Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree234Likes

Thread: 2012 Rams First Round Pick (#14): Michael Brockers, DT, LSU

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: 2012 Rams First Round Pick (#14): Michael Brockers, DT, LSU

Claiborne and Finnegan would have been nice, but Quinn/Langford/Brockers/Long (with Hayes and Laws backing them up) sounds pretty good too.

Harry S. Truman is offline Registered User

Brockers is considered the best run stopper in the draft. One could argue, after watching DeMarco Murray put up 1/4th of his season rush total against the Rams, and seeing them get beaten senseless by the run game the last two seasons, a clogger was their biggest need.

I dunno about you guys, but between he and Langford, I would like to believe the days of watching teams run all day on us are gone for good.

Also, now the team holds 3 second rounders to start out the second round. Stephen Hill, who has as much upside as any WR in the draft, is still there.. So is Reuben Randle, marvin McNutt, Nick Toon and several other quality WR.

The Rams will be fine. They're already off to a nice start.

RyanFoster is offline Registered User

2.33 Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina
    2.39 Lavonte David, OLB, Nebraska
    2.45 Kelechi Osemele, T/G, Iowa State

then i will feel better about picking a pure "run-stopper" in the 1st freakin round

thoey is offline Registered User

First, I am saddened that we didn't get Blackmon. My gut says he will be something special in the NFL. I will also admit that could be last night's Kimchee. But this wasn't 100% our fault as we didn't see that move coming.

So, we dropped back, got an extra second rounder, I thought, as long as we get Michael Floyd, the second best WR (But I will add as a fan of GO BLUE, I am leery of anything Irish and OSU (I still LOVE JLau)), we can do this. Unfortunately, the 13th pick stole him from us. Weren't there a lot of threads that prefaced this same thing? "If we can drop back to X position and still get X, would you do it? But you can't promise X will be there."

So, we get to finally pick and we take Brockers. I am NOT a draftnik. I leave that to Nick, AV, and several others on this site (if you are a regular draft guru and I don't list you it is not that I don't respect you, I do, beer talking right now and I can't remember all the names). I am at a softball field after our game, NFL 2012 in hand as I sweat and see who we are going to get. I see his name and have to look at the NFL 2012 info on this guy as I don't recognize the name.

Strengths (and I will paraphrase as I don't want to type that much): Massive. Can play many roles. Handles double teams. Excels against the run. Powerful legs and long arms. Sniffs out plays.

Weaknesses: 1 year starter. Still developing. Poor pass rushing technique. (WTF???) Slow to use his hands and exposes his frame on most plays. Raw, grown physically at a rapid pace, but hasn't learned his body yet.

Again, they say much more, but I cut it down as I am too lazy.

After I got over my initial hysteria, I think we did well. I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY wanted Blackmon, I am expecting to see his name listed as a really good, if not GREAT WR in the very near future.

But, the way the cards fell, we didn't get the WR I wanted or would have taken as a second choice. We are a long way from the promise land with a lot of holes. And we are accumulating picks and getting quality players along the way. I want to see this draft provide us promise that we are moving forward. And what better way. Think of our division opponents Offensive Coordinators that we play twice a year or those others that we play once looking at our defensive line. No, I am not going to call them the current version of the Fearsome Foursome. But it's the start of a new pillar program. Not that "oh, lets get the nice guys who never got into trouble" to play for us. I really don't care if they are pillars of the community. But how about we build a team the our opponents respect and maybe even (legally) fear. You start that in the trenches, and you can best do that by having LOTS of picks in that area.

Gawd, I hope my beer worries don't show through on this post...
    This space for rent...

JustinHasAnAxe is offline Registered User

Brockers must have been their guy.

I dont see how Jacksonville has more to give than the Rams at this point. So our front office must not have thought much of Blackmon. Jacksonville slipped in to nab Blackmon because the Rams let them.

Also, you dont trade down with Dallas and expect Floyd to still be there after Arizona's pick. So they must not have thought getting Floyd was that important either.

At least this is what i choose to believe considering the alternative is that our front office is completely incompetent.

cfh128 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHasAnAxe View Post
    Brockers must have been their guy.

I dont see how Jacksonville has more to give than the Rams at this point. So our front office must not have thought much of Blackmon. Jacksonville slipped in to nab Blackmon because the Rams let them.

Also, you dont trade down with Dallas and expect Floyd to still be there after Arizona's pick. So they must not have thought getting Floyd was that important either.

At least this is what i choose to believe considering the alternative is that our front office is completely incompetent.
    More realistically, they realized there were several players that they thought would be available at 14 and decided to move down and acquire the extra pick. I doubt they traded down in hopes of landing one specific player or another.

Having said that, watch the post round 1 press conference with Snead and Fisher. The way they talk about Brockers does not lead me to believe that this is a guy they settled for. They are stoked about Brockers, they think they just stole Brockers, and they think hes going to be an elite player for this defense. It definitely pumped me up after hearing how highly they thought of Brockers.

Bing69 is offline Registered User

I have no problem with the pick, i will always trust our FO< even if in the past it hasnt turned out so well.

I have a little chip on my shoulder about the trade, we only got a 2nd rounder, we could have got another 4th or something. On the flipside, maybe we're going after Janaris Jenkins in round 2, who has the potential to be elite (and give our coaches many headaches).

Anyway, roll on round 2, 3 high picks, it could pan out nicely

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Anyone who needs to see the upside on this pick should go back and watch Dallas run up nearly 300 yards on this defense.

Yes, losing out on Blackmon and then Floyd is disappointing, but everyone has talked about how deep this WR class is. We're one round down out of seven, with three picks in the second to help the offense. Can't be short sighted in a marathon.
    I agree with everything you have said Nick, but I absolutely love how you try to put a positive spin on everything. Hell, if we took Bruce Irvin you'd make us all believe he was the second coming of Deacon Jones.

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

Disgrace.....

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Lets just say i LOVE this pick. And not only the pick. Starting at #2 and picking up an extra two second rounders and two future first round picks is fantastic.

But lets review the situation with Brockers.
    Before free agency the Rams released both Fred Robbins and Justin Bannan, both starters from last year. They went out in free agency and picked up Kendall Langford and Trevor Laws. Good players, but Laws is depth and Langford is a former 3-4 defensive end, expected to play as a penetrating pass rushing tackle.
    So the Rams had a hole on the team at DT, and needed a massive run stuffing tackle.

So looking at the draft, the top DTs available were Fletcher Cox, Dontari Poe and Michael Brockers. Poe is a huge NT that had a great combine but has poor game tape. Fletcher Cox isn't a massive run stuffer, and is a more penetrating tackle. Brockers is the run stuffer we need.

Now, lets look at the people moaning about not picking a WR or CB. You suggest that we have missed out on marquee players by not picking a WR or CB. But were the players in question really marquee players? There was no Calvin Johnson at WR. There was no Charles Woodson at CB. Before the draft, there wasn't even a consensus as to who the best WR and CB were. Many people rated Michael Floyd over Justin Blackmon at WR, and many rated Stephon Gilmore and Janoris Jenkins over Morris Claiborne. If there is so much uncertainty over the rankings, then surely these aren't marquee players.

So rather than taking a top 6 pick on a guy that you aren't even sure about, why not drop down, pick up an extra pick, and get the DT you were targeting?

With regards to the second round, I originally wanted to go WR in the first because there would be good DTs available, and i thought a lot of the WRs were going to be gone in the second round. But with Randle and Hill on the board, this looks like it was a great move. Provided the Rams pick one of them.
    RealRam, ramstiles, Rammed and 1 others like this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Lets just say i LOVE this pick. And not only the pick. Starting at #2 and picking up an extra two second rounders and two future first round picks is fantastic.

But lets review the situation with Brockers.
    Before free agency the Rams released both Fred Robbins and Justin Bannan, both starters from last year. They went out in free agency and picked up Kendall Langford and Trevor Laws. Good players, but Laws is depth and Langford is a former 3-4 defensive end, expected to play as a penetrating pass rushing tackle.
    So the Rams had a hole on the team at DT, and needed a massive run stuffing tackle.

So looking at the draft, the top DTs available were Fletcher Cox, Dontari Poe and Michael Brockers. Poe is a huge NT that had a great combine but has poor game tape. Fletcher Cox isn't a massive run stuffer, and is a more penetrating tackle. Brockers is the run stuffer we need.

Now, lets look at the people moaning about not picking a WR or CB. You suggest that we have missed out on marquee players by not picking a WR or CB. But were the players in question really marquee players? There was no Calvin Johnson at WR. There was no Charles Woodson at CB. Before the draft, there wasn't even a consensus as to who the best WR and CB were. Many people rated Michael Floyd over Justin Blackmon at WR, and many rated Stephon Gilmore and Janoris Jenkins over Morris Claiborne. If there is so much uncertainty over the rankings, then surely these aren't marquee players.

So rather than taking a top 6 pick on a guy that you aren't even sure about, why not drop down, pick up an extra pick, and get the DT you were targeting?

With regards to the second round, I originally wanted to go WR in the first because there would be good DTs available, and i thought a lot of the WRs were going to be gone in the second round. But with Randle and Hill on the board, this looks like it was a great move. Provided the Rams pick one of them.
    It's not the flashy pick, but I couldn't care less. Fisher knows how to build a team, not some dude that drank 10 beers sitting on his coach playing armchair GM. We clearly liked Brockers at 6, and we seen an opportunity to add another pick and still get our guy, so we did it.

Brockers will be a dominant force in the NFL, I'll bet it. All the people whining right now will come out and start those stupid threads we see every year " I want to be the first to apologize to _____, They really came out and proved me wrong and I'm glad we took them".

BROCKERS FOR PREZ!!

THE DREAM TEAM

md8
    md8 is offline Registered User

A great defense needs a solid foundation. We could have the best pass rush, CBs and LBs, but if teams could run all day on us, they won't do us any good. This pick should help force teams to have 3rd and long. Then that gives our pass rushers a better chance to show what they can do. If we can add another good LB and CB either this year or next, we should have the makings of a pretty good young D. I know that's not as exciting as a top offense, but it could still make us a good team.

I don't see why people are saying same old Rams. The problem with the old FO was drafting busts and reaching for players. If you think Brockers will be a bust then fine, but can't say same old Rams because they didn't draft a player you were in love with. Brockers wasn't a reach and most analyst think he'll be a good player. AND we added another 2nd. I love the draft so far.
    Last edited by md8; -04-27-2012 at 04:11 AM.
    RealRam and viper like this.

RyanFoster is offline Registered User

So is that a no to Alshon Jeffery at 33 or 39? the dude would start day 1 and hes 6'4 230 and he runs killer routes. Sam needs something outside and this guy seems great as a 2nd rounder. We can select either Zach Brown or Lavonte David to fill our OLB hole and get Cordy Glenn if hes available or bring in a guy that Fisher brought in for a visit in Kelechi Osemele.

DT isnt sexy and its definitely not gonna win us games but after careful thought (and a lot of yelling and screaming) i think it was a good pick. i dunno about you but im sick of Cards fans reminding me how Beanie Wells put up 230 on us. Well not anymore. We have one of the best Dlines in the NFC with 3 1st rounders in it.

lets do day two right and get some players on Offense and i think Ram Nation will be happy
    Last edited by Nick; -04-27-2012 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Removing profanity

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RyanFoster View Post
    So is that a no to Alshon Jeffery at 33 or 39? the dude would start day 1 and hes 6'4 230 and he runs killer routes. Sam needs something outside and this guy seems great as a 2nd rounder. We can select either Zach Brown or Lavonte David to fill our OLB hole and get Cordy Glenn if hes available or bring in a guy that Fisher brought in for a visit in Kelechi Osemele.

DT isnt sexy and its definitely not gonna win us games but after careful thought (and a lot of yelling and screaming) i think it was a good pick. i dunno about you but im sick of Cards fans reminding me how Beanie Wells put up 230 on us. Well not anymore. We have one of the best Dlines in the NFC with 3 1st rounders in it.

lets do day two right and get some players on Offense and i think Ram Nation will be happy
    I wouldn't mind drafting Jeffrey alongside another 2nd round WR, but if we had to take only one WR, i wouldn't want it to be Jeffrey. Or Sanu. Of the guys on the board, I want Randle. Maybe Hill.
    Last edited by Nick; -04-27-2012 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Removing profanity in quoted post

md8
    md8 is offline Registered User

SI
    Brockers is a big, rangy and athletic interior lineman who anchored the middle of LSU's great defense last year as a redshirt sophomore and also has the potential to play at defensive end, too. The pathetic Rams need help everywhere, including on the defensive front: they were gashed for 4.8 yards per rush attempt last year (28th). St. Louis is sitting pretty overall: stockpiling picks by twice trading down out of their original No. 2 overall pick.
    CBS
    They trade down and add picks and end up with a top-level tackle. Yes, he's raw. But he is perfect for Jeff Fisher's teams.
    USAToday
    After trading down twice (St. Louis originally owned the No. 2 choice), St. Louis beefs up its defensive interior with the raw but hugely promising Brockers. At 6-6, 322 pounds, Brockers is a formidable presence who should disrupt the pocket and/or draw double teams away from pass rushing DEs Chris Long and Robert Quinn. The Rams now have three choices in the second round and perhaps that's when they'll start enlisting offensive support for QB Sam Bradford and RB Steven Jackson.
    ESPN
    • What he brings: Brockers is a big and athletic interior run-stuffer who shows above-average range for a 322-pound defensive tackle. He still has a long way to go in terms of rushing the passer, but he has the active hands and athletic ability to get there.

How he fits: This is a run defense that a year ago was near the bottom of the league. The coaches really gutted the interior of this defensive line. They did add Kendall Langford from Miami as a veteran free agent, and he's a good run defender. Brockers can start at the other defensive tackle position and give them not only an improved run defense, but he also has some inside penetration skills that they so desperately needed. Inside pressure will help their edge rushers, and a big goal of this defense was to get bigger and more physical.
    • Everyone seems to think we did well.
    viper likes this.