Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

With the 229th pick in the 2011 Draft, the Rams take Jonathan Nelson, FS, Oklahoma

Height: 5107
    Weight: 198
    40 Yrd Dash: 4.54
    20 Yrd Dash: 2.55
    10 Yrd Dash: 1.47
    225 Lb. Bench Reps: 22
    Vertical Jump: 43
    Broad Jump: 11'04"
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.12
    3-Cone Drill: 6.84

Sporting News:
    Height: 5-11

Weight: 197

Current Projection: Seventh-round pick/free agent signing

Strengths: Is a tough, aggressive safety who doesn’t hesitate to come up and hit big ballcarriers. Reads the run well and moves upfield very quickly in run support. Will fight through blocks to make tackles. When he stays under control, he can make strong tackles with good technique. Shows excellent hustle chasing down ballcarriers across the field or downfield. Does a good job of reading the quarterback and closes quickly and aggressively on passes in front of him. Doesn’t hesitate to blow up receivers after the ball arrives.

Weaknesses: For a strong safety prospect, he lacks size and can be overpowered even when he uses good tackling technique. It doesn’t happen often, but it will be a bigger issue against heavier, stronger backs in the NFL. With his desire to make hard hits, he often leaves his feet to launch himself at ballcarriers. That, in turn, leads to too many missed tackles. Though he is quick to close on passes in front of him, he doesn't show the speed or closing burst to get out to the sideline to help with over-the-top coverage. Quarterbacks can fit passes over cornerbacks well before he gets there.

Bottom line: Nelson is coming off a good first season as a full-time starter, moving himself from a non-prospect to a late-round prospect. Though he is more than tough enough and willing to make hard hits and tackles in run support, his lack of size and inconsistent tackling technique will likely lead to problems in the NFL. Though he is effective at coming up and tackling receivers after the catch, he doesn’t show the ball skills to break up passes consistently. Nelson might not be worth drafting because he doesn’t have starting potential. But he would be an excellent free-agent pickup because he has the skills to be a backup safety and solid special teams player.

Fourth double-digit tackle game of his career with 11 at Texas A&M ... chased down Cincinnati's DJ Woods from behind after a 69-yard reception, forcing a fumble at the OU nine-yard line that was recovered by Quinton Carter in the Sooner end zone.

All-Big 12 honorable mention by the coaches ... All-Big 12 Academic second team ... started season as backup defensive back before moving into the starting lineup for the final three games of the season ... had a career-high 11 tackles vs. Texas Tech ... had one intercerption in each of the final three games of the season ... collected first career sack against BYU ... forced a fumble against Texas A&M.

Saw action in four games as a member of the special teams ... recorded a career-high three tackles in season opener against Chattanooga ... collected two tackles each against Cincinnati and Washington.

Saw action against North Texas and Colorado.

Redshirted

High School
    A three-year starter at cornerback ... recorded only one interception and a handful of break-ups during his senior season when opponents stayed away from his side of the field ... rated the No. 10 cornerback and the No. 112 player in the nation by ESPN.com ... helped the Jaguars to a 9-4 record in the 4-5A district ... made 40 tackles, one interception and four fumble recoveries as a junior ... also a standout sprinter on the track team ... coached by Kyle Geller.

• No. 10 CB in the nation (ESPN.com)
    • No. 112 player in the ESPN 150 (ESPN.com)
    • No. 13 CB (CollegeFootballNews.com)
    • No. 19 CB (Scout.com)
    • Rivals.com Rivals250 2006
    • No. 19 cornerback in the nation (Rivals.com)
    • No. 27 in the preseason Texas Top 100 (Rivals.com)
    • No. 23 in the postseason Texas Top 100 (Rivals.com)
    • PrepStar All-American
    • No. 30 player in Texas (SuperPrep)
    • No. 41 DB in the nation (SuperPrep)
    • SuperPrep All-American

Personal
    Son of Brian and Pamela Nelson ... accounting major.

Jonathan Wilson Video Diary from Sooners Website
    Last edited by Nick; -04-30-2011 at 06:28 PM.

Fettmaster is online now Registered User

Re: With the 229th pick in the 2011 Draft, the Rams take Jonathan Nelson, FS, Oklahom

FS, CB or both?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: With the 229th pick in the 2011 Draft, the Rams take Jonathan Nelson, FS, Oklahom

I'd say this is a FS prospect.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Nice pick. Great depth and probably a good STer.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

I wonder if he beats out stewart for the job or does stewart even have the job at fs.

BM_Face is online now Registered User

Bench presses 325 and squat 455 pounds … Has a 40-inch vertical leap …

I like what I read out this young man's instincts and willingness to attack the line of scrimmage.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

MACD is offline Registered User

Fastest Sooner.

live4ramin is online now Registered User

A dinuitive workout wonder, ala Archeleta?
    "The horror"

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Boomer Sooner!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

Here's some of his highlights, he's showing some nice flashes of being capable of replacing Atogwe. He'll fit well in Spags's hidden defense packages.

BM_Face is online now Registered User

Nice little local article with a Q&A at the end.

BY WILLIAM WILKERSON
    wwilkerson@star-telegram.com

The calls began in the fifth round on the third and final day of the 2011 NFL Draft for former Mansfield Summit defensive back Jonathan Nelson. He figured that was the earliest he would be drafted, if at all.

His family rushed to his side every time he picked up the phone on the couch inside their Arlington home when teams told him he might be their next selection. But the fifth round came and went, and so did the sixth without the call they were anticipating.

Finally, midway through the seventh and final round, a call came from the secretary of the St. Louis Rams, who got Nelson in touch with team general manager Billy Devaney, head coach Steve Spagnuolo, defensive coordinator Ken Flajole and secondary coach Clayton Lopez. They were taking the 5-foot-11, 198-pounder out of Oklahoma with the 229th pick of the draft.

"This time, for whatever reason, the one time my family didn't run toward me for the news was the time that I got drafted," said Nelson, a 2006 Summit graduate who was the Oklahoma Sooners' second-leading tackler last season as a strong safety. "I got off the phone, hung it up and didn't have too much of an excited face and just looked toward my mom and told her. She just blew up. Then my dad [former Minnesota Vikings receiver Brian Nelson] and my brother tumbled down the stairs. Then we all saw my name on the TV. People were going crazy."

Nelson, a well-spoken, former All-American player at Summit, reflects on the draft experience:
    What was your feeling going into the draft on when and where you might be selected?

I was a guy that was just hoping to be drafted. I knew that I was a late-round draft [prospect] and that my round projection could fluctuate anywhere from the fifth to seventh round.

Did you have any workouts with any teams, go to the combine, anything of that nature?

I had a big private workout where about 20 or more scouts came and watched me work out [at Highland Park High School on April 4]. That went pretty well.
    What were you doing to prepare for the draft? I did all of my training in California for three months with Athletes Performance. They did a really good job with everything up there.

Describe the feeling when you were drafted?

The first thing that goes through your mind is all of those times in high school that you were working out when no one else was working out. Or all of those times in college when you gave it your all in a workout. When you sit back and think about all the work you put in, it is kind of jaw dropping. I'm just blessed that it happened.

Have you talked with former OU and current Rams quarterback Sam Bradford, and are you excited for that reunion?

I briefly talked with him, but it was more so I could get [linebacker] James Laurinaitis' number to get acquainted with him. That should be cool to reunite with Sam because we are in the same OU class. I've obviously known him for a long time. Just to be up there with a guy from OU I know pretty well should be fun.

What have you heard from the Rams about their expectations for you?

Is there a chance you could move to free safety? I don't have any expectations right now. I'm not really a guy that likes to dive into speculation. I'd rather just move up there, do my job and see where that takes me.

What have you been doing since you got drafted?

With the lockout, the coaches can't call me and I can't call the coaches. I am just trying to stay in shape so when I get up there I can compete and have an immediate impact in whatever we are doing.

What can you say to those playing football at Mansfield Summit who have dreams of getting to where you are?

I'd tell them that there were a whole lot of other guys that were just as good as me in football at some point. But the thing that separated me from those guys is hard work and sticking to it. You have to go through adversity and work really, really hard. You can't halfway do it. You can't just have one foot in the door. You have to be all the way in there. You don't want to find excuses.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Nice article.
    Semper Fi!

thoey is offline Registered User

Agree, nice article.

I briefly talked with him, but it was more so I could get [linebacker] James Laurinaitis' number to get acquainted with him. That should be cool to reunite with Sam because we are in the same OU class. I've obviously known him for a long time. Just to be up there with a guy from OU I know pretty well should be fun.
    With the lockout, the coaches can't call me and I can't call the coaches. I am just trying to stay in shape so when I get up there I can compete and have an immediate impact in whatever we are doing.
    Sooner he meets up and starts working out with his new captain, the better prepared he'll be to make the roster...
    This space for rent...

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post
    Agree, nice article.

Sooner he meets up and starts working out with his new captain, the better prepared he'll be to make the roster...
    Is that....dare I say, a pun???

thoey is offline Registered User

Well, not intentionally...

This space for rent...