throwback week

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: 2012 Rams Second Round Pick (#33): Brian Quick, WR, Appalachian State

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

2012 Rams Second Round Pick (#33): Brian Quick, WR, Appalachian State

The Rams worked Quick out last weekend, and must have liked what they saw!

How awesome to be a receiver announced by Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt. You've gotta love that.

Discuss!

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Re: 2012 Rams Second Round Pick (#33): Brian Quick, WR, Appalachian State

I'm not a draftnick by any means, but I like his size and the fact he was a basketball player.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

Good WR, sleeper pick in my book. Would have rather had Hill, but meh...

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Pretty special.

Who'd have thought we'd pick up a WR in the 2nd?

Dave2oo2 is offline Registered User

I don't mind the pick, I just feel that he will be there later in the round.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Well the Rams must have liked what they saw for sure... lets hope Les just hit on this one! We have our 1# wide-out, deep threat...

FolsomFan is offline Registered User

Wow ... just wow. I will just trust that the front office knows what they are doing.

Would he not have been available with their second pick of the round?

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I hope I'm wrong but it's just feeling like Donnie Avery all over again--reaching that is. I don't know much about him so hopefully I'm sorely mistaken...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Rambos is offline Registered User

Do we double down with Randle or Hill at #39?

Overview
    Quick played up to his significant measurements as a big man in a small-school conference.

He is one of the most highly rated prospects in Appalachian history. He is the school's all-time leader in receptions (202), receiving yards (3,418) and touchdown catches (31).

Last season was his best with 71 catches, 1,096 yards and 11 scores.

Despite his last name, Brian is probably faster than quick but is a tremendous target short or deep. He has excellent downfield speed once after he gets into second gear or higher and ran a decent 40-yard dash at the Scouting combine, with a best time of 4.50 seconds.

Quick also plays even larger than his height thanks to 34 1/4-inch arms and an 80 7/8-inch wingspan that makes him a huge target. Add to that a 34-inch vertical jump and Quick has everything it takes to become a quarterback's favorite target, especially in the red zone.

He impressed scouts at the Senior Bowl and in the game was a favorite target of Boise State quarterback Kellen Moore. And, lest we forget a historical moment, Quick was one of only two players on the team last year who were part of the 2007 victory over Michigan.

Analysis
    Release: Was rarely challenged with press coverage due to his great size. Has long arms and a developing swat-away move to slip free, though he can get tied up and lose timing with the quarterback. Quickly generates top-end speed and can surprise the defender playing in off-man coverage with his ability to eat up the cushion.

Hands: Possesses long arms and big, strong hands. Inconsistent with his body positioning and isn't as effective in blocking out smaller defensive backs from the ball as his size would indicate. Can snatch hot passes outside of his frame and has good flexibility to adjust to poorly thrown passes. Concentration lapses cost him drops, which was again noteworthy at Senior Bowl practices.

Route running: Needs significant work in this area, though he has intriguing tools to work with. Is a smooth accelerator whose long strides eat up the cushion quickly and get him to top-end speed efficiently. Good balance and flexibility to sink his hips and generate good burst laterally out of his breaks to separate, especially for a receiver of his size. Inconsistent route runner. Struggled a bit at the Senior Bowl when his size and athleticism weren't enough to beat defenders.

After the catch: This is the area where Quick shows some unique traits. Has good top-end speed for a receiver of his size, frequently surprising defenders with his ability to accelerate and forcing them to adjust their pursuit angles. Good strength, effort, and balance to fight through tackles and break free for big plays.

Blocking: Competitive player who uses his size and strength to effectively block his opponent despite the fact that he shows only average overall technique. Has to do a better job of keeping his feet moving to sustain the block rather than simply provide a physical shove.

Intangibles: Was a star basketball player in high school and only played one season of football at the prep level. Claimed at the Senior Bowl that he rarely received positional coaching at Appalachian State and that his experience with the Minnesota Vikings staff was first time he'd had a receivers coach.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

So much for him being a sleeper

Idk how to react to this only because he has never faced top level talent...but there has been players that do well in the NFL from small schools

Greg Cosell on Quick: "WR Quick also fascinating. Outstanding talent: Size, deceptive speed due to stride length, body control + flexibilty. Chance to be very good"

Chris Steuber on Quick: "Brian Quick is nice pick for #Rams. A little high for me at 33, but he has size they need on the outside. Good redzone target for Bradford."

NFL Draft Scout on Quick: "2 (33). Rams, WR Brian Quick: Exciting combo of size & playmaking ability; great upside but a work in progress at Senior Bowl #NFLDraft"

codeman123 is offline Registered User

Apparently Quick was the 5th private workout for the Rams and they were pretty successful keeping that one quiet. He blew them away with his workout.

Good pick.

Quote Originally Posted by codeman123 View Post
    Apparently Quick was the 5th private workout for the Rams and they were pretty successful keeping that one quiet. He blew them away with his workout.

Good pick.
    This is something to keep in mind. The Rams worked out a lot of these guys themselves and got a good look at them up close to go along with their tape study. This is the guy they feel is the best for them.

At this point, while I personally would have taken a different player at this position, I defer to their judgment and analysis because, really, how much Brian Quick tape have I studied? And I like to think I watch and rewatch a lot of college football to prepare for this thing.

It sounds like he has all the physical skills to succeed. You have to love the combination of size and athleticism. We'll see how it works out. At least they've attempted to address the position which is what many were clamoring for. Still two more second round picks to go.

By the way, it's worth noting that the Browns, considered a possible landing spot for Justin Blackmon due to their need at the receiver position, just passed on both Randle and Hill to take offensive tackle Mitchell Schwartz out of California. Perhaps NFL teams aren't as high on Randle and Hill as fans and the media are? Food for thought.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast