Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: 2009 1st Round Pick: Quarterback (with Article by Scott Wright)

are any of these guys Pace worthy?
    The 1998-2005 Pace? I wouldn't assume that of ANY lineman.

The 2008 Pace? Heck yes!

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I'm sure Ryan does look when compared to the superstar Joey Harrington. But the Falcons show that a line CAN be fixed by a single addition sometimes. Baker comes in at LT and the line looks better. But yea, the difference between Ryan and Harrington doesn't hurt either, does it? I suppose Turner & Norwood running at a 4.6 clip is pretty handy as well. These guys are even a borderline playoff team.

Makes me wish we'd got Mike Smith 3 years ago when I wanted him.
    yes, Hubison - Falcons turnaround should give you Rams fans hope. Its amazing what a good front office(Thomas Dimitroff) and a good Head coach and coaching staff(Mike Smith-HC, Mike Mularkey-OC, Paul Boudreau-OLC, etc) can do to turnaround a HORRIBLE team........Falcons added Matt Ryan, Sam Baker, Michael Turner, Curtis Lofton and ***BAM!!!!***** we were in business.

Falcons probably won't make the playoffs and may fade a tad down the stretch because Sam Baker is out at left tackle, his replacement Todd Weiner is playing on one leg and the defensive interior line is horrible. I look for Falcons to finish at 9-7 or 8-8 - but it has been a great ride and they are definitely "building the foundation" in Hotlanta.

You guys need a really good GM and have that GM make a great coaching hire - have a good draft and a few key free agents - and you could be closer than you think. First thing the GM must do after making the head coach hire is cut a lot of players that are thought of as "good" but are terrible in lockerroom or just don't fit the coaches new scheme. Get rid of older players who are paycheck players as well. You have to change the "culture of losing and selfishness"......and it is a culture

Falcons got rid of:

DeAngelo Hall, CB(trade-this guy was not a "team" player)
    Alge Crumpler, TE (good guy, but injury prone and past his prime)
    Warrick Dunn, RB (great guy, but not a good scheme fit and older)
    Joey Harrington, QB (just a loser- teammates had zero confidence in him)
    Rod Coleman, DT(former probowler but was fading & not the best attitude)

So, Falcons "cleaned house" - and the Rams will have to do the same.
    Last edited by Falconator; -11-19-2008 at 10:13 AM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by falconator
    Get rid of older players who are paycheck players as well. You have to change the "culture of losing and selfishness"......and it is a culture
    Amen, my feathered friend. The "new guy", whoever that is, will be very unpopular right out of the gate, because he will launch a few mainstays like Pace, Holt, maybe Bulger to reshape the roster; as you mentioned with Dunn, Crumpler, & Coleman.

It has to happen.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Amen, my feathered friend. The "new guy", whoever that is, will be very unpopular right out of the gate, because he will launch a few mainstays like Pace, Holt, maybe Bulger to reshape the roster; as you mentioned with Dunn, Crumpler, & Coleman.

It has to happen.
    birds of a feather, flock together

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12