Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: With the 33rd pick of the draft, the Rams select Rodger Saffold, OL, Indiana

From Pro Football Weekly...

Will Saffold replace Barron in St. Louis?
    Posted April 23, 2010 @ 6:58 p.m. ET
    By Dan Arkush

So much for trading the first pick on Day Two.

Instead of trading down for more picks to replenish their talent-starved roster, which is what many close observers for the Rams figured would happen, GM Billy Devaney set his sights on Indiana OT Rodger Saffold, a late bloomer that PFW had tabbed as the Colts' likely No. 1 pick in their final mock draft.

Something tells me that Saffold will become a starter right away, but for that to happen, the Rams likely will have to say sayonara to longtime starter Alex Barron, whose durability throughout his career has been offset by his penchant for turning false starts into an art form.

Can you say good-bye Barron? I think you probably can, considering that it's no secret the Rams have made it known for a while now that he could be peddled.

I think you can fast-forward to Week One and envision Saffold and the Rams' No. 1 pick last year, Jason Smith, as the team's starting bookends.

It remains to be seen whether Saffold, a four-year starter at left tackle, stays on the left side at the pro level. That very well could end up being the case with Smith staying on the right side, which is where he played all of last year opposite Barron when he was healthy enough to play.

A big factor will be the physical condition of both Smith, the second overall pick last year who missed a combined eight games with a knee injury and season-ending concussion issues in '09, and Saffold, who has been tabbed by some personnel evaluators as a medical risk due to a quirky back condition.

The original plan was to make Smith the left tackle for the next decade, and I suspect that is probably still the way the Rams would prefer to go. Then again, maybe not if Saffold, who really started showing up on scouts' radar screens after an impressive showing in this year's East-West Shrine Game, continues to impress.

Saffold isn't flashy, but he is considered a very solid, tough, technically sound performer.

The words "technically sound" have never applied to Barron, and with that in mind as much as anything, I would have the say the Rams are 2-for-2 so far in the 2010 draft with a big-time need to keep that batting average at a high level.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: With the 33rd pick of the draft, the Rams select Rodger Saffold, OL, Indiana

Well this pick is an amazing one. Helps Bradford, and Jackson out.

Trade Barron for a fourth or fifth. CYA BARRON YOU IDIOT.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Heard good things about him. Plus, if Barron is gone, than this is a great pick.

But we have got to get weapons soon. I was halfway expecting us to get a WR like Benn or Tate with that #2 pick. I wouldn't mind a good DT (Terrence Cody if he's still there in the 3rd round, but I doubt he will be), but I would really focus on WRs/TEs.

enahs is offline Registered User

I agree. We need a weapon for Bradford. We have our protection.

viper is offline Registered User

It''s a great pick! With our OL injury history and with Barron's status with the team up in the air I think we all knew we needed to make a quality OT a priority to protect our new franchise QB. It may not be sexy, but its a smart move. I too want us to get a TE or a WR next. In fact, I hope we trade up and get Tate or Gronkowski.
    Last edited by viper; -04-23-2010 at 07:44 PM.

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Wonderful pick. Protect the investment you made in Bradford.

Well done, Billy D!

TRUERAMFAN is offline Registered User

WOW WE pass of TAYLOR MAYS!!!!! COME ON MAN!!! This team will never see the light!!! UNREAL!!!!

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Not the most flashy pick but at least we didn't take a WR at 33.....

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Building through the lines is usually a good thing. We dumped Incognito and clearly want to move Barron, so Saffold addresses a need. I'd have probably preferred to trade down, but still a pick I can endorse.

Herron63 is offline Registered User

Good pick in the fact that it makes a lot of sense but I would have much rather seen us take our Jason Witten in Gronkowski. Oh well. Still could get Graham I guess.

BM_Face is offline Registered User

Everything I hear, makes me appreciate this youngster. We needed this depth, and word like dependable, sturdy and tough are just what I like to hear.

As far a trading down, if all the offers stunk, then what should we do? I would still like us to add a blocking TE to help protect Bradford.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BM_Face View Post
    Everything I hear, makes me appreciate this youngster. We needed this depth, and word like dependable, sturdy and tough are just what I like to hear.

As far a trading down, if all the offers stunk, then what should we do? I would still like us to add a blocking TE to help protect Bradford.
    We have one of those in Bajema alreaddy. I like this pick a lot, better run blocker than given credit for and a good pass blocker, very solid with room to grow and get stronger.

thoey is offline Registered User

From Fanball:

Rams take Saffold in second round
    The News

The Rams selected Indiana offensive tackle Rodger Saffold with the first pick in the second round of the 2010 NFL draft.

Our View

The Rams are desperate for wide receivers, so it was thought that they would spend their second pick in that regard, but Saffold is just as smart a choice. He will fill the right tackle spot and should provide a nice duo with Jason Smith to protect top overall pick Sam Bradford. This move should help increase the rookie QBs fantasy value and make his tenure in STL go significantly smoother. Saffold can help with the running game, as well.
    This space for rent...

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TRUERAMFAN View Post
    WOW WE pass of TAYLOR MAYS!!!!! COME ON MAN!!! This team will never see the light!!! UNREAL!!!!
    yeah the Rams passed on Mays. Mays might be fast and hit hard, but i think Saffold could cover better than him!

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Watched the video on NFL.com about Saffold, and one of the reporters stated:

The reason why the Rams didn't trade out of this spot was because of Saffold. The Vikings right below the Rams said they would not let Saffold slide past them, and the Bucs and Raiders similarly stated that too.

Many teams coveted this guy.

I think this was a smart pick.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123