Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree234Likes

Thread: 2012 Rams First Round Pick (#14): Michael Brockers, DT, LSU

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Re: 2012 Rams First Round Pick (#14): Michael Brockers, DT, LSU

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    Hopefully we pick up some WR's tomorrow.
    Indeed, we need to get Jeffery or Randle with one of our 2nd rounders.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Rams trade down to 14th, pick DT Brockers
    BY KATHLEEN NELSON | Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 7:40 pm

Fans waited longer than expected for the Rams to miss the top two wide receivers in the draft and instead take defensive tackle Michael Brockers of LSU with the 14th pick.

At 6-5 and 322 pounds, Brockers will take up lots of space on the defensive line. Just a sophomore, Brockers is considered "young and unpolished, with a large frame and intriguing skills for impact run stuffer," according to NFLdraftscout.com

"Michael is a big man at 322 pounds, he's explosive," coach Jeff Fisher said. "He's very instinctive. For not having played, he can play across the face of blocks. He plays with effort. He pushes the pocket.

"There's so much ahead of him. He's going to develop into a fine player. He's a fine young man. He's the complete package. He's what you want in a defensive tackle."

Just 21, Brockers started all 14 games at left defensive tackle for LSU in 2011. He had 54 tackles, two sacks and 10 stops for loss. He started just one game in 2010, his first on the field with the Tigers, with 25 tackles, one stop for a loss and a forced fumble.

A flurry of trades at the top of the draft, including the early selection of wide receiver Justin Blackmon of Oklahoma State, led the Rams to trade down yet again, to 14th overall. But the good news is that the Rams have three second-round picks, 33rd, 39th and 45th overall. Rams general manager Les Snead said the wild swapping went according to one of the scenarios the Rams had envisioned.

"We had a plan and had scenarios for the last two weeks," Snead said. "Right now, this scenario is right on track. With our three second-round and our third-round pick, weld liked to get players who can come in and help this football team next year."

Here's how it unfolded. The Cleveland Browns and Minnesota Vikings didn't wait for the official clock to start at 7 p.m. before starting the draft action. The Browns gave up a fourth-, fifth- and seventh-round pick to the Vikings to move up one spot. The Browns then used the pick to select running back Trent Richardson from Alabama. According to Browns beat writer Mary Kay Cabot, the Browns were concerned that the Tampa Bay Bucaneers would trade up ahead of them to grab the consensus top running back in the draft.

Between the Browns' selection of Richardson and the Vikings' pick of offensive tackle Matt Kalil of USC, Jacksonville traded up with the Tampa Bay Bucs for the fifth pick. The Jaguars gave up their pick in the fourth round to move up two spots and take Blackmon.

The Rams then traded down for the Cowboys' first-round pick, 14th overall, and the Cowboys' second-round pick. Thus, the Rams have three picks in the second round and four picks in the top 45. The Cowboys used the sixth pick overall to take cornerback Morris Claiborne from LSU.

The first and second picks held no drama. The Colts had announced that they would select quarterback Andrew Luck of Stanford first overall and stayed on the clock just two minutes, long enough for ESPN and the NFL Network to run Highlight Reel No. 1.

The Redskins traded away picks to the Rams last month to move up to No. 2 to draft Robert Griffin III, quarterback from Baylor.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    Indeed, we need to get Jeffery or Randle with one of our 2nd rounders.
    I'd like Stephen Hill, personally.

lostsoul is offline Registered User

Love the pick. Our D line is going to be Phenomenal. Last time we had decent DT play we were one game away from the playoffs.

jjigga3000 is online now Registered User

Some of you are completely pathetic. What did you expect we missed out on Blackmon, and there was no way they take Floyd at 6 so the smart thing to do was trade down. Plus they said they would trade down anyway. we basically have a late 1st round pick and 2 second round picks in the first 12 picks of the 2nd round. We'll be ok. I didn't know too much about him put I thought it was an ok pick. You never know until they play a game how well they'll do.

You best believe that at least 2 or 3 of those top 10 picks will be bust.
    RealRam, Fat Pang and Bar-bq like this.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Solid pick at a position of MAJOR need for us. I would have preferred decastro, but i am fine with this. He was picked right in the range of where he was projected by multiple people that make these sort of rankings, not that i put a ton of weight in that, but i make the point to try and appease those who somehow think that the pick is already a bust, as if we drafted some random guy out of left field. How can anyone deny the need for a run stopping defensive tackle and what makes anyone think that fisher doesnt know how to spot quality at that position. Look how much better our defensive line looks with langford and brockers to go with long and quinn. We have not been able to stop the run up the middle in years.

The pick is not sexy or flashy, but its very solid.

Round 2- rueben randle wr lsu (and i have no problem if they take cordy glenn instead, but prefer randle)

For those of you screaming, can you at least wait and see what we do with the three second round picks! Brockers can not be evaluated in a vacuum, you have to see what we add at 45.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    RealRam, Rambos, viper and 2 others like this.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Let's review.

The Rams started with the No. 2 pick. They have turned that into the 14th pick (Brockers), 2 second round picks this year, a first round pick in 2013, and a first round pick in 2014. That's 1 pick traded for 5 picks. And people are questioning our front office?

As for the selection, a lot of people (Mel Kiper included) presume that the Rams would have chosen Michael Floyd over Brockers. Maybe. Maybe not. For all we know, the Rams might have seen something in Floyd's recent workout that they DIDN'T like, and they would have taken Brockers regardless of what Arizona did.

Nobody was more in favor of the Rams drafting Justin Blackmon than I was. That said, while I think Blackmon is going to be a very good player in the NFL, I really doubt he'll be better than Brockers, 2 second rounders and two future first rounders.

Looking forward to Round 2!

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1
    I am completely and thoroughly disgusted with what the Rams have done.
    This is why the Rams are 15-65 over the past 5 years.
    When are you people going to come to the realization that the Rams just aren't an intelligent organization.
    I am so freaking' absolutely sick of people coming on this board and talking about the future.
    THIS is what we waited months for? I want to throw up.
    An abomination.
    Clueless.
    I'm just very, very discouraged at what the Rams have done here. A big letdown.
    Are you finished with your negative tantrum yet?

Last edited by Curly Horns; -04-26-2012 at 11:40 PM.
    Fat Pang, Rammed, lostsoul and 2 others like this.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Tony Softli on Twitter: "Trade back out of 6 to 14, pick up a 2nd rd #45 and draft Brockers DT from LSU is a great pick by the Rams. He was #9 on my board."
    Your picture, Kuiper, thinks they blew it by missing out on Blackman and Floyd. They settled for their 3rd choice. Fisher may have wanted defense all along. We'll see if he cops to it or not.

Given the high hopes of starting out at #2 I think they badly mishandled their draft position and whiffed by not getting Bradford any help in the top of the draft.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

AV just pretty much stole my post. Our "incompetent" FO just turned our #2 draft pick into 2 second rounders this year, 2 future #1 picks, and a guy who was regarded by many to be the best 4-3 nose tackle in the draft. Some of you are disregarding this because we did not draft players that were NOT AVAILABLE when we picked.

Guys, WRs are a need but theres not a WR in this draft that i would exchange for what weve accomplished so far.
    RAMarkable and Fat Pang like this.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i View Post
    Your picture, Kuiper, thinks they blew it by missing out on Blackman and Floyd. They settled for their 3rd choice. Fisher may have wanted defense all along. We'll see if he cops to it or not.
    Draft Trivia: I actually relate most to Kiper in the hair department.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

I'd like to set something straight. The Rams didn't pick up Brockers with the 14th pick. They picked up Brockers AND the 13th pick in the 2nd round (#45).

So Rams are left with 3 of the first 13 picks tomorrow. Um, that's 23% of tomorrow's first 13 picks. 23%!!!!

You can't tell me that's not a huge advantage to get playmakers. Guys like Laurinatus were grabbed in the 2nd you know. Brett Favre; Michael Strahan; Drew Brees; Larry Allen; Greg Jennings (oh, he plays wr quite well doesn't he?); Ray Rice; Mike Singletary...

Personally, I'm proud Rams got a coach and a gm that can roll with the punches. When I think what Linehan would've done in the same situation when he found out the Jaguars jumped his pick, I worry about what how long he would be out due to the hyperextension injury he gets from overreaching on a player that fits the teams needs. This way, Rams still get a top 15 player AND an add'l 2nd round pick.

I support the Rams on the field. I ALSO support the Rams off the field. (the fact that Georgia is gone, certainly helps with the latter).

In any event, he's in the horns so I'm supporting him. Fortunately, he's not a Carriker project... we know exactly where he belongs on the defensive line and exactly what's he's being paid to do.... no moving out of position Linehan stuff. Yo Brockers my man, would you please stuff the middle so that Long and Quinn can do what the Rams pay a heck of a lot more money to them to do? Thanks. You know we'd have the guys from last year do it, but most of them are no longer on the team and there's this rotation thing we ought to do for schemes and so guys can stay fresh. You understand.

(edit: curse you AV for submitting a post aligned with mine while I'm still typing it! You oughtta be ashamed of yourself. Mister big shot gotta post it before someone else. Go look on the bright side and expose the silver lining on someone else's time! hahaha great minds think alike i guess. peace.)
    Last edited by KoaKoi; -04-26-2012 at 11:56 PM. Reason: to address concurrent post
    RealRam, Nick and Flippin' Ram like this.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Blackmon and Floyd weren't available to us because we misjudged where they would go in the draft. I like the Brockers pick but I'm bummed out that we missed out on Blackman and then Floyd. It's great to have all the picks so long as we don't get badly played tomorrow like we did today. My worry is that we end up with the type of receiver or receivers like we've drafted the last 5 or so years who are no longer on the team. That would be a shame and quite frankly a disaster for Bradford.

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    Are you finished with your negative tantrum yet?

Just speaking honestly. If you don't like it, tough. Only a complete clown with too much time on his hands would take the time and trouble to scan every single post of someone you don't agree with, pick out select quotes and try to pick a fight. Offer an alternative opinion about how you'd have handled the draft instead of looking for trouble. I feel the Rams did a horrible job in round one and I could care less if you or anyone else on this board disagrees. We had a chance to galvanize the fan base and provide our 50 million dollar investment with the best receiver in the draft and didn't do so because we vacated our original spot, then got outfoxed by Jacksonville, of all people. Adding insult to injury, Arizona takes Michael Floyd at #13 and pairs him with Larry Fitzgerald.

How many people on this board over the past three months were clammoring for Michael Brockers? Now that we picked the guy, people love the pick and all of a sudden he's the next Warren Sapp. Please.
    ZiaRam likes this.

Dreadlock is offline Registered User

I love the pick of the trenches. When rebuilding, you build from the inside out. You don't start with the sizzle. Personally would have preferred DeCastro but Brockers is fine.

The thing that hurts is AJ Jenkins getting drafted late in the 1st round. He would have been terrific at 33. People shouldn't be shocked if the Rams pick Cordy Glenn early in the second to solidify the O-line.
    jsimcox likes this.