Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RockinRam is online now Registered User

Re: With the 33rd pick of the draft, the Rams select Rodger Saffold, OL, Indiana

Here's a scouting report:

by darwithabar on Mar 20, 2010 11:22 PM EDT

Rodger Safflold
    6'5, 318 pounds | Offensive tackle | Indiana
    Awareness-Good awareness, however, Ive seen him whiff on a couple blocks. Usually doesn't have a problem recognizing his assignment and executing it.
    Strength-Really lacks the strength to be effective against bull rushers. Is at his best finessing the opposing linemen. He did 27 reps at the combine which isn't stellar. Should improve his strength with a professional strength and conditioning coach.
    Reliability- Solid in this department. Played 41 games as a 4 year starter at IU. He was put in with 6 games left in his freshman year and hasn't looked back since. Shouldn't have a problem staying healthy in the NFL.

Technique-You really notice his knees bending when you watch him. Has a good punch and burst off the ball. He went up against several of the best pass rushers in the big 10 and did very well against most. His technique could use a little refining as any ones and he shouldn't have a problem with this, he is very coach-able according to the IU staff.
    Versatility-Very versatile, could play either LG or LT. Has all the qualities of a solid Lt but most think he projects better at LG. Even though he hasn't played much LG, most scouts feel he would even be better at LG. Still, I see him as a LT.
    Quickness-Really displayed good quickness at the Senior Bowl, absolutely shut down Greg Hardy and Rahim Alem at the Senior Bowl. Displayed great ability to seal the edge and knock the DEs off their first step. Displayed all the ability that zone blocking schemed teams look for.
    Pass Blocking-Above Average pass blocker. He isn't elite but he definitely holds his own. Gets back in his stance fast and shuffles his feet quickly. Really, His quick feet make him a very promising pass blocker in a zone blocking scheme. He could seal off the edge against some of the best pass rushers in the Big 10. However, He isn't an NFL ready pass blocker and seems to do better with help.
    Run Blocking- Really Good, Really struggles with bull rushing DL, but this could be due to his lack of strength. One thing I noticed is his ability to get to the second level which is promising. He just gets tangled up at the line with bigger stronger DL. However, his ability to get to the second level shows he could be a solid run blocker when he adds strength. He displayed very good run blocking in the Senior Bowl.
    Integrity- According to every IU fans I talked to, this guy is just balls to the wall on every play. One reason his coaches played him so early was his leadership by example. Again, that's from IU fans so take it for what its worth. Ive searched for character concerns and I couldn't find any. From what they say, I didn't expect it. He sounds like a 100% guy which is under valued by fans but not coaches.
    Overview-After his impressive performance at the combine and Senior Bowl, Id say he will probably go in the 2nd. He might slip to the 3rd but I doubt it. I really think man-blocking teams will stay far away from him. However, Zone blocking teams will drool over this guy in the 2nd round and I would even bet the first one in the 2nd round takes him.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: With the 33rd pick of the draft, the Rams select Rodger Saffold, OL, Indiana

I wonder if there is a contingent trade here. I'd keep an eye on the Bills.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Can't complain about it. Would like to see a weapon soon though...

Rammed is offline Registered User

Nice one AV, didn't think of that might be a 20% chance but anyway I agree with this pick right now

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Guys i don`t think this means Barron is done just yet..Saffold i think will likely move inside then take over on the right next season or they could be thinking of just keeping him inside for keeps..unless somebody trades for AB i think he`a staying for another year..even if Saffold starts at RT this year..we could do with the durable Barron staying around for insurance...if we trade Barron i think we will target another OT later on...perhaps Calloway if he slips..or someone like Marshall Newhouse. i dont see Saffold being the LT now as i think Smith is more athletic of the two.

am a bit suprised by the pick...but it was made by experts and i havent their experience so i`ll go with their better judgement..they sure need to make sure our new QB gets the protection he needs so is all good..more surprised there wasn`t a trade down really..

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

I'm not a fan of this pick at all. If Jason Smith is the LT of the future, they most certainly could have traded off of this pick and got a similar player a little later to play RT and do some work at guard.

We desperately need help at OLB and RB, and there is some serious talent available at pick 33 at those positions. Will have to wait and see the pick in the 3rd before I get too excited about this one.

Is this kid going to be a good player? Probably, but I just think there might have been more productive players available.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

good pick! send alex barron to drug rehab and we should have a solid line in 2010!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

RockinRam is online now Registered User

I wouldn't mind our line looking like:

Smith - Bell - Brown - Saffold - Barron

But, the 33rd spot is way too high to pick up a guard, considering our circumstances.

IMO, I don't think he should have been selected, because he doesn't look like the ideal run mauler we need. He's a finesse guy.

Richbert88 is online now Registered User

This guy can play inside or outside on the line. He's a high intangibles player with tenacity and leadership qualities.

I like this pick. While looking at what was available, he stood out with about four other guys I wouldn't have minded.

This is good.

And for those 'Suh is gonna kill Sam" guys, this is one more side of beef to get through, if Suh can get past a guy like Brown.
    Semper Fi!

BarronWade is online now Registered User

on the Rams Twitter it says Billy D will start Staffold at RT cuz of his athleticism and toughness

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

I wasn't surprised by that pick makes since. We might see a trade coming 3rd round.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Actually I'm not too mad at this pick we actually walked away with two first round pics.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Kinda disappointed with this pick. I was looking for us to take a OT, but more of a mauler. This guy seems to be more of a finesse player. Was really hoping that we would pick Jared Veldheer. If we can draft a power guard, someone like Jon Jerry, and plug him in I think that would work.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Rather disappointed with this pick. But we should play RT and move Smith over to the left side, how its supposed to be.

I'm really pulling for defense round three...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

LA_Rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Rather disappointed with this pick. But we should play RT and move Smith over to the left side, how its supposed to be.

I'm really pulling for defense round three...
    I agree with the move for Smith to the left side, but not drafting D in the 3rd round. I will be trying to get some offence, ie TE or WR..but if there isn't anything available, then go with DTs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast