Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Re: 2008 NFL DRAFT RAMS PICK (Round 3, 65th overall): John Greco, OL, Toledo

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Who are those better players? Maybe at other positions, but not really at OL. Greco was one of the best OL available when we picked, IMO. Collins is the only guy I think you could make a strong case for taking before him, and he's still waiting to be picked so something's up there. You could argue we should have gone another position here, but we need OL and the talent there isn't going to get better the further you go in the draft.
    Another position. Are the Rams really that bad off at OL to draft a project at this point? Weren't all the injuries the cause of the disaster with OL last season? Last season the majority of fans and experts were saying it was the injuries (unprecedented amount of OL injuries). Now we are to believe it was the lack of bodies or depth? The Rams signed an OG in FA. And this rookie (despite Linehan's verbal enthusiasm) is a project at this point. I do not see how Greco will be the savior if the Rams were to defy unprecedented odds and lose the entire OL again next season.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    Another position. Are the Rams really that bad off at OL to draft a project at this point?
    You feel he's a project, the Rams disagree if they see him competing at RT immediately. We don't have a third tackle on the roster right now, so even taking the injury situation out of the equation, we at least needed depth there. Personally I love the idea of getting someone to push Barron at that spot.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

He's only a project if we move him to offensive guard. If we try him at tackle, he knows how to do it, it's just a question of whether his reach will be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Cog has missed a lot of time he gets hurt every year or so it seems.
    Well tell that to Linehan, since he is saying Greco is going to push Barron (the only OL that played every game last season). Does not sound like they even know where they want this guy to play. It sounds like he is just a body at this point, as if they are expecting the same amount of injuries as last season. Typically these types of rookie guys leave a bit to be desired when they are thrust into a starting role at this level. Who knows, maybe this guy is special?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    You feel he's a project, the Rams disagree if they see him competing at RT immediately. We don't have a third tackle on the roster right now, so even taking the injury situation out of the equation, we at least needed depth there. Personally I love the idea of getting someone to push Barron at that spot.
    Linehan is the only person who is on record as saying this guy will push Barron at this point. Personally I will wait to see that! Pace is the one that needs pushed at this point, IMO. And if Pace can not go then maybe we will find out real quick if this guy can start immediately at RT.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Another position. Are the Rams really that bad off at OL to draft a project at this point?
    Ferter how does playing two spots on the O line, which is becoming a must in the NFL, make him a project? It's not like he was a DT and switched to LT and only played one year at LT. I think project is a bit of a reach IMO.
    Last edited by Rambos; -04-27-2008 at 01:35 PM.

Ferter how does playing two spots on the O line, which is becoming a must in the NFL, make him a project? It's not like he was a DT and switched to LT and only played one year at LT. I think project is a bit of a reach IMO.
    I am calling him a project because of what I have read and listened to in the way of reports on this guy. He played LT in college. It seems to be a consensus among experts that he is not suited for LT in the NFL. Some of these experts are saying or alluding to him not being suited for RT in the NFL. Now, that leaves OG. So, in my mind, he would be a project at that position since he has not played interior OL, especially at the NFL level.

They put speed rushers on RT in the NFL (especially if there is a weakness) and this guy is reported as not being well equipped physically (short arms) and athletically to handle speed rushers at the college level. And NFL speed rushers are much more likely to expose these weaknesses than the college level talent one would face at Toledo. So, if you try him out at RT, that sounds like a project to me.

And what makes you think he can play at all positions when there is no consensus that he is suited for RT?

And since when is it a must that all OL be suited to play every OL position?

I would agree that it would be ideal to have one or, better yet, 2 guys on your bench that could hold their own at every OL position. As of right now is there any evidence that Greco is a guy like that?

Besides that, how many 3rd round rookies can or have ever been able to fill this Mr. Versatile role, along the OL, at a stellar level their first or even second, season?

Hell, most of them struggle just to learn the playbook and the complex blocking schemes. Remember the struggles Barron had? Heck he still struggles at times and he was a First Round pick who played LT and was projected by a consensus to at least be a RT at the NFL level. After last season we have now seen that he could play LT as well.

But what the hell do I know. Perhaps this Greco is the next Jackie Slater, then again, I might have as equal a chance to win the lotto as he is the next Jackie Slater.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I don't see Greco being the starter this year. Only way he starts is if someone gets hurt. We have a good line this year, lets hope for the best.

Not a bad pick though. Good depth

The Special One is offline Registered User

I'd much rather we'd gone with Connor with this pick. Then again Greco could be a great player in this league.

Talking up John Greco
    By Jeff Gordon
    04/27/2008 12:00 pm

Here is what Rams coach Scott Linehan had to saw about his third-round pick:

“For us, he can play any position because he has done it. He played his whole college career at tackle and the whole idea is that because of his versatility we just feel him having the ability to start at right tackle, left tackle in a pinch, but certainly can be moved into guard. The center thing just comes up because of his intelligence and his ability to play the game and that’s really more where that is. Being that he played tackle his whole career, that has got to be the comfort level for him and for us it is a great pick because we needed some depth across there.

“I just want to touch on some of the things Billy (Devaney) talked about. This guy’s make-up is what you are looking for in a football player. We stayed with the philosophy of these guys coming out that were smart, compassionate and productive and this guy was A-plus across the board on all of that. It’s just adding that football character to this football team. This is really exciting for me. I just couldn’t be more happy with this guy’s make-up as well.”

And . . .

“He is going to compete right away. We are just being realistic here. He is adding depth across the board on our line. I think the realistic part is he is going to be competing right away, whether it’s this year or part way through the year, I don’t know. It’s probably too early to say but he definitely has the make-up to compete sooner than later that’s for sure.”

And . . .

“Well we had him at the Combine and our visit with him actually out in the hallway at the Combine for quite a bit of time as he was waiting for our meeting, he came in on the pre-draft visit. It is nice to put that kind of time in with the players and get to know them as people because that is a big part of this process. When you meet him, you are going to know this is an offensive lineman and it’s important to him and he loves football. It’s just going to be a great addition to the group. I think he adds a lot of what we are looking for to this football team.”

And . . .

“He is a physical player, he is strong, I think he is one of the strongest players at the Combine if I remember right, on the bench and all of that stuff. He has got a really strong lower body and he played out at tackle, the last couple of years at left tackle, but I think that is probably one the best things he does. That other thing with this right tackle, you want to have a physical guy there.”

And what makes you think he can play at all positions when there is no consensus that he is suited for RT?
    I guess the FO of the Rams, they do get paid for this stuff.

Coach, “For us, he can play any position because he has done it".“For us, he can play any position because he has done it.

And since when is it a must that all OL be suited to play every OL position?
    I said two spots NOT all. It really helps to be able to play more then one, we all seen that last year.

I would agree that it would be ideal to have one or, better yet, 2 guys on your bench that could hold their own at every OL position. As of right now is there any evidence that Greco is a guy like that?
    Rams think he can play more then one spot. For us, he can play any position because he has done it.

Besides that, how many 3rd round rookies can or have ever been able to fill this Mr. Versatile role, along the OL, at a stellar level their first or even second, season?
    345, I don't know, the Rams FO feel he can get it done.

Ferter, my take is it's not a real reach here, I have seen worse. Hagen as a WR was, how about converting QB Eric Crouch to WR, thats may idea of a project.

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

I was ok with this pick until I heard we planned on keeping him at tackle. This guy is a guard in the NFL.

I guess the FO of the Rams, they do get paid for this stuff.

Coach, “For us, he can play any position because he has done it".“For us, he can play any position because he has done it.

I said two spots NOT all. It really helps to be able to play more then one, we all seen that last year.

Rams think he can play more then one spot. For us, he can play any position because he has done it.

345, I don't know, the Rams FO feel he can get it done.

Ferter, my take is it's not a real reach here, I have seen worse. Hagen as a WR was, how about converting QB Eric Crouch to WR, thats may idea of a project.
    So, the FO and Linehan makes you think he can play at all positions. Well I suppose that is good enough answer. Since neither has ever been wrong.

Linehan is just talking the guy up. The FO (Devaney) is on record as saying he likes Greco's character and when injuries hit he will be valuable.

Linehan thinks Greco could play both T positions, well LT in a pinch, and of course OG. Linehan also states that because the guy is smart he thinks he could play C. Linehan says he can play every position because he has done it, yet he played T his entire career?

Ok Scott?

They have no defined role for him other than depth. They are just talking him up. I'm sure he is fine for depth, yet he is an OL PROJECT at this point.

My original contention was not with Greco in general, rather the timing of this position, when I felt there were better players available at other positions.

Re: #3 2008 NFL DRAFT RAMS PICK (Round 3, 65th overall): John Greco, OL, Toledo

So, the FO and Linehan makes you think he can play at all positions. Well I suppose that is good enough answer. Since neither has ever been wrong.
    I think the FO knows a hell of a lot more then I do, so yes. And that includes Linehan current HC of the Rams.

Can you tell me, who will start at C for the Rams in 08? How about RG?

Re: #3 2008 NFL DRAFT RAMS PICK (Round 3, 65th overall): John Greco, OL, Toledo

Post Dispatch Draft Capsule...

ROUND 3 (No. 65 overall): JOHN GRECO
    Position: Offensive tackle
    Height, weight: 6-4, 326
    College: Toledo

COLLEGE RECAP
    Greco was the first offensive lineman to win the school’s Norman Cohen Award as
    the team’s top freshman. After starting at right tackle his first year, he
    moved to the left side for his final three years. He was a member of the
    All-Mid-American Conference first team his final two seasons and a team captain
    and third-team All-American his senior year.

PLUSES
    Good bone structure. Goes full blast until the whistle. Uses his size and
    lower-body strength to get movement off the snap. Has the knee-bend to stay low
    in his pads off the snap and good recovery quickness to protect the pocket.

MINUSES
    Lacks the athleticism and long arms to be effective reaching and mirroring edge
    rushers on the left side. Looks a bit sluggish trying to go long distances.
    Occassionally comes off a block early. Tends to lunge when punching if he gets
    his hands on the outside.

PROJECTED ROLE
    Could become the Rams third tackle, though he also could see time at guard.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast