RockinRam is offline Registered User

2009 Offensive Line...

I found this video while browsing Youtube. Take it for what it's worth, but some plays are painfully obvious that our offensive linemen were completely dominated.

YouTube - In Defense of the Rams' QBs

Some things I gathered watching this video:

1) Alex Barron is inconsistent, and really got blown off the line of scrimmage on a lot of plays.

2) Jacob Bell really needs to gain more weight. He can't hold his ground very well.

3) Jason Brown was solid, but still had lapses of inconsistency occassionally. I blame this on because his was still getting settled into a new team and new teammates around him, aka not enough time to gell.

4) Richie Incognito was a good run blocker, but sucked as a pass blocker.

5) Jason Smith showed some good flashes, but it was obvious that he still has a lot to learn. Some plays he just looked like he was getting manhandled.

6) Our back-up linemen were really not that good. Setterstrom was below average, Roger Allen was dominated by Justin Smith, and Goldberg is average at best.

7) Our receivers are young, and still are not consistent. They need to be better at getting separation, and knowing when the QB is in trouble.

8) Steven Jackson needs to work on his pass blocking a little bit. He can improve on this.

I think it was beneficial that we brought in Hank Fraley and Rodger Saffold. This, with the combination of a more heavy Jacob Bell, a more comfortable Jason Brown, and a more experienced Jason Smith, I think our line should be better than 2009.

Lesson is offline Registered User

Re: 2009 Offensive Line...

Here's what I noticed:

Incognito got his butt handled on multiple passing plays.

Barron got knocked down more then once and was hot and cold.

The Rams weren't able to give the QB 5 seconds under center. If you give the QB that amount of time, he can analyze the field, see who's open and who is covered. On my count, the Rams gave the QB an average of 3 seconds in the backfield, which isn't enough time to look down the field.

Goldberg shouldn't be the #3 tackle, unless Allen/Trautwein/Wyche/etc. are injured.

I think if the O-Line gells by Week 5, SAM won't be getting thrown to the turf like Bulger. If not, he will be getting thrown down harder then Bulger.
    Last edited by Lesson; -06-03-2010 at 12:49 AM. Reason: I accidentally typed luck instead of look

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Keep in mind this isn't a complete picture and is a video that is designed to support the "We had a bad line" argument. We did have a bad offensive line for the record, but keep in mind that this doesn't equal the entire 2009 campaign. I could probably do a video like this of the Colt's line and make it look bad as well (though probably not as long..), and they gave up the least sacks last year I believe.

Bottom line, we knew all this stuff before, no real need to keep reminding us of this as if A) this will be the exact same team we're fielding next year, and (B) A year of experience and continuity in the same system for the first time in many of these guy's career won't make a difference.

We sucked last year, we know..

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    Keep in mind this isn't a complete picture and is a video that is designed to support the "We had a bad line" argument. We did have a bad offensive line for the record, but keep in mind that this doesn't equal the entire 2009 campaign. I could probably do a video like this of the Colt's line and make it look bad as well (though probably not as long..), and they gave up the least sacks last year I believe.
    Of course it doesn't equal the entire 2009 season. It's a lowlight reel of our O-line. And if you in fact did make a Colt's video, then you would notice that the sacks they give up are due to just good defensive line play, and not having incompetent linemen who are either too light, too inexperienced, or too hotheaded to get the job done.

Bottom line, we knew all this stuff before, no real need to keep reminding us of this as if A) this will be the exact same team we're fielding next year, and (B) A year of experience and continuity in the same system for the first time in many of these guy's career won't make a difference.

We sucked last year, we know..
    Oh, really? I can bet you that there are still people that think that our line is all good and sweet, with no holes in it. That isn't reality. Reality is seen on that video, where we aren't just getting outplayed; we're getting completely blown apart.

And of course we're not fielding the same unit as last year. But, has there been any major changes that guarantee that we improved? Well hopefully, but we're not improved until we actually play a game and see the results.

Gelling obviously helps offensive line play. I have stated that before. But what happens when Jason Smith gets another concussion, Jacob Bell gets injured again, and Rodger Saffold ends up having a Jason Smith-like rookie season?

Well, Sam Bradford is going to be hurting.

Take a look at some of the replays against Jacksonville. We are getting ripped up from a team that had to draft FOUR defensive linemen this year!

There's no reason to be in denial. Last season happened. We sucked. And I'm showing this video to portray that one of the reasons we sucked was because of our offensive line play.

I'm not saying our offensive linemen last year sucked. I'm saying there are a multitude of different reasons for how each lineman performed, and that we should see better results this year.

MACD is offline Registered User

The Rams weren't able to give the QB 5 seconds under center. If you give the QB that amount of time, he can analyze the field, see who's open and who is covered. On my count, the Rams gave the QB an average of 3 seconds in the backfield, which isn't enough time to look down the field.
    May I humbly counter: In my life as a college QB we were making reads all the way back during the drop...by 2.5 seconds that ball had to be gone...and that was a 7 step drop. 5 seconds would be an unusual luxury...3 seconds is about right.

Rockin, there are people who still believe in aliens and that the lunar landing was staged. I thought it was safe to assume that last year most people who watched the games knew that our offensive line play was sub par for the majority of the season. We had some good games last season like ever league team did, im sure.

How can I guarantee anything? I can guarantee we made changes, that's it. New LT, new RG, new RT. That's 3/5 of the line changed. Naturally, I understand that it takes a game situation to show improvement, I guess I get tired of hearing how bad we were LAST year over and over again, I swear i've seen this video at least 10 times....

Injuries are a part of the game and anyone's lineman on anyone's team can go down and it will suck. We don't know what will happen when that happens just like you stated above.

Who's in denial? I'm just saying pointless rehashes on topics that have been thoroughly discussed routinely doesn't do anything but get people thinking that we are doomed yet again as if 2009 Line=2010 line, or hell, 2009 Team=2010 Team.

Notice how many blown assignments there were that resulted in sacks? Guys forgetting fundamentals like get the inside guy first that resulted in linebackers who are obviously blitzing, basically do a 20 yard dash to the QB with nothing but a pat on the butt as he's flying by. This is due to lack familiarity with the scheme and cohesiveness i'd deem (thinking your teammate will pick up the man you just let go).

This is why I say we should be loads better along the offensive line.

But w/e, I realize we are suffering from a severe lack of new topics....

Rockin, there are people who still believe in aliens and that the lunar landing was staged. I thought it was safe to assume that last year most people who watched the games knew that our offensive line play was sub par for the majority of the season. We had some good games last season like ever league team did, im sure.
    And there are also people who still believe in the JFK assassination conspiracies, and the 9/11 conspiracies, but that's not the subject. I do hope it is safe to assume that, but there are still people that act like our offensive line has magically improved all of a sudden. Has it improved? Maybe. Has it changed? Of course. And yes, we had some good games last season, but we also had some bad ones against teams that fielded subpar and average defensive lines.

How can I guarantee anything? I can guarantee we made changes, that's it. New LT, new RG, new RT. That's 3/5 of the line changed. Naturally, I understand that it takes a game situation to show improvement, I guess I get tired of hearing how bad we were LAST year over and over again, I swear i've seen this video at least 10 times....
    There's really no point in getting "tired" of hearing this stuff. It's one's choice to read or watch whatever information they desire. I posted this to be informational, and let people be aware of the reality of our line.

Remember, the NFL is just entertainment. Once you get "tired" of hearing stuff about your own team, no matter if it's good or bad, it's time to relax.

I know I've gotten tired of hearing bad stuff about the Rams in the past. But, I now realize that it's because of our biased views that we think that posts from people that aren't exactly Rams fans are incorrect. I bash sportswriters that say that Bradford will be a bust, because stuff like that is ridiculous. But I never bash things that talk about our record, our weaknesses, etc.

Who's in denial? I'm just saying pointless rehashes on topics that have been thoroughly discussed routinely doesn't do anything but get people thinking that we are doomed yet again as if 2009 Line=2010 line, or hell, 2009 Team=2010 Team.
    First off, I don't think it's pointless. If you think it's pointless, just don't reply. Second, I think it is rather quite interesting to talk about our weaknesses rather than always talk about our strengths, and how much "endless" potential we have at every position.

As for people that will think we are doomed again after just THINKING about last year, then those people need to calm down, and maybe take a vacation. I hear Hawaii is nice this time of year. Maybe attend a Luau, take some surfing lessons, eat some fresh Mahi Mahi and lobsters by the coast under a pavilion filled with palm trees while watching the beautiful sunset disappear in the horizon, swallowed up by the vast Pacific Ocean. And then you realize a seagull has pooped all over your brand new hat.

Notice how many blown assignments there were that resulted in sacks? Guys forgetting fundamentals like get the inside guy first that resulted in linebackers who are obviously blitzing, basically do a 20 yard dash to the QB with nothing but a pat on the butt as he's flying by. This is due to lack familiarity with the scheme and cohesiveness i'd deem (thinking your teammate will pick up the man you just let go).

This is why I say we should be loads better along the offensive line.

But w/e, I realize we are suffering from a severe lack of new topics....

Yes, you're right about that, but also, what if it isn't just blown assignments? What if it's because our linemen just fail to recgonize how the play developed? Then we would have a bigger problem on our hands. If it's just because of lack of familiarity, than that would be less of a problem.

Also, notice how many times our offensive linemen just get blown off the line of scrimmage? How they just get burned, or just out muscled?

I'm going to wait before I think that our line will be loads better. Saffold is already injured. Is that injury going to linger around when the season starts? Let's hope not.

And yes, maybe it's because of lack of new topics that I just want to talk about our offensive line. I mean, it's certainly more interesting then talking about "Jason Smith tries on new helmet..."

Alrighty well. Personally I thought our offensive line woes of 2009 had been thoroughly discussed in depth, perhaps you didn't see the threads during and after the season that pointed out everything you've stated.

My main point is 2009 is 2009, new year, new attitude, and the first time in about 3 years we've had a measure of stability.

Ultimately we'll have to wait and see. What's the point of being a fan when all you concentrate on is how bad an aspect of your team was the previous year? I'm looking at and analyzing the roster for this year and tring to factor all the variables mentioned like experience and continuity into this year's team.

To each his own, ultimately one's way of approaching fanhood is faultless as there are no rules for rooting for a team

Alrighty well. Personally I thought our offensive line woes of 2009 had been thoroughly discussed in depth, perhaps you didn't see the threads during and after the season that pointed out everything you've stated.
    We'll agree to disagree here. Sure there were some posts during the season that pointed out what i stated, but that was more of a reflex, an instinct to do because of the football game we just lost.

It's just like after Bradford throws an interception, and we shout out in fury that Bradford sucks. But, in reality, do we think he sucks? Probably not. It's all a reflex and reaction to how the game played out.

Now, strangely, the same people think our line majorly improved.

My main point is 2009 is 2009, new year, new attitude, and the first time in about 3 years we've had a measure of stability.

Ultimately we'll have to wait and see. What's the point of being a fan when all you concentrate on is how bad an aspect of your team was the previous year? I'm looking at and analyzing the roster for this year and tring to factor all the variables mentioned like experience and continuity into this year's team.

To each his own, ultimately one's way of approaching fanhood is faultless as there are no rules for rooting for a team

Hmm, then I guess I we can't talk about 2000 when we won the Superbowl, since that was 2000 and it is currently 2010.

Have I ever constantly posted bad things about this team? Was I ever one of the Bulger Bashers, the Spagnuolo doubters, the Chris Long haters, the Sam Bradford anti-worshippers, the 2010 draft dislikers?

No.

I post things that are subjective and are open to discussion. This is a forum by the way, and anyone is free to discuss things good or bad about this team. But, it's best to do it in a logical way and not constantly beat down on players without sufficient proof or evidence.

I have also looked at our roster, and I know that we have many reasons to be hopeful. There IS potential across the board, and i recognize that. But, it's also realistic to be reminded of our weaknesses.

If we ever reach an elite status where we have no weaknesses, then that'd be great. We could talk about our strengths all the time.

And, consequently, rules on how to be a fan is actually a subject that has been thoroughly discussed on this board, especially in the past few years I've been on here.