View Poll Results: Was 2007 the worse OL in the last 20 years (87-07)?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 50.00%
  • No

8 50.00%
    RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Was 2007 the worse OL in the last 20 years?

Was 2007 the worse OL in the last 20 years.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: Was 2007 the worse OL in the last 20 years?

I think 2004 could give them a run for their money. Center Wohlabaugh and right tackle Kyle Turley went down in the pre-season. Tom Nutten, who was out coaching in NFL Europe, got called out of retirement and eventually started after we had gone through Dishman and Tercero at LG. He got injured, and then we were starting Turner. At right tackle, we were starting illustrious names like Grant Williams, Blaine Sapaia, and John St. Clair who weren't even slowing pass rushers down. Adam Timmerman played all season but with multiple injuries that required off-season surgery afterwards. McCollum had to switch over to center (from guard where he had been playing previously) when Wohlabaugh went down and also played through the pain on a sprained ankle. So we had just a little more continuity on the offensive line that year than in 2007, but that's because we kept playing our 33-year-old veterans at less than full strength.

I'm sure some of our older members could name plenty of bad years in the '90s as well.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Not a single stable position and 18 combinations. Is there really any question that is doesn't get any worse than 2007?

Mooselini is offline Registered User

this year made my high school football team look good.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Not a single stable position and 18 combinations. Is there really any question that is doesn't get any worse than 2007?
    I would have to agree we had guys that have never started a game before and some street free agents. I have never heard of any team using 18 line combinations in one year.

2004 would not even compare we had McCollum, Timmerman, and Pace start all 16 games. That was a three year younger McCollum, a healthy Pace and Timmerman. We also had Nutten, Dishman, and Grant Williams. We did not hire street free agents that have never started a game. We also had Saipaia who was probably the worse of the bunch but I would have took him over some of the bums we ran out there this year.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    2004 would not even compare we had McCollum, Timmerman, and Pace start all 16 games. That was a three year younger McCollum, a healthy Pace and Timmerman. We also had Nutten, Dishman, and Grant Williams. We did not hire street free agents that have never started a game. We also had Saipaia who was probably the worse of the bunch but I would have took him over some of the bums we ran out there this year.
    McCollum was younger, but he wasn't playing any better that year. Dishman had knee problems that year, too, and that right tackle position was a revolving door no matter who we started. I don't remember if the others were, but Nutten was the definition of a street free agent. He had been out of football and had started coaching. The only bright spot on that line was Orlando Pace. I guess you could argue that it was one more bright spot than we had this year, but the way I recollect that season, the quarterbacks were running for their lives on every play. I'd say at least the right side of that line was worse than this year's version.
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -01-14-2008 at 01:21 AM.

Also, we allowed 50 sacks in 2004 to 48 in 2007. They were both pretty awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Also, we allowed 50 sacks in 2004 to 48 in 2007. They were both pretty awful.
    You forgot one key thing the previous HC passed more and did not like to check down as Bulger stated when Linehan took over. Sacks is a very misleading stat it also depends on the system. The fact we had McCollum, Timmerman, and Pace play in all 16 games along with Grant Williams who at least had experience was much better then having false start Barron as our only OL player to play in all 16 games.

18 combinations in one year I don't believe there is any comparison.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -01-14-2008 at 09:27 AM.

We passed 574 times in 2007 compared to 580 in 2004. Six more pass plays over the course of a 16 game season hardly seems like a significant difference.

I mean you can still argue that we fielded more different combinations this year, but to me that seems like a coaching choice. In 2004, we'd stick with the same guy playing extremely poorly for a number of weeks rather than stick in a different guy to play poorly. In 2007, we were constantly switching up the roster to try to find a combination that would work. Of course, neither way worked very well.

I think we had like 11 different starters/projected starters from the beginning of camp to the end of the season this year. We had 12 in 2004. By the time the season started in 2004, we only had two guys starting for us at the position they had played the year before. So we had less combinations because we were down a couple starters before the season ever started.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    Was 2007 the worse OL in the last 20 years.
    Maybe you could have given us more options than yes/no. How about instead lining up what you believe were the top 5 worst O-lines in the last 20 years and then letting us choose between those? That is, if you can actually name a single year's O-line 15 or 20 years ago without looking it up? The point being that this question is quite pointless unless you remember exactly what the O-lines through that period looked like every year. And I openly admit that I haven't a clue who started at C on the O-line in say 1991 or LG in 1987, and I suspect you don't either.

thoey is offline Registered User

How about if you take the best O line in the NFL EVER, and then walk a long with a baseball bat and take out a shoulder here, a knee there, a couple ankles just for good measure. We had a very good looking O Line before pre-season started. Injuries just take their toll.

Sometimes you are the bug, sometimes you are the windshield. This year? We were what the bug ate for lunch a couple hours before the windshield came into the picture...
    This space for rent...

txramsfan is offline Registered User

98 was worse than this one was.

Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User

Yes. The 2007 OL was the worst in 20 years. Linehan rules. Martz is evil.
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

LinkBacks (?)