throwback week

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    TheRammer Guest

2010 Starting O-Line

Note: This is just a thought -I think if we went this way we would have a pretty darn good o-line and very good depth.. what you think?

Starting O-Line
    LT Smith
    LG Bell
    C Brown
    RG Saffold
    RT Barron

Yes I know we wanted to get rid of Barron this off season but it didn't happen, so why not play the best of what we have? Except he needs to fix that freaking problem of his FALSE STARTS or at least minimize them!
    Last edited by TheRammer; -04-30-2010 at 07:05 PM. Reason: spelling

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Re: 2010 Starting O-Line

I don't think a combination of Saffold (RG) and Barron (RT) is necessarily better than Greco/Fraley (RG) and Saffold (RT).

Barron is a pure left tackle IMO. Putting him at RT is a stretch. His type of game is not fit for a RT.

He is not tough, aggressive, and he is definitely not a mauler. What he does is use his long arms to mirror pass rushers, and depends on footwork and technique.

Saffold on the other hand, has what it takes to transition to RT. He is a tough player who can also be a good downhill blocker in the run game, and he uses strength, footwork and technique to repel pass rushers.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

I actually have been watching some of the old games and what is standing out to me is how bad are offensive tackles are playing. Smith especially is VERY inconsistent and gets blown by constantly. Don't get me wrong I think he will develop into a fine tackle but he needs to hurry it up.
    The interior of the line is by far the strength of the o-line. We need to find someone, anyone to step it up. I personally would have the starting lineup as:

LT=Barron
    LG=Bell
    C=Brown
    RG=Fraley/Greco
    RT=Goldberg

Just my humble opinion.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    I actually have been watching some of the old games and what is standing out to me is how bad are offensive tackles are playing. Smith especially is VERY inconsistent and gets blown by constantly. Don't get me wrong I think he will develop into a fine tackle but he needs to hurry it up.
    The interior of the line is by far the strength of the o-line. We need to find someone, anyone to step it up. I personally would have the starting lineup as:

LT=Barron
    LG=Bell
    C=Brown
    RG=Fraley/Greco
    RT=Goldberg

Just my humble opinion.
    Where are Smith and Saffold in this mix?

Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

mikhal you must not have seen Goldberg at RT....

You also have to take into account that that was Smith's rookie year and he was still transitioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Where are Smith and Saffold in this mix?
    On the bench or in the rotation developing. I did my evaluation with the intent of having Sam starting from the get go.
    Like I said, I think Smith at this stage is a liability, Saffold I don't really know enough to be perfectly honest. I just trust veterans over rookies.
    Bradford is the exception to the rule. I think he legitimately gives us the best chance to win out of all the QB's on the roster.

But like I said, I'm just another arm chair coach and this is only my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    mikhal you must not have seen Goldberg at RT....

You also have to take into account that that was Smith's rookie year and he was still transitioning.
    I hear you and please don't get the wrong impression, I'm really high on the kid. Our tackles just have me REALLY worried, they get blown by on a constant basis and a TE/RB/FB is expected to stay at home and make the block.

That's why Bulger was throwing all those swing passes last year to get one on one coverage on the outside. (or at least I'm hoping that was the strategy. lol)
    Last edited by mikhal5569; -04-30-2010 at 08:45 PM.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Maybe the Rams should just go ahead and start taking trade offers for a 6th round pick on Smith. Since he obviously isn't starter ready and all.

Like I said, I think Smith at this stage is a liability, Saffold I don't really know enough to be perfectly honest. I just trust veterans over rookies.
    I agree with you in premise about trusting veterans over rookies. It just feels to me like the only way that our rookies become veterans is if they have some sort of playing time, especially in the second year. I can understand letting Saffold play more sparingly this season, but I personally want Smith out there at Left Tackle on every single down. It's the only way he'll get better. I'd like to see Saffold worked into the rotation at guard with the intent of having him start at RT by the end of the season.

It's far too early to say that this season will be a wash, and I usually have a problem with that kind of statement, but we are a rebuilding team. As much as I want a marked improvement this year, I can't see much past four wins for this franchise this year. I guess that even that will be a marked improvement and I'll believe the rest of it when I see it. My point is that the best way for us to make a serious run after this year is finish to let the young players play. If they get some on-field experience under their belts, they'll be that much more prepared to make a real go of it in 2011 and beyond.

Ironically, the only exception that I have to that rule is Bradford. I'd like to see him sit, at least for a little while. Wait for him to adjust to the NFL lifestyle, wait for him to really learn and understand the playbook and develop some chemistry with the other players on and off the field. When he's ready, you start him. I'd aim for the week after the bye, Nov. 14 vs San Francisco.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

LT=Barron
    LG=Bell
    C=Brown
    RG=Fraley/Greco
    RT=Goldberg

Just my humble opinion.
    Make no mistake about it, barring any lingering concussion issues, Smith will be starting at RT, as he should be. When healthy, Smith showed good potential. Sure there were growing pains, but that will change with PT. He's got talent and is a hard worker.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Make no mistake about it, barring any lingering concussion issues, Smith will be starting at RT, as he should be. When healthy, Smith showed good potential. Sure there were growing pains, but that will change with PT. He's got talent and is a hard worker.
    Right Tackle, Mike?

I can see him making the jump to the left side this year to protect Bradford's blindside.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    I don't think a combination of Saffold (RG) and Barron (RT) is necessarily better than Greco/Fraley (RG) and Saffold (RT).

Barron is a pure left tackle IMO. Putting him at RT is a stretch. His type of game is not fit for a RT.

He is not tough, aggressive, and he is definitely not a mauler. What he does is use his long arms to mirror pass rushers, and depends on footwork and technique.

Saffold on the other hand, has what it takes to transition to RT. He is a tough player who can also be a good downhill blocker in the run game, and he uses strength, footwork and technique to repel pass rushers.
    RockinRam i couldn't disagree with you more. Rogger Safold is not a mauler type either. He will use all of his strength on blocking but he is not a very strong Tackle to begin with. And Saffold also relies on his footwork. I think Barron will get lucky again and the RT is his spot to lose. I want Saffold to start at RT but at this point its Barron's to lose.

And Mikhil This is football not baseball. Football players dont play at a high level for 15 years most play at a top level for about 7 years. So we cant keep riding our future on the bench then see them leave we need to start them now.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    RockinRam i couldn't disagree with you more. Rogger Safold is not a mauler type either. He will use all of his strength on blocking but he is not a very strong Tackle to begin with. And Saffold also relies on his footwork. I think Barron will get lucky again and the RT is his spot to lose. I want Saffold to start at RT but at this point its Barron's to lose.

And Mikhil This is football not baseball. Football players dont play at a high level for 15 years most play at a top level for about 7 years. So we cant keep riding our future on the bench then see them leave we need to start them now.

He's much of a mauler than Barron is.

Saffold, unlike Barron, can actually get to the second level while blocking.

And if we start Barron at RT, bad things are going to happen to Bradford...

Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

Saffold as I understand and have heard is a very good technician with a nasty side as well. He can run block and pass block and has good strength. Don't forget that he hasn't undergone an NFL strength program or played in NFL like conditions.

If you guys think that Smith will be at RT then your fooling yourself. He can't learn LT if you keep sticking him at RT and he is not being paid RT money. Let's stop being so darn impatient and give the guy a chance first...Since when are rookies all they are going to be in their first year? It's unfair and inaccurate 9/10 times to judge a guys performance off of his first year in the highest stage of football. At some point you have to suck it up and let guys take their lumps instead of trying to be Mama trying for perfect conditions.

YouTube - Rodger Saffold vs. Brandon Graham
    About the only video on youtube of Saffold, but he pretty much controlled Graham throughout every play in the run game and the passing game. There are a couple of plays where Graham gets into his pads and one where he whiffs on a run block. Only gave up one sack all year. This guy, along with an NFL strength regime, will be absolutely fine on the right side. This confirms the scouting reports I've read on him.
    Last edited by Bralidore(RAMMODE); -05-01-2010 at 11:12 AM.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Maybe the Rams should just go ahead and start taking trade offers for a 6th round pick on Smith. Since he obviously isn't starter ready and all.
    Maybe its due to the fact that he is a LT and not a RT.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast