Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: 3, 4 or 5 years?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

3, 4 or 5 years?

Typically a new head coach is allowed at least 3 years to turn a team around. I've also read that in reality it takes a solid 5 years of drafting to turn around a team.
    As we all know Fisher had us finish last season at 7-8-1 and we are going to either be 8-8 or 7-9 at the end of this season. I feel like there has definitely been progress made over the last 2 seasons but what will we accept in 2014, season 3 under Fisher. Will 7,8 or 9 wins be enough to keep the fan base behind Fisher? I for one will support Fisher at least until and through his 5th year as our head coach.
    RamDez and PARamfan like this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: 3, 4 or 5 years?

Five years, definitely.

In year 3, I expect that the Rams will have a winning record and be in the hunt for a playoff spot.

In years 4-5, I hope the Rams will contend for it all.
    RamDez, Rambos, laram0 and 4 others like this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I expect the playoffs next season.

Randart is offline Registered User

To be honest though even if we back slid/slide a bit next season cause of more rookies playing... I would still give Fish the benefit of the doubt. I am just a Jeff Fisher fan, and the fact we got Les Snead backing his play and Dems doing the deals! I have said before this franchise has not had many regimes remotely close to this in ability to operate functionally for the long term. Fish would have to cause a mutiny in the locker room to have me lose faith in him! The organization seems more cohesive than in any recent memory to me!
    MauiRam, laram0 and hawaiianpunch like this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

7-9 worst case this year with a back up QB last 7 games to boot. With Sam back, I would expect 10 wins next year and in the playoffs.......or in the hunt until the final game. Years 4 and 5, we are one the best teams in the league
    live4ramin and PARamfan like this.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

I would take just being in the thick of things year in and year out for the next few years. As weird as it sounds I am ok with 9-7 every year because that means we are at leat playing meaningful football down to the wire. Most often a 9-7 record has gotten one of the wild card spots the last few seasons. This is the only year where both wild cards have had at least 10 wins since 02' I beleive.

Rambos is offline Registered User

If we stay healthy and don't have a winning record Bradford seat will be hotter then Fisher IMO. I thought we would win ten this year and be in the hunt. If Sam stays up I think we beat the Hawks and play better against the Titans.

Next year I want to see a faster start. We looked terrible in preseason and played poor in the first four games. The defense should come back with most if not all the players back, I would hope we play from day one like we have the last five weeks.

The offense, we should stay with the 12 and trash the spread ideas. The Pats won a lot of games using it we should keep rolling with it,

The playoffs this year where kind of a long shot next year will be more then disappointing if we don't make it. As far as Fisher goes he is in year two of a five year deal. He needs to make the playoffs within the next two year or he will be a lame duck coach in year five.
    live4ramin and mde8352gorams like this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Five years, definitely.

In year 3, I expect that the Rams will have a winning record and be in the hunt for a playoff spot.

In years 4-5, I hope the Rams will contend for it all.

My sentiments exactly. Nothing at all unreasonable about this time frame.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

When it comes to coach of the year discussions, you hear about people saying Bill Belichick because the Pats are still good when everyone didn't expect them to be. Ron Rivera because the Panthers are better than people thought. Bruce Arians because the Cards are better than they thought

But none of those coaches have lost their starting QB due to injury and have still been able to win games. Why doesn't Jeff Fisher get coach of the year plaudits? I'd like to see the Panthers or Pats win this year without Newton or Brady.
    HUbison, live4ramin and Randart like this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

While Jeff Fisher has done a great job of holding the team together in light of Bradford's injury, he shouldn't get the award this year. Ron Rivera- a guy who started out 0-2 and was on the hot seat- and Bruce Arians- a guy who had never had a true head coaching job- are very deserving candidates.

LAST YEAR was the year he could have gotten it- going from 2 to 7 wins while revamping the entire organization.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Yeah he should have got it last year .

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    When it comes to coach of the year discussions, you hear about people saying Bill Belichick because the Pats are still good when everyone didn't expect them to be. Ron Rivera because the Panthers are better than people thought. Bruce Arians because the Cards are better than they thought

But none of those coaches have lost their starting QB due to injury and have still been able to win games. Why doesn't Jeff Fisher get coach of the year plaudits? I'd like to see the Panthers or Pats win this year without Newton or Brady.
    I hear you, tomahawk. And I agree with the sentiment. But ultimately, I doubt the voters look at a non-playoff team for the award.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Typically a new head coach is allowed at least 3 years to turn a team around. I've also read that in reality it takes a solid 5 years of drafting to turn around a team.
    As we all know Fisher had us finish last season at 7-8-1 and we are going to either be 8-8 or 7-9 at the end of this season. I feel like there has definitely been progress made over the last 2 seasons but what will we accept in 2014, season 3 under Fisher. Will 7,8 or 9 wins be enough to keep the fan base behind Fisher? I for one will support Fisher at least until and through his 5th year as our head coach.
    For a team to be consistently good, that team must have solid depth. Depth is obtained via the draft. Free agents are expensive, and more of a luxury. Add to that the fact that if a team misses on an expensive FA, it is far more damaging cap-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    The thing that hasn't been mentioned is that in the salary cap era punctuated by the recent CBA it is financially beneficial to find talented rookies and have them develop rather than find the costlier veterans through Free Agency. At the end of the day this is still a business and if you develop a young team that costs less to sustain over time you have a successful business model. The trick is to find the young talent that will create the winning you are looking to achieve. I feel the Rams are going that way and I believe next season we'll see the results of that effort. The wild card is injuries and you have to build insurance against that by having depth within the roster.
    This IMO is a great post. Particularly with regard to the "wildcard" factor. Every team sooner or later has to deal with significant injuries to key players - it's unfortunately part of the game. Teams that are able to cope with this wildcard factor successfully are teams with deep rosters, and a solid organization from the owner on down.

When Fish/Sneads' plan is fully implemented, the Rams will be afforded the opportunity of re-signing key players players either previously drafted by them or acquired as free agents before their contracts are up. Lock up the cream (guys who've proven themselves and already know the system/playbook), and keep improving through the draft.

For this plan to be fully implemented (IMO) it will take perhaps 5 years, maybe six. When in place, the wait will have been worth it. There is already a team which has utilized this philosophy successfully. That team is the one that our new owner has acknowledged he wishes to emulate from the front office on down. The buck stops with one guy on that team.

When Stan took over 100% of the Rams, he began implementing that same plan: Demoff, Fisher and Snead; with everyone top to bottom knowing the buck stops with Jeff Fisher. No back stabbing, yammering, squabbling etc. We may hate the aforementioned team, but one must acknowledge their success. That would be the Patsies of course.

Perhaps one might equate a really deep roster with sharks' teeth. When a shark's tooth is broken or falls out, there is already another one in place right behind it, just waiting its turn on the shark conveyor belt. Talk about depth! Of course, that sort of "depth" evolved over millions of years with no free agents, whereas the Rams should be able to turn the trick in only 5 or 6 .. Right?

jmk321 is offline Registered User

There is no way Jeff Fischer should lose his job after next year unless there is a complete collapse and the team only wins 3 or 4 games. This is still an incredibly young team and he and his staff have done an excellent job of coaching up the players and getting them to buy into his system and play hard every week. This easily could've been a 10 win team this year without the Bradford injury and in 2014-2016, when all the early draft picks have developed, the coach that helped build what will hopefully be a Super Bowl quality roster should be there to finish the job.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Fish needs to stick around for at least 2 more seasons. That said, this team needs to show more discipline.. primarily in terms of foolish penalties. They currently stand at #4 in the league, with 111 of them. It must also be noted that Seattle and Denver are among the most penalized teams (they are the only playoff bound teams in the top 10)...but the Rams are making more mistakes than just penalties. I really hope to see more mental focus (from the players), on game day.
    Last edited by Fargo Ram Fan; -12-24-2013 at 04:50 PM.
    RedAlice and Haste like this.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast