Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

With the 211th pick in the NFL Draft, the Rams select Marquis Johnson, DB, Alabama

Rams add more depth to their secondary, discuss!

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Re: With the 211th pick in the NFL Draft, the Rams select Marquis Johnson, DB, Alabam

TUSCALOOSA — One of the keys to Alabama’s defensive system is that often its cornerbacks are on an island.

Saturday night, there was lava flowing — or Stephen Garcia throwing — on Marquis Johnson’s island.

Johnson started for injured senior cornerback Javier Arenas. It didn’t take long for South Carolina to identify the lineup change.

The 5-foot-11, 190-pound senior from Sarasota, Fla., responded by tying a school record with six pass breakups — including a stunning second-quarter sequence in which he defended three consecutive fade passes in the end zone from the 5-yard line against 6-foot-4 receiver Alshon Jeffery.

“I knew they were going to throw at No. 1 (Jeffery). No. 1’s a big boy,” said the fast-talking, excitable Johnson after practice this week. “He’s big. He’s big.”

But three in a row?

“That was different. That’s a little more action,” he said. “But you gotta realize, I play every down like the ball’s coming my way.”

He had seen this before. Johnson was obviously targeted by Florida and Utah in the final two games of last season.

“I still have things to prove because of how I ended last year,” he said after the South Carolina game.

Asked what he meant by that, Johnson displayed the cockiness a cornerback must have. It’s similar to a closer who blew a lead in the ninth inning the night before. A short memory is a must.

“No matter who I play — Randy Moss — if he caught two passes on me, I want to at least knock down one. Catch four passes on me, I at least want to knock down two,” he said.

“Last year, I mean, they came at me three times and was 3-for-3. ... They say great players, you know, handle adversity and come back with a great play. ... And that’s what I didn’t get to prove last year at the end of last year. It’s just good to do that this year, South Carolina game.”

Gamecocks coach Steve Spurrier was asked about the three consecutive fade routes.

“We thought that was our best chance,” Spurrier said.

“Hopefully, someday we can run it in from the 5-yard line. We just didn’t think we could.”

By the time Johnson fended off the first two fades — he made a tremendous play on second down — he was eager for another shot.
    “The third time was a charm, but it didn’t work,” he said. “I didn’t want nothing complete on my side at all.”

He said felt singled out — and he talked to himself as much as his teammates were pumping him up.

“‘Oh, they come my way three times?’” he recalled thinking. “If anything, not disrespect or disrespectful, but in my head, just mental, my mindset, it was like, ‘Well let’s go. They want to come at you? What’s wrong with them?’ That’s what we said in the locker room. ‘What’s wrong with them? Coming your way. Let’s go ’Quis. All right, 2-4.’

“So that’s how I be feeling,” Johnson said. “I thank them for coming my way. It builds your confidence play after play after play. You repeatedly do the same thing that you practice everyday. Technique, technique.”

Ramone is offline Registered User

Re: With the 211th pick in the NFL Draft, the Rams select Marquis Johnson, DB, Alabam

I am proud of myself! I had him in seventh for us and it seems that only Devaney, at whole world, shared my opinion (he was out of all mocks, worldwide). I am very, very glad we took him. Maybe you noticed guy who had most atractive pass break-ups (new statistical category) in entire college football (if I overreact, than it's slightly). Even in Championship game, he had one in end zone, in front of Malcolm Williams to pevent TD for total Longhorns' comeback. My favourite underrated player. Very good pick.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Nick, give us some guidance on this guy. To many fans, i am sure we passed on the next tom brady to take this guy, but for those of us with no specific preference at this point, please give us an informed opinion.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Great find, there RY. Sounds promising!

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

Apparently Darrel Green has been helping him get prepared for the NFL.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

he probably had the most pass breakups because as the #3 CB on a team with a 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder starting, he was going to be picked on. Reality was that he likely would have started on any other team in the SEC.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Sounds like a legit pick at this point of the draft, maybe he can make it as a special teams guy. Of course, with our lack of pass rush, we probably need to add Lem Barney and Night Train Lane to have a chance realistically to cover down the field.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Alec22 is offline Registered User

I love what im hearing about him.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Camp body for sure...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Camp body for sure...
    Really? And tonight's winning lottery numbers are...?

Keenum is offline Registered User

I've watched this guy his whole college career, and this is a good pick. He struggled at times earlier in his career, but really came along last year. Of course, his performance in that South Carolina game is his career statement.
    He's great depth, and I think Spags should be able to help him along and give him at shot at starting one day.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Great pick, especially in the seventh round. HAven't seen much of the guy but the little i saw, i liked. Another physical guy who brings that energy and attitude, i love it

shower beers is offline Registered User

I love the kind of defense they run in Alabama, so I have to say I like the pick, and the value here. Don't count him out just because he wasn't a starter, instead look at who was above him on the depth chart.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

He was the third cornerback behind two guys who went in the first and second round, respectively. His time in the SEC under good coaching means he's probably fairly well prepared to play against a high level of competition. With Bartell, Fletcher, and Murphy likely holding down the top three CB spots, hopefully Johnson will be able to at least compete with Butler and King for the #4 and #5 spots.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast