Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By live4ramin

Thread: With the 228th pick in the 2011 Draft, the Rams take Jabara Williams, LB, SFA

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

With the 228th pick in the 2011 Draft, the Rams take Jabara Williams, LB, SFA

Height: 6017
    Weight: 228
    40 Yrd Dash: 4.57
    20 Yrd Dash: 2.65
    10 Yrd Dash: 1.48 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 17
    Vertical Jump: 36 1/2
    Broad Jump: 09'10"
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.30
    3-Cone Drill: 7.04

NFL Draft Scout:

Overview

This four-year starter for the Lumberjacks has been on the radar of NFL scouts the past two seasons because of his athleticism and extreme production. In fact, Williams is one of the few players in the country who has actually played both sides of the ball. He started three games at running backs (46-230-1 rushing) and seven at linebacker (58 tackles, 3.5 tackles, 0.5 sacks) as a true freshman.

Coaches decided to keep him solely on defense the following season, and all Williams did was earn the first of three straight first-team All-Southland honors in 2008, racking up 123 tackles, six for loss, three interceptions and two tackles for loss. As a junior, he was again among SLC leaders in tackles with 113 (including 9.5 for loss and two sacks), broke up seven passes and forced two fumbles.

His 108-tackle senior season (6.5 for loss, 1.5 sacks) didn't hurt his stock among scouts, either, and he earned a spot in the NFLPA All-Star Game. Though he will move outside at the next level, this draft lacks enough true 4-3 outside linebacker prospects so Williams' speed, toughness and potential as a special teams demon may be coveted by teams late in the draft.

Analysis

Positives: Tall with long arms needed to play outside. Good striker, plants ballcarriers coming into his area. Shifty enough to squeeze through creases to the ball. Joins piles and pushes them backwards. Dips shoulder to get under lineman's pads and get the ballcarrier. Agile enough to stay with smaller running backs and tight ends into the flat. Plays with some attitude, won't back down from challenges. Adept on special teams due to straight-line speed, secure tackling and toughness.

Negatives: Best on the edge, inconsistent finding the ball through trash and is often engulfed by linemen blocks because he lacks bulk. Stands too upright in his stance, needs knee bend to change directions more fluidly. Must learn how to drop into zones at an appropriate angle. Inexperienced at using his hands to knock tight ends off their route.

National Football Post:
    A thin, undersized linebacker prospect who lacks ideal girth through the lower half and has really thin legs and calves. Possesses inconsistent instincts inside. Doesn't always trust what he sees quickly and seems a half second too late when trying to make his way into the backfield. Does a nice job keying off blocking and playing with the proper leverage. However, lacks the size to be able to hold up at the point of attack and if he doesn't beat the block up the field upright he can easily be washed away from the play. Doesn't exhibit much anchor strength and struggles to hold up inside when run at. Displays above average range in pursuit, but really struggled to consistently break down and wrap up in both a phone booth and in space vs. better competition. Too often would overrun angles, lose balance and not break down on his man.

Displays some natural depth in his drop and possesses above average fluidity when asked to open up his hips and get out of his breaks. However, doesn't really sit into his stance in his drop. Allows his pad level to get too upright, which takes away from his balance and ability to cleanly click and close on the football. Is routinely forced to regain balance before getting after the football, which really takes away form his initial burst when asked to close. Again, takes inconsistent angles toward the ball carrier after completions and doesn't look nearly fluid enough or instinctive enough to make the move to safety at the next level.

Impression: An undersized, small school weakside backer who has been productive and exhibits some straight-line speed. But needs to make his mark on special teams if he hopes to have a shot of making a roster in year one, because physically and mentally he's not to see the field as a linebacker yet and maybe never will.
    Last edited by Nick; -04-30-2011 at 06:21 PM.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Re: With the 228th pick in the 2011 Draft, the Rams take Jabara Williams, LB, SFA

Hey, a linebacker! Sweet!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: With the 228th pick in the 2011 Draft, the Rams take Jabara Williams, LB, SFA

Pure WLB. 400+ tackles in 4 years.

Trivia: Jeremiah Trotter also went to SFA.

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

I dig it... jabargh... I don't know why he sounds like a pirate to me... either way i think he is my favorite of the draft at this very very trivial point

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Solid pick. I think he will be starting.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Good pick. Looks like a nice young developmental type player with some upside. Highly doubt he starts seeing as how all of the teams lb's already know the system and he needs to bulk up, but good pick.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

I'm guessing his mom was a Star Wars fan.

Part Jaba, Part JarJar. Not a good omen.

Lord I apologise.....
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER likes this.
    Kiss my ass, football gods

BM_Face is offline Registered User

Looks like a Special Teams starter for sure. I can also see him competing for a LB job, he has great size and speed.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BM_Face View Post
    Looks like a Special Teams starter for sure. I can also see him competing for a LB job, he has great size and speed.
    He is undersized but has great speed.