Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

2014 OC Candidate?

Assuming Schotty gets fired at the end of the season, who would you guys want as our new OC. I don't mind Bradford having to go through starting over again. Alex Smith did that more than Bradford and he managed to rebound into a solid QB.

I'd like to start off with Hue Jackson, he managed to give the Raiders a 7-4 start right until he started getting more control of the team. With Fisher, there should be good equilibrium between the two controlling the offense.

While Schotty ruined the game for us in the end, I'll still give him credit for making excellent running lanes for Stacy. But I have zero faith in his consistency to finish games for us when it's on the line.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

lostsoul is offline Registered User

Re: 2014 OC Candidate?

I think Schotty had a lot of great calls this game running the football.

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    He tries to out think it. I loved his playcalls but in red zone he went blank.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Let me start by saying that I doubt the Rams will make a change.

That said, here's a name to consider: Gary Kubiak. I think he's done as HC in Houston, but could be great as an OC.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

The Rams record in 1 score games since 2012: 5-6-1. I don't think his inability to finish out a game with a backup QB is grounds for firing but I do agree that his lack of creativity and inability to get Tavon Austin involved in the offense are concerning. I don't think he's a good OC but making Sam start over again seems like it would do more harm than good. I say keep him around another season and if the young receivers and offense still don't improve then it's time to move on.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Note: I'm not saying we should fire him (I might be implying it ) but I want your thoughts on who would you guys want assuming we did.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

The question for me is teaching staff. Fisher said it himself on his show last week; if guys like Quick keep making the same mistakes, it reflects more & more on them. No play call would have looked good/been successful with that execution on the goal line.

That said, I hated the freakin' calls as well...lol....with Stacy dinged, I'm fine with a pass but let Clemens move . He's like The Sundance Kid....but with cataracts and a bad beard. He shoots from the hip, not trick shots like that fade.

If they can find someone to run the same scheme but has a better feel for who does what well & the flow of a game, I'd be fine with it. Otherwise fuhgeddabouddit. Too many mistakes for the case against Schotty to be termination-worthy unless someone special can be found to work within those criteria.Do we really want Sam coming back from an injury to a significantly different scheme/staff , never mind all these young guys ? We bit on this pipedream with McDaniels; I'm not for it again.

Definitely think a few position coaches (WR,TE, RB) should start updating their rezzies, though.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

You may say "but we have a backup quarterback in" but remember, Clemens is Schotty's backup quarterback. He would not be here if not for that. So Clemens' failings do reflect on him.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    You may say "but we have a backup quarterback in" but remember, Clemens is Schotty's backup quarterback. He would not be here if not for that. So Clemens' failings do reflect on him.
    I'm sure the connection influenced the decision but Fisher has final say on the roster. Failing to keep Davis as the #3 or bring in a better vet was a huge mistake. i think you're right that Schotty showed a poor feel for a QB he's worked with for such a long time by not playing to his strengths enough.That IS weird and frustrating.

Not sure that either the OC or the QB was responsible for the drops & penalties, though. It just isn't clear-cut,imo.

kman is offline Registered User

im pretty certain he wont get fired, just wishful thinking..i would take ANYONE at this point..ANYONE!!

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Let me start by saying that I doubt the Rams will make a change.

That said, here's a name to consider: Gary Kubiak. I think he's done as HC in Houston, but could be great as an OC.
    Agree about there not being a change. Disagree on Kubiak. We don't have the personnel to run the zone-based offense (primarily up front) he loves to implement.

We screwed up not hiring Hue Jackson initially. If Schotty gets fired, it will be Frank Cignetti who takes the reigns. Fisher said as much a short while ago when BS was getting interviewed for the Jaguars head coaching job.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    Agree about there not being a change. Disagree on Kubiak. We don't have the personnel to run the zone-based offense (primarily up front) he loves to implement.

We screwed up not hiring Hue Jackson initially. If Schotty gets fired, it will be Frank Cignetti who takes the reigns. Fisher said as much a short while ago when BS was getting interviewed for the Jaguars head coaching job.
    I remember Fisher making reassuring noises about continuity but not anointing Cignetti. Not sayin' he didn't but if he did, I have mixed feelings. Don't we have enough guys learning their role, rather than fulfilling it, already? Not at all convinced that this guy is a good teacher, either. Bradford's development,imo, has been steady but slow, almost as if he's improving despite the team/coaching. Certainly don't see anything in Davis' or KC's play to credit Cignetti with, either.

I'm not up on the young turk OCs but I'd rather find a Norv Turner or Trestman level of experience/success record if a change is made. Maybe a deposed HC with offensive credentials who'll need a few years of penitence before he gets another shot.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Whoever we hire, if we hire, having a parent who was or is an NFL coach or coordinator should automatically disqualify you.

No more nepotism.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Whoever we hire, if we hire, having a parent who was or is an NFL coach or coordinator should automatically disqualify you.

No more nepotism.
    Yup, that criterion needs to go for sure....lol....

Not really up for another Paduwan (sp ?) for Darth Stache to mold, either, but nor do I think Fisher will cede enough control to attract an OC with enough upside to me (experience/charisma/imagination) to offset the trauma of a major change.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -10-29-2013 at 02:04 AM.