play your heart out and show some HeartS.
    The Greatest Show on Turf

! Best offense ever !

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Absolutley right, nothing more certain than change and its as good as a rest.

Looking forward to 2006 and what kind of identity Linehan/Haslett stamp on our Rams.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Hey, this happens to all championship caliber teams in the past (Pittsburgh, Dallas, San Francisco, etc). You make the championship run, slip a little, and then alot. The cap and free agency has made sure of that. Hopefully our lean years won't be many.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

I don't think we should have any losing seasons, I'll admit I matured from the ridicule I got from my friends but I hope we never have a losing season.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by rams_fan81
    I don't think we should have any losing seasons, I'll admit I matured from the ridicule I got from my friends but I hope we never have a losing season.
    Hey, rams_fan81, this question is a little off topic, but I am curious...

If you're a Rams fan, why do you have a Tard avatar? Is it a school thing?

Now, back on topic...

Losing seasons are inevitable. Every team will have a lot more than one. Since the parity thing came along, it is really difficult to build a dynasty. It's even more difficult to continue one.
    A losing season is a wake-up call. It means that the game plans you have used are no longer effective. It might be the coaching, the players, or some other reason. No matter what the why is, a good front office will take steps to fix the issues before it is too late.

I think the Rams are addressing the issues just in the nick of time. Let's hope the changes fix the problem, so we can once again think of losing seasons as something the other 3 teams in the NFC West have to deal with.

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

Ya RFS it's my school's logo.