Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: 2012 Rams Second Round Pick (#39): Janoris Jenkins, CB, N. Alabama

mh-i is offline Registered User

Re: 2012 Rams Second Round Pick (#39): Janoris Jenkins, CB, N. Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Well drafting model citizens has not exactly worked for us at all the last several years.
    They should be meaner and tougher if they can stay on the field. It's just funny after the whole Greg Williams thing and after being put through the ringer with Pacman that Fisher drafts not one but THREE guys out of his first six that have baggage.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Yeah, some of you guys are really over blowing his off the field issues. Its a matter of him being smart enough to stay clean. Big deal if he got in a fights at bars a couple years ago. And I can't even fathom how having kids is a problem. A ton of these athletes have multiple kids, and some are by multiple women. What do you think goes on after the games are played?

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    But the dude's on the vile weed. It's all he lived for; more weed. He's quit and gone to the Himilayas to smoke weed. He loves weed. Gotta have it man.
    Ha. Yeah, damn that terrible stuff.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

I'm convinced some of you are either 1. 1,000 years old or 2. jehovah's witnesses. I have never seen such an uproar over marijuana. We legitimately might have got the best corner in the entire draft but since he got busted smoking weed twice we shouldn't of taken the chance.

I could only imagine what you guys were like in college. I'd assume av, RFRH and mh-i friday/saturday nights, while in college, consisted of reading a couple hundred pages from their bible and trying to enlighten the other students to get them to stop partying and mating like rabbits.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Guys, i am 100% supportive of the pick> But, lets not say that he got busted twice. What do you think it takes for florida to kick out an all american football player for weed. Trust me, they dont have a zero tolerance policy down there. I have a buddy who has been a gator season ticket holder for 15 years and is active with the alumni football club. This is not fact, but speculation among gator fans (who of course didnt want him kicked out) was that it took at least five and probably more positive tests before they cut him loose.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    RealRam likes this.

taz291819 is offline Registered User

Seahawks fan here, just wanted to give ya'll some kudos on the Janoris pick.

I'll give you a little background on myself. I film the football games for the University of North Alabama, and produce and direct their coaches' shows. I travel with the team on away games, stay at the same hotel, and interact quite a bit with the coaches, staff, and players. 90% of the highlights you see on youtube regarding Janoris' time with UNA, I shot that. With that said, I'd like to calm any concerns about Janoris' off-field troubles.

Last season, Janoris didn't get into any trouble off the field. The only time he got into any trouble on the field was at a home game, when he was ejected from the game at the beginning of the third quarter. Basically, he was on his butt in the endzone after breaking up a play, and was surrounded by 5 or 6 players from the other team. Those players moved in closer, talking smack while he was on the ground, and it looked like Janoris punched a guy in the groin. I watched the video I shot over and over, and it was kind of hard to tell, though regardless, he was ejected for the rest of that game, and couldn't play the first half of the next game.

As I said, I traveled with the team, so I also got to hear all the gossip and info on the players. Never once did I hear anything about Janoris having fathered 3 children, he definitely kept that one to himself. I also never once heard of Janoris getting into it with any teammates, though I'll admit, I rode on the offense's bus. But I would be around all of the players at the hotel. No issues there.

Being up in the media booth (at both away and home games), just about every opposing teams staff would ask me, "Which one is Janoris?" Everyone was excited to see him play, for obvious reasons.

At the Arkansas Tech game (at Arkansas), after the game I was outside one of the buses and was approached by three Arkansas Tech fans. They asked if Janoris was around, because they were big fans of his when he played at Florida. I ask one of the UNA players to see if Janoris is on the defense's bus yet, and if so, ask him if he wants to meet some fans.

Without hesitation, Janoris comes off the bus, signs some autographs, takes pictures with the opposing team's fans, and chats with them for a good 5 minutes or so.

All in all, I wouldn't worry too much about character issues with Janoris.

Good luck next season! (Just not against us)

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post
    Seahawks fan here, just wanted to give ya'll some kudos on the Janoris pick.

I'll give you a little background on myself. I film the football games for the University of North Alabama, and produce and direct their coaches' shows. I travel with the team on away games, stay at the same hotel, and interact quite a bit with the coaches, staff, and players. 90% of the highlights you see on youtube regarding Janoris' time with UNA, I shot that. With that said, I'd like to calm any concerns about Janoris' off-field troubles.

Last season, Janoris didn't get into any trouble off the field. The only time he got into any trouble on the field was at a home game, when he was ejected from the game at the beginning of the third quarter. Basically, he was on his butt in the endzone after breaking up a play, and was surrounded by 5 or 6 players from the other team. Those players moved in closer, talking smack while he was on the ground, and it looked like Janoris punched a guy in the groin. I watched the video I shot over and over, and it was kind of hard to tell, though regardless, he was ejected for the rest of that game, and couldn't play the first half of the next game.

As I said, I traveled with the team, so I also got to hear all the gossip and info on the players. Never once did I hear anything about Janoris having fathered 3 children, he definitely kept that one to himself. I also never once heard of Janoris getting into it with any teammates, though I'll admit, I rode on the offense's bus. But I would be around all of the players at the hotel. No issues there.

Being up in the media booth (at both away and home games), just about every opposing teams staff would ask me, "Which one is Janoris?" Everyone was excited to see him play, for obvious reasons.

At the Arkansas Tech game (at Arkansas), after the game I was outside one of the buses and was approached by three Arkansas Tech fans. They asked if Janoris was around, because they were big fans of his when he played at Florida. I ask one of the UNA players to see if Janoris is on the defense's bus yet, and if so, ask him if he wants to meet some fans.

Without hesitation, Janoris comes off the bus, signs some autographs, takes pictures with the opposing team's fans, and chats with them for a good 5 minutes or so.

All in all, I wouldn't worry too much about character issues with Janoris.

Good luck next season! (Just not against us)
    Dude, thats frickin awesome!

THE DREAM TEAM

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Jenkins on his off the field issues

It’s weird because I had those kids while I was playing college football and it didn’t affect me not once,” Jenkins said. “I’m proud to have my four kids. If they want to throw that in my face, so be it. Everybody has kids. Where in the book do it say you can’t have kids? It doesn’t say that in the law. I’m a great father. I’m there whenever they need me
    North Alabama cornerback Janoris Jenkins was dismissed from the University of Florida football program after three arrests: two possession of marijuana charges and another stemming from a bar fight. However, Jenkins was emphatic in denying a report that he allegedly kept using marijuana after enrolling at North Alabama where he was subject to a zero-tolerance policy.

"I wasn't smoking marijuana at North Alabama," Jenkins said in a telephone interview. "If anybody wants to know, they can give my coaches a call. I wasn't partying. They've been saying a lot of things about me that aren't true withuot getting my side of the story. It's been a humbling experience.

"You've got to be a man, you've got to be honest and straightforward. I've matured. My past is my past. People can judge me for how far I've come. I want to know why all of a sudden this is out there about me. Why didn't it come out after the combine when I was straightforward with the scouts? The timing is very interesting to me."

According to Jenkins' defensive coordinator at North Alabama, Jenkins, 23, didn't violate a zero tolerance contract that included random drug testing. He also had a community service requirement.

Tony Pecoraro, Jenkins' defensive coordinator last season at North Alabama, backed up Jenkins' story.

"Of course, he got drug tested when he was there and he passed those tests," Pecoraro told Scout. "For him to get into school, our athletic director put in a bunch of stipulations and he had to do community service hours, do a mentoring program, take random drug tests. If anything had come back positive from those, he wouldn't have been out there. It was a zero tolerance policy. He did everything we asked him to do."

Last year, Jenkins was a second-team All-American selection who finished second nationally with a 21.7 punt return average as he returned three punts for touchdowns.

He also had 53 tackles, two interceptions, four pass deflections and two fumble recoveries.

"Coaching him was fun and easy," Pecoraro said. "He makes you a hell of a lot better coach. He was a great kid for us. He came in from Florida, and it could have went a bunch of different ways.

"He could have come in with an ego, but he did not. He bought into us. I can't say enough good things about him. The players loved him. He did a hell of a job for us."

Jenkins has four children with three women.

He insists that won't be a distraction and that they provide motivation for him to make it in the NFL to give them the best possible financial situation.

"When I was at Florida, I had these same kids and I was playing at a high level and nobody said anything bad about it," Jenkins said. "I'm proud of my kids. I love them. I will raise them as their dad.

"I don't know why I happen to be a guy who people want to tear down. I don't listen to what they have to say. When I was a kid, my dad always told me you will face adversity and you will make some mistakes. You can either stay at the bottom of the hill or you can climb back to the top."

Jenkins has visited the Philadelphia Eagles, Indianapolis Colts and the St. Louis Rams.

Jenkins said he had positive meeting with Eagles coach Andy Reid and other NFL coaches.

"Coach Reid is a great guy, very cool, very straightforward," Jenkins said. "He kept it honest. He told me what he liked about me and some of the things he didn't like. He told me I was a great cornerback and doesn't think I'm a bad guy. He just said I made some mistakes.

"I get great feedback from NFL teams. Certain teams told me they thought I would be a thuggish kid with baggy jeans or one of those wild guys. When they meet me, they see I'm not a bad kid. I just made some mistakes and everybody makes mistakes. The NFL is going to get a good person who will give back and reach out to kids and talk about the things I've done in my past and talk to them about not making the same mistakes I made."

It's unclear where Jenkins is going to land in the draft next week.

There's little doubt that his stock has been damaged by his off-field problems.

Nonetheless, Jenkins has excellent coverage skills and that's a rare trait coveted in today's pass-first NFL.

Among the rumored landing spots for Jenkins if he goes in the first round: the New England Patriots and the Cincinnati Bengals.

He's not expected to have a long wait should he slip into the second round.

"They'll get a steal," Pecoraro said. "I know he had some issues as a young man, but sometimes you make mistakes. He got a second chance and he took full advantage of it. Any team that gets him, you can't get a better football player: physical, smart, fast, can cover in zone or man. He did it against top receivers. He's already guarded them and shut them down."

Jenkins excelled at the Senior Bowl all-star game.

Before leaving Florida, Jenkins fared well against future Cincinnati Bengals Pro Bowl wide receiver A.J. Green and Atlanta Falcons starter Julio Jones. He held them to an average of 38 yards per game.

At the NFL scouting combine, he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.46 seconds and had a 10-1 broad jump.

For the Gators, he had 121 tackles, eight interceptions and 25 pass deflections in 36 career starts.

Jenkins' talent is unquestioned. However, teams want to find a comfort level with him as a person, though.

"Whoever gets me will get a competitor, somebody who works hard, a team player and a shutdown cornerback," Jenkins said. "Whoever skips over me, they're going to regret it now and later."
    jmk321 likes this.

lostsoul is offline Registered User

Marijuana is THE mostly deadly drug out there. I hope Jenkins has fun getting AIDS from sharing used pot needles .

#sarcasm
    THOLTFAN81 and Fettmaster like this.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Please add the post in this thread by our friend the seahawks fan to the required reading list for all rams fans. In fact, i would strongly urge the mods to put it up as a separate thread. Its worthy of independent reading and will likely impact the view of many on this board. It sure makes me feel better. I think we stole this kid and when brokers and quick develop as well, we are going to have a draft that goes down as one of the great ones in recent memory.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    RealRam, Fettmaster and md8 like this.

shower beers is offline Registered User

The argument on whether or not it was the right pick is a moot point. Jenkins plays for us now, it's time to get on board. It's an exciting time to be a Ram's fan!
    rammiser likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Talent? No doubt! --- RISK / CHALLENGE? ... quite obvious.

Hopefully JJ will now begin a more serious process of maturation. NOW. Hopefully he's smart enough now to not be as stupid anymore as in college.

This rookie seems to be cocky, bordering perhaps on being cynical. That's ok. I just hope this attitude of his (justifying having four random children at his age; seeing his problems with the law -- tasered, arrested, etc. -- college suspension -- MAJOR issues ... as "only his past", will, with the guidance of NFL counselors and coaches, i.e., mentors, help him open up his eyes and smell the future as a career, not as another step to screw up over and over. Especially after those first few pro paychecks are handed him as someone else already mentioned here.

I certainly don't like the baggage he comes with but I'm supporting this selection and wish JJ a positive, successful career with the Rams. Success may be spooky for a 23 year old like this Jack Rabbit (his alias at UNA) but he's fortunate to have powerful, professional people willing to help him grow.

Last edited by RealRam; -04-29-2012 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Photo

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345