AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

3 Things Martz is Unjustly Criticized For

Before I get to the list... a disclaimer. I am NOT trying to argue that Martz is flawless or even that he is a "great" coach. Frankly, I go back and forth on my support of Martz as much as anyone else. That said, I think that there are a few things that fans and the media criticize Martz for unjustly, and here are the top 3:

1. "Martz can't draft": There are two reasons why this criticism is unfair. First, Martz is hardly solely responsible for the Rams selections. While he clearly has had a couple of "pet" picks that have not worked out (Canidate, Crouch), it is also likely that some of the picks that missed were favorites of Armey and, possibly, Lovie Smith. Second, the Rams have made some real quality picks under Martz, including real "finds" like Jeremetrius Butler, Travis Fisher, Anthony Hargrove and even a guy like Chris Massey. Is Martz a draft "genius"? No. Is he totally inept? Again, no.

2. "Martz needlessly burns timeouts and challenges": I've heard this one so many times, particularly from the morons on ESPN. But ask yourself this question: how many times have the Rams scored on drives when Martz slowed things down with a timeout or a challenge, as compared to the number of times the Rams were truly burned by the lack of timeouts or challenges at the end of a half or game. Frankly, I can only think of one example of the latter - when the Rams would have benefitted against Tampa had they saved a challenge. Just because something is unorthodox, doesn't mean its wrong.

3. "Martz is going to play a QB at WR...": A lot of teams change the positions of players. While converting a QB to another position is unusual, it has worked. Look at Antuan Randel-El (who the Rams were high on, but missed out on taking, when they took Eric Crouch). Heck, Nolan Cromwell was a converted QB.

So, if you want to say Martz sometimes abandons the run... I'm with you (though, interestingly, he does so no more than they do in Indianapolis, and you never hear anyone calling their coaches "Mad"). If you want to say that he sometimes says too much publicly when he should just pull a Bill Parcells "no comment," no argument there.

But some of the stereotypical Martz-bashing themes are simply not warranted.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Re: 3 Things Martz is Unjustly Criticized For

True. I agree. Although Playing QB's at safety is a stretch compared to using Randel El for punt returns, and receiver.

But I don't criticize him for these things...

My beef is his play calling and team management. I think he's miles away from the inovative play caller he was a few years back, and hasn't made the necessary adjustments to keep his team one (or 2) steps ahead of the defense.

And his team management isn't a huge concern of mine, but he's definitely had a huge learning curve in dealing with team cohesiveness. He should be thankfull they made a run late last year, cuz there was a possibility of it coming apart at the seams. And yes, I credit him in a large way for the late season run, but still, lucky it all worked out.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

The only thing that truly bothers me with Martz is when he feels the need to consistently go for the end zone from the 20, instead of getting the first down.

Other than that, he's ok in my book. He may be unorthodox (something people hate and will unjustly criticize), but you can't argue with his success thus far. I would love nothing more than for him to win a Super Bowl as head coach, and then see what all the doubters have to say.

moklerman is offline Registered User

First, Martz is hardly solely responsible for the Rams selections.
    I don't know that he's solely responsible but I do know he's the head coach of the team making the picks. I would imagine he at least has a teency, tiny amount of say in who finally get's drafted.
    Is he totally inept? Again, no.
    There are very few examples of a totally inept NFL team so I agree that he's not inept. But enough of his "pet's" or "projects" have backfired that I think he deserves the criticism he get's when it comes to draft day. He's going to have to come up with a real diamond in the rough, low round, all-pro to erase the memory of just Eric Crouch. I would like to think a conventional third round pick would have added some nice depth and dare I even imagine...a starter, for the Rams.
    "Martz needlessly burns timeouts and challenges":
    Normally, I agree that the "needless" timeouts don't come back to haunt the Rams but I lost a lot of respect for Martz when he purposely burned his last timeouts for the sole purpose of thumbing his nose at the critics (that I thought he didn't even read in the first place). Against the Jets last year at the end of the first half. Very childish.
    While converting a QB to another position is unusual, it has worked.
    If it was just Crouch that would be one thing but when you add Bellisari(sp?) and Sorensen and whoever else I'm forgetting it becomes a cause for concern. Add to that some of the other risks the Rams have taken on guys like Little and Hargrove. An occassional project with a huge upside is fine but you can't do it every year and expect the depth of the team not to suffer.
    though, interestingly, he does so no more than they do in Indianapolis, and you never hear anyone calling their coaches "Mad").
    Although the Rams and Colts may have a similar pass/run ratio, Martz's flaw is that he does it in streaks. 10, 12, 13 passes in a row then 8 or 9 runs in a row isn't "balanced".
    But some of the stereotypical Martz-bashing themes are simply not warranted.
    This is probably true but it's also sad that there is such a list of criticisms that we can make a list out of the one's that are marginal.
    I think he's miles away from the inovative play caller he was a few years back, and hasn't made the necessary adjustments to keep his team one (or 2) steps ahead of the defense.
    Give that man a cigar!
    but you can't argue with his success thus far.
    If only that were true. I think the amount of success the Rams have or haven't acheived under Martz is very debatable. Thus, all the debate and controversy.

RamTime Guest

Avenger, like you, I go back and fourth on Martz as well. When I look at everything now and put it into a perspective minus the emotion of losing, I have to agree with you. I have probably been one of the most vocal about Martz shortcomings however I now see that things are not always as they first appear. I'm glad he is our head coach.

majorram is offline Registered User

Nice thread!!

You know why I love Mad Martz... it's because 'HE's' different than the other HC around the league, you cannot argue with the success the guy has had with the Rams.......

steve :ramlogo:

ramstiles is offline Registered User

I know we get a roller coaster ride with martz but at least I enjoy the ride which I didn't when we had all the HC's after robinson (excluding vermeil)