Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

With the 211th overall pick in the draft, the Rams select Chris Ogbonnaya, RB, Texas

Analysis to follow soon.

Height: 6'0"
    Weight: 220
    College: Texas
    Conference: Big 12
    Hometown: Missouri City, TX
    High School: Strake Jesuit
    View Combine Page >>

Combine Results:
    40 Yard Dash : 4.65 seconds
    Bench Press : 19.0 reps
    Vertical Jump : 35.0 inches
    Broad Jump : 11.0 inches
    3 Cone Drill : 6.85 seconds
    20 Yard Shuttle : 4.29 seconds

Overview
    One of the better stories in college football, Ogbonnaya finally got his chance to shine after Jamaal Charles declared for the 2008 draft. He entered his senior season having carried the ball only 66 times in three years and switching from tailback to receiver and back multiple times.

In Texas' Colt McCoy-driven offense (the quarterback was the leading passer and rusher), Ogbonnaya only managed 73 rushes for 373 yards and four scores n 2008, but his 46 catches for 540 yards and three touchdowns also caught scouts' eyes. His play on coverage units also makes him a draft-able prospect. Had an arm span of 31 5/8 inches and a hand span of 9 7/8 inches at the combine.

High School
    Coached by Ron Counter at Strake Jesuit ... Three-year letterman who helped his team post a 27-5 record during that time ... A versatile athlete who was Strake Jesuit's leading rusher, receiver and defensive back in helping his squad to a 9-2 mark as a senior ... Made 20 catches for 500 yards and four touchdowns with 270 yards rushing and two TDs that year ... Caught 22 passes for 530 yards and eight TDs with 500 yards rushing and eight more TDs as a junior ... Also returned a kickoff for a TD that year ... Led his team to an 8-3 record as a junior ... Earned Greater Houston Offensive Player of the Year honors that season ... Also had 57 tackles, three TFL and eight PBUs as a cornerback in 2002 ... Made four receptions for 115 yards and ran for a 70-yard TD vs. Bay City as a junior ... Had 30 receptions for 600 yards and 10 TDs and added five interceptions from his cornerback spot for a 10-0 squad his sophomore year ... Lettered in basketball for two years and was a senior captain ... Also lettered in track & field for three years.

Strengths:
    Naturally athletic...Very good size and bulk...Strong and runs hard...A patient runner...Excellent hands...Runs great routes...Above average blocker...Smart...Special teams ability...A hard worker...Team leader.

Weaknesses:
    Just average timed speed...Not real shifty or elusive...Runs with a high pad level...Isn't a big play threat...Poor change of change direction...Is inexperienced...Was not very productive...Limited upside...'Tweener?

Notes:
    Last name is pronounced "OH-bon-EYE-uh"...Began his college career as a wide receiver...Saw extensive action as a backup running back and special teamer from 2005-2007...Finally got an opportunity to play more as a senior and even earned 7 starts...A four-time Academic All-Big 12 selection...Was a semifinalist for the Draddy Trophy (Academic Heisman)...Has the ability to play either running back or fullback at the next level...Multitalented player who does everything well but nothing great...Could make a NFL roster as a versatile backup.
    Last edited by Nick; -04-26-2009 at 06:00 PM. Reason: photo added

jackson3909 is offline Registered User

Re: With the 211th overall pick in the draft, the Rams select Chris Ogbonnaya, RB, Te

that a really good pick i he has a chance to beat out leanord pittman and darby as our #2 back, since jackson has had some durablity issue. At least he can block and catch well, good value in the 7 round
    what a way to wrap up a pretty good draft.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Re: With the 211th overall pick in the draft, the Rams select Chris Ogbonnaya, RB, Te

Glad that they picked up a RB at last. Is a 4.65 40 a good time for a RB?

Also can it be known that myself, Barronwade, dgr828, dr.defense and Ramone were the only ones to see through all the rams picks in the chatroom.

SJacks039 is offline Registered User

Im pretty sure Rashad Jennings would have beat them out too.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jackson3909 View Post
    that a really good pick i he has a chance to beat out leanord pittman and darby as our #2 back, since jackson has had some durablity issue. At least he can block and catch well, good value in the 7 round
    what a way to wrap up a pretty good draft.
    I like the pick also,he played for Texas so that says something about him being pretty good,I do think he has a good shot because he does many things.I also think Leonards time here is coming to an end.

lostsoul is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    Glad that they picked up a RB at last. Is a 4.65 40 a good time for a RB?

Also can it be known that myself, Barronwade, dgr828, dr.defense and Ramone were the only ones to see through all the rams picks in the chatroom.
    You guys were logged in to the chat but most of the time no one was saying anything.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Woohoo. A LongHorn.

IsaacBruceFan80 is offline Registered User

I really like this pick. I think this guy will be the perfect compliment to S.Jax and will likely become a third down type back for the rams. He has great hands and catches the ball well. He also is a terrific blocker and a smart guy that picks up things quickly. His speed is really not why we drafted him. He is exactly what the Rams need in terms of a specialty type back IMO. This could turn out to be one of the better selections of day two for the Rams....

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by lostsoul View Post
    You guys were logged in to the chat but most of the time no one was saying anything.
    On the contrary, i think we were all talking through the 5th, 6th and 7th

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Had him in a mock a while back he is a big pounding back who is an excellent pass catcher and blocker. I think he can be a good backup.

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Quality pick in the 7th round. Goodbye Leonard...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

schut39 is offline Registered User

Man, he can't jump very far.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, huh? Oh yeah my turn to comment, OK.

Interesting very unique guy, if you look at youtube. He runs as if he's leading with his head. Might be successful in the NFL. We'll see. Good thing is there isn't a such thing as a "bust" 7th round draft pick?
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I think he will beat out Leonard. We can probably trade Leonard for a fourth round pick next year.

I like Darby though, I think he should stay a Ram.

Not too bad of a pick for a seventh rounder.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by schut39 View Post

Man, he can't jump very far.
    LOL ! I was thinking the same thing. Probably meant feet though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast