Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: With the 226th pick in the NFL Draft, the Rams select George Selvie, DE, USF

That's awesome that he was projected as a 1st rounder. Sounds like a steal, can't wait for this season to start!

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: With the 226th pick in the NFL Draft, the Rams select George Selvie, DE, USF

ive just got in from work after having to leave just before we made our first 5th round pick..its like Rams christmas for me finding all these threads to open..

i love this pick..and with the Hall Davis one, we could have two steals..certainly more weapons for Spags to rotate in and out ..great value where we took him.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Now this guy I've heard of. Excellent value at this point in the draft. If the main issue is strength/bulk, let's see what an NFL training regime can do for him.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Pro Football Talk have already made an article that the Rams might have found a steal in the draft by taking this guy so late

In 2007, South Florida defensive end George Selvie terrorized quarterbacks in the Big East, finishing his sophomore season with 14.5 sacks. Thereafter, teams began to double-team and triple-team him. So his production naturally dropped.

In 2009, newcomer Jason Pierre-Paul benefited from all the attention paid to Selvie, and Pierre-Paul parlayed one season into a top-15 pick based on potential more than production.

Meanwhile, Selvie slid all the way to round seven and St. Louis. In his first conference call as a member of the Rams, he suggested that injury issues affected him last season, too.

"People say you might have [gone] higher," Selvie said. "Well, woulda coulda shoulda, it doesn't matter now. I'm in this position, I'm a St. Louis Ram, and I'm happy where I'm at."

The Rams could end up being happy, too.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

I was skipping for joy considering the positional value here. I hope this guy can live up to his lofty projections, my god this could be a steal.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    I think the reason his production dropped after his sophomore year was because teams started double teaming him, zoning him out.

That is why Jason Pierre Paul looked so good. Because teams would concentrate on Selvie instead.
    Devaney doesn't seem to agree...

(On if Pierre-Paul’s stats were enhanced by Selvie getting double teamed)

Devaney: “Well, maybe at the outset, but no. Pierre-Paul saw a lot of double teams also. He’s a great player. That doesn’t wash.”

I like the Selvie pick and I think he was good value in the seventh round, as I definitely would have expected him to go earlier (fourth or fifth maybe). But I think we need to be careful and temper expectations.

Yes, this was a guy talked about as a potential first rounder two seasons ago, but a lot has happened since then. Jevon Snead was talked about as a first rounder at some point as well, but went undrafted.

The Rams may have gotten a steal, but it's possible Selvie never becomes more than a special teamer as well. Let's just wait and see.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Devaney doesn't seem to agree...

I like the Selvie pick and I think he was good value in the seventh round, as I definitely would have expected him to go earlier (fourth or fifth maybe). But I think we need to be careful and temper expectations.

Yes, this was a guy talked about as a potential first rounder two seasons ago, but a lot has happened since then. Jevon Snead was talked about as a first rounder at some point as well, but went undrafted.

The Rams may have gotten a steal, but it's possible Selvie never becomes more than a special teamer as well. Let's just wait and see.

Good point. And regardless, he'll have to take at least a couple of years to grow, physically and otherwise, into that role.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Yeah, while he may turn out great, he was taken in the seventh round, and passed on by every team multiple times!

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    From Draft Countdown

Strengths:
    Lanky frame with long arms --- Explosive with a burst to close --- Quick with good playing speed --- Can bend off the edge --- Good balance, agility and body control --- Active with a non-stop motor --- Does a terrific job in pursuit --- Great range --- Uses his hands well --- Good instincts --- Tough --- Physical --- Real productive --- Lots of experience.

Weaknesses:
    Undersized --- Struggles to add and maintain weight --- Just average athleticism --- Has to get stronger --- Doesn't hold up very well versus the run --- Has trouble getting off blocks --- Plays too tall at times --- Is not real fluid in space --- Minor durability concerns --- Position change ?

Notes:
    Was a four-year starter for the Bulls --- A two-time All-American ('07 & '08) --- Garnered All-Big East honors in 2007, 2008 and 2009 --- A Buick rolled off of a car jack and onto his head as an infant --- Father was in the military and moved around a lot as a youngster --- Played center in high school and began his college career at just 217 pounds --- Was hampered by an ankle injury in 2008 --- Enjoyed a fantastic sophomore campaign but play dropped off sharply the next two seasons --- Was never the elite pro prospect that some made him out to be early in his career --- Classic 'tweener who profiles as a situational pass rusher in a 4-3 defense or perhaps even an outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme.

I wish somebody had more information on this and why he is still alive if that really happened. I feel that a car rolling onto anyone's head would kill them immediately.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12