Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24 Hours Later

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

24 Hours Later

How do you truly look at yesterday's loss?

Are you embarrassed? Mad? Numb? Encouraged?

Yes, I said encouraged.

Me? Well, I saw good AND bad - mostly bad. The game was headed towards being a close one until someone counted to 12. At that moment, as soon as the ref made his decision, the entire team seems to have lost the will to win.

I saw a passionate group of players. Sure, they made mistakes, but at least they had desire. I saw a team that made a lot of rookie errors, even some by the veterans.

And I saw a team that didn't finish what they started.

I did see a lot of young guys that need time to develop. That's something that 90% of us on this board seem to forget - that the team is mostly a bunch of kids running around with stars in their eyes. Give them time - no one here really expected us to go 16-0 this season. Personally, I expected more from these guys, but after 24 hours, I settled down and figured out we tossed a bunch of kids into the NFL and as fans, we expected them all to play like superstars.

Next week, we'll see if they can skin the Redskins. I'd bet that there will be changes made before then, and we'll see those changes on the field.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Re: 24 Hours Later

Honestly im just sick reading the same content but just different thread. Someone had a thread yesterday that was titled if ur part of the clan answer this or something like that which basically had the same question. .

Yea it was bad yesterday but can we just move on? We go into DC and face the skins next so lets look forward to adjustments instead of feeling bad about how we got shutout.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I just went back to watch most of the game again & come away encouraged for all the reasons you mentioned, Sam.

Sure there were disappointing and frustrating prformances; Cogs and Little,for example.

I also thought concerns over Bulger's finger were largely allayed. He threw with accuracy & velocity most of the time.

The working relationship between OJ and Butler continues to impress.

Bulger's completions and near misses to Laurent show me that LR's preseason performance wasn't a fluke. Not as consistent on either guy's part to declare him the next Holt but highly promising.

I thought both top rookies played their hearts out and did much more good than bad on a tough day.

The run and pass D seems to have exactly the same problems that the NYG had under Spags at the start of '07. They largely contain the run game overall but allow a big play here and there which turn the game's course significantly.

Same kind of thing for the pass D; TEs & possession WRs had big days vs NYG in their first losses esp. Witten 6 for 116, Driver 8/73.

That changed in Wash for the NYG. Portis ground out his yards but no biggies & Cooley was contained.
    V. little QB pressure; I think a sack a game for the DL in those first contests.
    The same things vs The Hags for The Rams. Dunno if Spags has the horses up front to fix them as fast as he did in NY or enough offense altogether but now that I've looked again, it sure seems like the defense has the same growing pains.

The last and certainly not least thing that encourages me is that there were, to my knowledge, no catastrophic injuries to key players.
    The same young talent and important vets are likely to start next week. Rarely happened in the last two seasons.

I hope Spoon and Hall were only dinged. And that Cogs' shock collar doesn't get lost at baggage claim this trip.

bellingerga is offline Registered User

I thought Laurinaitis kicked some major arse for you guys, and Laurent was very good.

Im reading alot of rams fans say they think Bulger needs to go. Unforunately alot of fan bases are very reactionary, and the Quarterback always seems to get the blame, but lets face it, he's just 1 man. I think you guys need a better o line coach, and a full team defense good enough to allow your offense to actually execute the run first mentality your team is built around. You cant really pound the rock if you're playing catch up all the time.

All in all though, there was improvement in rams land, even though a shutout makes it hard to see. The future is definitely bright for your young guys, but 1 draft isn't gonna make all the difference. If you have a decent front office they will give spags time to build the team in his image, instead of firing him after 1 bad season.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I am still upset about the loss. I wanted a win and I expected a much better performance. At the moment I am working on lowering my expectations for the season and trying to be happy that we did not suffer any real injuries in this game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

btimsah Guest

I'm in an odd situation. I think our defense is in a better position, with a better coach and some players to succeed. But, as long as Bulger is playing behind that offensive line.. We won't be scoring much. Same as last two years. Sad.

bellingerga is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by btimsah View Post
    I'm in an odd situation. I think our defense is in a better position, with a better coach and some players to succeed. But, as long as Bulger is playing behind that offensive line.. We won't be scoring much. Same as last two years. Sad.
    sometimes the top pick O linemen, and high dollar free agents just end up being a bust, its unfortunate, Im not a ram fan but if im correct, you guys have a decent amount of money spent on that O line right?

Anyway, as a seahawks fan, we're kind of facing the same thing in Chris Spencer, we drafted him in the first round and he's just been gawd awful for us, it seems like even Vallos is an upgrade at this point.

Just never know how college skill is going to translate in the nfl.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Great question RFS! Always interesting to see what a difference a day makes -- or can make, or should make.

Still feel VERY disappointed and sad from the battle we lost so badly yesterday. But, yes ... I too feel somewhat encouraged, mostly because it's only one game, the 1st game. I'm usually optimistic and the Rams are, right now, keeping my level of optimism right where I like it.

I believe all three components, offense, defense and ST will improve gradually via good coaching. I realize this is more "feeling" than facts but it's how I deem our next few games.

btimsah Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bellingerga View Post
    sometimes the top pick O linemen, and high dollar free agents just end up being a bust, its unfortunate, Im not a ram fan but if im correct, you guys have a decent amount of money spent on that O line right?

Anyway, as a seahawks fan, we're kind of facing the same thing in Chris Spencer, we drafted him in the first round and he's just been gawd awful for us, it seems like even Vallos is an upgrade at this point.

Just never know how college skill is going to translate in the nfl.
    The problem is the entire line sucks. They always have, no matter who their coach is. Too many bad pass blockers who are not very agile and/or smart, combined with a horrible backfield at pass blocking and you have utter fail.

maxxdigger is offline Registered User

you know what is sad that most of you on here only put the blame on the o-line and nothing on bulger that sickens me. why dont you shut up about the o-line complain about running backs not blocking, wide receivers not getting open on full blitz's and bulger for not getting it to them. Lets just look at the fact that mark had more time to throw the ball the he did all last season. he had a pocket which he did not stay in. I am sick of it last time i checked the o-line didnt throw the dang ball. He missed open receivers that could have led to big plays. our o-line is not the greatest but certainly not the worst.

you ALL really need to look at yourself you bash people who says bulger sucks maybe you should bash yourself for saying that the whole entire o-line sucks. Everybody was at fault for that lame showing that include bulger, jackson, the teen squad, The coaches

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by btimsah View Post
    as long as Bulger is playing behind that offensive line.. We won't be scoring much. Same as last two years. Sad.
    Oh great another bash bulger reply, but until he shows us different gotta say you are right. Here's to proving you wrong next week!

I predict 300 yard passing game for bulger~
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

kegger56 is offline Registered User

I was impressed by your LB play, especially for it being soo young. I know this is hard, but maybe playing a much, much improved Hawks team at a very loud Qwest field will help you out for the rest of the season! I mean the Rams went through alot of changes and a slow start was really to be expected and maybe this past game excellerated the growing. The part I loved was watching Curry and Jackson getting into it for both teams. To me this showed that the Hawks rookie isn't afraid to mix it up with a complete NFL stud, and it showed the huge heart and fight that SJ has. SJ will will this team to wins this year no doubt, and it really might start next week. All in all it was just week 1 and in a wierd way both teams may be better off for what happened Sunday.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by kegger56 View Post
    I was impressed by your LB play, especially for it being soo young. I know this is hard, but maybe playing a much, much improved Hawks team at a very loud Qwest field will help you out for the rest of the season! I mean the Rams went through alot of changes and a slow start was really to be expected and maybe this past game excellerated the growing. The part I loved was watching Curry and Jackson getting into it for both teams. To me this showed that the Hawks rookie isn't afraid to mix it up with a complete NFL stud, and it showed the huge heart and fight that SJ has. SJ will will this team to wins this year no doubt, and it really might start next week. All in all it was just week 1 and in a wierd way both teams may be better off for what happened Sunday.
    Great post. I too see that. We got beat bad week one. We really did nothing right, so we know exactly what we need to fix. It was a definite wake up call for our team and we know that we are still a developing team. I always saw Seattle as the hardest stadium to play in, good to get that out of the way first!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

kegger56 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Great post. I too see that. We got beat bad week one. We really did nothing right, so we know exactly what we need to fix. It was a definite wake up call for our team and we know that we are still a developing team. I always saw Seattle as the hardest stadium to play in, good to get that out of the way first!
    It will give some good game film and I think it's better than if you would have barely lost to a team that really struggled giving a "false sense of self" so to speak. I personally think that this game helped to point out flaws and will make the team work that much harder, especially since they were in the game until the 12 men on field thing.

DistantRam is offline Registered User

It's great to see informed and intelligent discussion from fans of other teams on here- we need more of that. Welcome aboard, bellingerga and kegger56; I hope that you stay all season and not just make appearances when we play your team.

Quote Originally Posted by bellingerga View Post
    you guys have a decent amount of money spent on that O line right?
    We have two first round picks of our own and two very expensive free agents on our line, so it ought to be a lot better than it is. Of our first-rounders, Jason Smith was making his first NFL start, so we'll go easy on him and Alex Barron had a good game: he'll never be a stud LT in the Orlando Pace or Walter Jones mould, but he's far better on the blind side than he is on the right and can certainly make that spot his own.

It's our two costly FA acquisitions who were especially disappointing, though: Jason Brown was making his first start for us and can't have been helped by having Richie Incognito and Jacob Bell either side of him but one would still expect more from someone who signed a $37.5 million contract. Bell looked like a future Pro Bowler in Tennessee but has regressed markedly since signing his $36 million contract with the Rams. He really ought to go at the end of this year, unless he gets his act together again.

Quote Originally Posted by kegger56 View Post
    I was impressed by your LB play, especially for it being soo young.
    What a lot of our so-called "fans" seem to forget is that this is a very young team- I was reading somewhere that in the course of the off-season, we've gone from being the third oldest to the third youngest squad in the NFL. We've got young guys like Laurinaitis, Long, Wade, Avery, Robinson and others who have the potential to be very good players in the years to come. I'm not saying that they're all going to become Pro Bowlers, of course, but they all have the ability to do very well indeed. It's up to the coaching staff to extract that ability from them.

Anyway, in response to the opening question posed in the thread, I'm disappointed that we lost so badly and even more so that Spags seems to have absolved that idiot Cogs of all responsibility. However, I'm encouraged that we've got some good youngsters for the future. By 2011, I expect to see this team challenging again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast