throwback week

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By laram0
  • 1 Post By emuen

Thread: In 2014, Rams need to get out of the gate quicker.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

In 2014, Rams need to get out of the gate quicker.

In Jeff Fisher's two seasons with the Rams, there has been a sharp contrast between the team's record in the first and second halves of the season.

Weeks 1-8: 6-10
    Weeks 9-17*: 8-6-1

*One week remaining in 2013.

The question is... why?

It could be a mere anomaly, or the product of the whims of the schedule makers. I think there is a more likely explanation, though.

Youth.

The Rams have been playing with very young rosters, have incorporated many rookies, in the past two years. While the overall talent level has increased, continuity has suffered.

The side effects of this are obvious. The Rams have been inconsistent, and have lost games due to "unforced" mistakes and poor discipline. These types of issues have been more pronounced early in the seasons, when the young players are just focusing their eyes under the bright lights of the NFL.

So how do the Rams avoid this in 2014? Obviously, with two first round picks, and (likely) three of the top 50 selections in the draft, the Rams are going to add more young starters/contributers. Moreover, some of the 2013 class who saw limited action (i.e. Jones, Bailey) are likely to have bigger roles next year.

So, in light of this continued youth movement, will the Rams be able to come together in the first half of 2014 and avoid the hole that kept them from contending for a playoff spot in the last two years?

There are many possible answers, but one jumps to my mind: keep building the running game. If the Rams can continue to run the ball effectively, it lowers the "degree of difficulty" for the rest of the team. Sam Bradford's job gets much easier. The defense faces fewer plays and stays fresh into the 4th quarter. The opposing defense wears down.

Oh... and if the schedule makers can give us a couple of easier games in the first 4-5 weeks, that would be okay too.
    RealRam and live4ramin like this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: In 2014, Rams need to get out of the gate quicker.

I think it's the youth movement. 2014 we will have a lot of players with 2 years experience under Fisher plus the newbies from last season will have 1 year under their belts. I really feel like 2014 is when we get over the mediocre hump. Meaning we threaten for a playoff spot right til the very end of season. The unfortunate thing is that we play in the toughest division in the NFL which doesn't leave any room for let downs.
    Randart likes this.

emuen is offline Registered User

I have wondered what might happen at the start of next season. Will the coaching staff once again start up using a ot of the spread offence, or has the emergence of Zac Stacy done enough for them to abandon the philosophy they were aiming for at the start of this season?

I hope they stay with the power run game. Not only Stacy, but Harkey as well, have helped create a top run offence and I think you need to build on that. Of course it is not fun to pay your QB 17 million dollars to hand the ball of, but I think you need to build on a run game that is best in the league since week 7 (if I remember correctly).
    RealRam likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    In Jeff Fisher's two seasons with the Rams, there has been a sharp contrast between the team's record in the first and second halves of the season.

Weeks 1-8: 6-10
    Weeks 9-17*: 8-6-1

*One week remaining in 2013.

There are many possible answers, but one jumps to my mind: keep building the running game. If the Rams can continue to run the ball effectively, it lowers the "degree of difficulty" for the rest of the team. Sam Bradford's job gets much easier. The defense faces fewer plays and stays fresh into the 4th quarter. The opposing defense wears down.
    Very likely scenario, that of benefiting from an effective running game. I agree: keep building it!

I hope they stay with the power run game. Not only Stacy, but Harkey as well, have helped create a top run offence and I think you need to build on that. Of course it is not fun to pay your QB 17 million dollars to hand the ball of, but I think you need to build on a run game that is best in the league since week 7 (if I remember correctly).
    -- Emuen
    I'd sure like to see that Stacy, Harkey & RB Company continue!
    Last edited by RealRam; -12-23-2013 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Emuen quote