throwback week

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: 3, 4 or 5 years?

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Re: 3, 4 or 5 years?

I think it'd take a couple of catastrophic years without major injury excuses to even warm up Fisher's seat. I also think The Rams have been slowly adding viable foundation pieces since Limpehan so a bit of injury luck next year could propel this team into genuine contenders pretty quickly. The performances vs CHI and Indy, especially, were playoff caliber,imo. Not because of flashy plays or performance as much as consistent team execution. The talent is more or less there now, just a matter of them coming together,imo.
    MauiRam likes this.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    what will we accept in 2014, season 3 under Fisher. Will 7,8 or 9 wins be enough to keep the fan base behind Fisher?

For me, it's less the # of wins and more whether Rams contend for playoffs in year 3 & get a slot in year 4 or 5. Hey, if 7 wins gets a playoff berth, then it doesn't matter. If he gets 9+ wins and no playoff spot... well then I'm sure we'll have some threads about his future

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

We need to get to 9+ wins next season, I'd consider finishing 9-7 next season adequate progress, 10-6 would be great.
    Haste likes this.

hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

We better spend our pick on a OL. preferably a guard keeping Bradford and Zac Stacy healthy would mean playoffs for us i think. After seeing the Emergence of Tavon, Bailey, and a hint of quick. I don't think we need a WR anymore. Fisher has done a good job with these kids, and I think we need to give him more time considering the burst of promise against caliber teams like the colts, saints, and bears. If we had the running game churning since the beginning of the season. 1. Bradford might still be playing 2. Stacy would probably be offensive rookie of the year 3. We would be in the hunt for the playoffs. 4 we would have beat the falcons, Lesbian Seagirls, and the titans making us a contender for playoffs. 5 years is just fine by me.
    Last edited by hawaiianpunch; -12-27-2013 at 08:34 PM.

mh-i is offline Registered User

The Rams will have to get out of their own division first. The 9ers and Seahawks both have young QBs and all 3 division teams have a good defense. Other than AZ I don't see a major drop-off coming from NFC West teams anytime soon. The Rams MIGHT have one of the best teams in the NFL in year 5 of Fisher and not make it to the post season.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

It took Dick Vermeil 3 years to turn the bottom-dwelling Rams into a Super Bowl winning team, anything less than that for Fisher in his 3rd year will be considered a huge disappointment….. I kid, I kid. I personally think playoffs would be the obvious next step for this team, which would be tough considering the division we're in.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

This is a good question because it seems to me we need to find a way to add 3-4 wins next season to contend for the playoffs. That would put Fisher in the 3 year time frame to "turn things around". If we get to that plateau then he can stay as long as he wishes because he'll have shown Stan that this is the way to get it done. Unless there's a severe regression, I think Fisher will get as long as he wants.

As was said earlier the competition within the division will pose a challenge, but I think we'll be ascending while the others may begin to drop a bit. Seattle and SF will encounter cap problems as their QB's reach their 2nd contracts and we will have solved ours (hopefully) by that point. With Fisher and Snead the arrow is pointing up so I don't see a time frame being imposed.

Go Rams!

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Actually I am a more harsh grader on Fisher and consider 2013 a BUST year.

After 2011, what did the Rams really have for a team--not a lot and last I looked Sprag is out of the NFL. At the End of 2012, Fisher & Co. with what was left of the 2011 and some upgrades ran the tables in the division.

Come 2013 at the end of it, the Rams season is over while the Card, being even in worst shape in 2012 have preseason hopes--that's a major step backward for the Rams. Further its made worst by the simple fact the Rams had the advantage of the RGIII deal.

Player wise, (A+) for what Fisher & Co. have done...how Fisher and Co. used those players in 2013 (D-). My guess is that 2014 is make or break for Jeff Fisher. If ownership does toss Fisher to the curb and gets a creative and inspiring HC, 2015 the Rams runs the table and is a serious contender to win all the marbles

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    Actually I am a more harsh grader on Fisher and consider 2013 a BUST year.

After 2011, what did the Rams really have for a team--not a lot and last I looked Sprag is out of the NFL. At the End of 2012, Fisher & Co. with what was left of the 2011 and some upgrades ran the tables in the division.

Come 2013 at the end of it, the Rams season is over while the Card, being even in worst shape in 2012 have preseason hopes--that's a major step backward for the Rams. Further its made worst by the simple fact the Rams had the advantage of the RGIII deal.

Player wise, (A+) for what Fisher & Co. have done...how Fisher and Co. used those players in 2013 (D-). My guess is that 2014 is make or break for Jeff Fisher. If ownership does toss Fisher to the curb and gets a creative and inspiring HC, 2015 the Rams runs the table and is a serious contender to win all the marbles
    Fisher kept the team together with Sam out and the youngest roster in the league. I think that's better than a D-.

You can't argue that at least on paper the 2013 Rams have greater depth and skill players then 2012. The Rams won some games they shouldn't have (Saints/Colts games to name 2), but lost games they should have won (Falcons/Titians to name 2). It could be argued the Rams should have beat the Seagulls at the first meeting, but it can't be argued that the Rams where not rolled by the 49whinners. Not sure what schools other peoples have gone to but getting the job done 50%+ of the time is a <F> or <D-> grade.

And whose job is it to acquire and developed a 2nd QB that gives you a real chance to win incase your 1st line QB goes down? And its not like the NFC-West is full of push-over teams. If you don't have a ground game, solid defense, better then average QB play in the NFC West, your just not going anywhere--like the Rams not seeing the 2013 post-season. Funny the 49whinners/Seagulls and maybe the Cards will, but they have a ground game, solid defense and better then average QB play.

Am sure we can find plenty of EXCUSES for why the Rams under achieved this year. However, I am only interested in results. The youngest team in the NFL, OK, granted, but they are men, grown men who have been playing this game all their lives. And seriously I don't think much of the Rams failings is because of the players themselves....I put the tail of that donkey squarely on coaching

PARamfan is offline Registered User

Next year I expect us to springboard to a winning record meaning maybe 9- 10 wins. But look around the NFC landscape and there are gonna be some 10 win teams watching playoffs so it can't be a playoff or bust mentality and especially cause we are in the best division in football!

Quote Originally Posted by PARamfan View Post
    Next year I expect us to springboard to a winning record meaning maybe 9- 10 wins. But look around the NFC landscape and there are gonna be some 10 win teams watching playoffs so it can't be a playoff or bust mentality and especially cause we are in the best division in football!
    Nothing less the 12-4 would do for me. Seriously one of the best defenses in the NFL, who have the most sacks of the 32 teams. A tweak or two from perhaps the VERY best defense, an offense that has potential now that it has a few weapons, unlike seasons past, two first round draft picks coming up who have had extra draft picks, a 12-4 record doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

Its all a matter of picking up what is needed which are much fewer then seasons past. It also comes back to how those pieces are used. The Rams should already should be mentioned among the elite teams, not in conversations where they are talked about as an after thought

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12